Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We are not alone...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is a large green comet visible tonight.

DON'T LOOK AT IT!

Those who have read Day of the Triffids will know what I mean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main hang up is people saying "The Speed of Light" like it's a thing. A thing like a bullet or a ball or anything else you can hold physically or, for that matter, mentally even as a concept.

Light isn't really physical nor is it energy (in the classical sense) I prefer to think of Light's effects on our physical universe of 4 classical dimensions as an intrusion from a vaster (or smaller, depending on your point of view) multi-dimensional layer. Then things like the double split experiment are pretty easy. A photon doesn't "choose" which slit to travel by it's actually at both slits simultaneously because quantum definitions are imperfect. One would say the probabilities collapse to one point or other but the fundamental way of describing the scenario is flawed. However, it is very convenient with regards to making energy and information useful back in the "real world" in the same way Newton's theories were also useful for the realities of his time.

Physical things can't travel faster than the speed of light, no problems there. But other stuff can: the fabric of space-time itself can expand faster for instance. Then again we're (mis)applying human terms like speed in an almost nonsensical way.

Anyhoo, the issue is not "can we travel at the speed of light" (obviously no) but can we move from Point A to Point B without taking an inordinate amount of time doing it. And that's not the same question.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're being softened up for the big reveal. Trumps already let slip a clue by his being able to drink ammonia.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Light isn't really physical nor is it energy (in the classical sense) I prefer to think of Light's effects on our physical universe of 4 classical dimensions as an intrusion from a vaster (or smaller, depending on your point of view) multi-dimensional layer. Then things like the double split experiment are pretty easy. A photon doesn't "choose" which slit to travel by it's actually at both slits simultaneously because quantum definitions are imperfect.

I always wondered what happens if you double up the double slit experiment and send the light through a second set of slits.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I always wondered what happens if you double up the double slit experiment and send the light through a second set of slits.

I always wondered what would happen if you did it with cats.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Light isn't really physical nor is it energy (in the classical sense) I prefer to think of Light's effects on our physical universe of 4 classical dimensions as an intrusion from a vaster (or smaller, depending on your point of view) multi-dimensional layer. Then things like the double split experiment are pretty easy. A photon doesn't "choose" which slit to travel by it's actually at both slits simultaneously because quantum definitions are imperfect.

I was thinking "lazy sod can't use Google" but this is one of those times something (double slit experiment) drowns out what you're actually looking for.

This is the closest I could find (but not actually what you asked for)

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_(Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry)/Quantum_Tutorials_(Rioux)/Quantum_Fundamentals/51%3A_Wigner_Distribution_for_the_Quadruple_Slit_Experiment

i.e. one might expect to still see interference patterns but with a different distribution of light and dark to the classic experiment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a thing on magnetic monopoles... which sounds like the sort of mad voodoo shit you'd find in a UFO lightspeed drive Wink

Anyhoo, something I didn't know (add it to the list) is that electricity and magnetism are entirely complimentary - with regards to equations and all the boffinry - except for charge vs spin (the latter being what makes things magnetic, spin orientation dictating N-S or S-N.) Like you could have something that was negatively or positively charged but you can't just nick the North Pole off a magnetic. It's obviously a dipole by mere definition no matter what scale you look at it (material, domain, atom.)

However, the equations don't work unless monopoles are a thing even though we've never laid hands on one! This is the shit Faraday was into almost 200 years ago and the people in white coats still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Basic electromagnetism, ffs. Still lots to see methinks Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I was watching a thing on magnetic monopoles... which sounds like the sort of mad voodoo shit you'd find in a UFO lightspeed drive Wink

Anyhoo, something I didn't know (add it to the list) is that electricity and magnetism are entirely complimentary - with regards to equations and all the boffinry - except for charge vs spin (the latter being what makes things magnetic, spin orientation dictating N-S or S-N.) Like you could have something that was negatively or positively charged but you can't just nick the North Pole off a magnetic. It's obviously a dipole by mere definition no matter what scale you look at it (material, domain, atom.)

However, the equations don't work unless monopoles are a thing even though we've never laid hands on one! This is the shit Faraday was into almost 200 years ago and the people in white coats still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Basic electromagnetism, ffs. Still lots to see methinks Smile

Magnetic monopoles were first theoretically postulated by Paul Dirac in the 1930s as a part of his quantum theory of magnetic charge although it was thought that they could exist before that. If you're interested in them, you should probably look into skyrmions, spin ice and electron angulons... Thumbs Up

They were used in science fiction by at least one author (Larry Niven in his known universe series). They weren't used for FTL stuff but rather as a key component of a Bussard Ramjet (also an interesting concept...)

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Light isn't really physical nor is it energy (in the classical sense).

Erm it is both. Light is electromagnetic energy, and is both a particle (its gauge boson, the photon) and a wave. It's also one of the four fundamental forces...

It's probably quantum (thank you Terry Pratchett) Laughing
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all just the product of some dickhead with a very advanced 3d printer.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo
tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga
horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu
mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora

thas a bit o that quantum jump fer ya

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kemosabe.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
What appear to be extreme high energy neutrinos have been detected shooting out of the ice. Normally these are attributed to immensely powerful cosmic accelerators such as neutron stars and galactic nuclei.
What could possibly be down there that can replicate this?

Hate in a pure form, left by aliens millenia ago.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, when you read about something on your favourite conspiracy theory website you should Google it and read more widely.

Strange ice formations may have tricked physicists into seeing mysterious particles that weren't there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure RT News is a bastion of impartiality, but then I'd accept that the BBC is similarly questionable to be fair.

Your livescience link on the matter pre-dates my own, which refuted the claim.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:

Sometimes belief get's in the way of learning.

What about belief that the sources you're learning from are accurate and factual?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was speaking more generally. Laziness or lack of interest meant I didn't follow the thread. Apologies.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Light isn't really physical nor is it energy (in the classical sense).

Erm it is both. Light is electromagnetic energy, and is both a particle (its gauge boson, the photon) and a wave. It's also one of the four fundamental forces...

It's probably quantum (thank you Terry Pratchett) Laughing

Well... yes and no Wink It's very convenient on a macro scale to go with classical physics and very convenient on a quantum scale to go with... err.. quantum physics - for the intent of predicting things that are useful, e.g. tunnelling effect in transistors. But it's not the actually story as classical and quantum theories disagree over gravity.

My point is that the human mind (in most cases) isn't complex enough to comprehend what light really is and so we quantify and qualify in terms that are practical.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon a lot of is obviously emissions from a source of gravitonium
from a crashed interstellar craft belonging to an advanced race of spacefaring
telepathic lizard robots who came here millenia ago to spy on and control us.
They still exist in the shadows and sneak about abducting people from quiet laybys and such and
after drugging them, finger their bumholes before letting them go
Its true!
The dirty alien bastards
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15