Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Two-stroke oil/chainsaw.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Two-stroke oil/chainsaw. Reply with quote

Not in Workshop because chainsaw.

The STIHL book says "Your two-stroke engine requires a mix of brand-name gasoline and quality two-stroke engine oil with the classification TC"

It also says "We recommend STIHL oil since it is specially formulated for use in STIHL engines. The mix ratio is 50:1 with STIHL oil, or 25:1 with other branded two-stroke air-cooled engine oils".

Now I've got a bottle of Silver Hook two-stroke oil, API-TSC3, and I've been using 25:1 which is a bit fruity. I wondered whether Stihl's advice was aimed at sales rather than necessity.

D'you reckon I could thin it down a bit without risking damage?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a gardener round to chop some branches and cut a few trees down he put neat petrol in his stihl chainsaw!
I told him he needed to mix two stroke oil in it he told me it didn't need it.
Watched the wanker use it for best part of an hour waiting for it to sieze
it didn't Shocked didn't even get the chance to say I told you so Crying or Very sad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every manufacturer comes out with the same bollox. 50:1 for our stuff and 25:1 for everybody else?! That's a new tactic, it's a fricking chainsaw, not some... I dunno, highly tuned 2-stroke race bike Wink

TBH unless you're going to run it for hours and hours continuously it won't make much odds. How about a compromise: 32:1 Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Every manufacturer comes out with the same bollox. 50:1 for our stuff and 25:1 for everybody else?! That's a new tactic, it's a fricking chainsaw, not some... I dunno, highly tuned 2-stroke race bike Wink

TBH unless you're going to run it for hours and hours continuously it won't make much odds. How about a compromise: 32:1 Very Happy

That's what I've done. 30ml in 1 litre, will see how it goes. It's just a bit smokey at 25:1, and decent two-stroke oil should be just that, whether it's STIHL or otherwise, as far as I know. API-TSC3 is API-TSC3 is API-TSC3.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you having a pop? You can't claim self defence this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of our 2 stroke stuff at work we hire out is Stihl, we run it on 25:1 of whatever is cheapest at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take that to mean 50:1 is OK but put a bit more in if worried, it won't do any harm.
Chainsaws don't seem as thirsty as the b*stid stone cutting thing we we were using for six months, but even that the cost of proper stihl oil was trivial compared to all the other stuff consumed during building work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
All of our 2 stroke stuff at work we hire out is Stihl, we run it on 25:1 of whatever is cheapest at the time.

You sell fuel to customers? I've had stuff from HSS a few times, they don't! They don't seem to put lubricating oil in engines either, had a close call because of that once.

doggone wrote:
I would take that to mean 50:1 is OK but put a bit more in if worried, it won't do any harm.
Chainsaws don't seem as thirsty as the b*stid stone cutting thing we we were using for six months, but even that the cost of proper stihl oil was trivial compared to all the other stuff consumed during building work.

OK. I've got a big bottle of non-STIHL oil, that's all, and it's a bit smoky at 25:1. I'll just chug through it coughing and spluttering I suppose...

Just come by quantity of conifer firewood, 4-9" diameter, it's good stuff, cuts and splits easily, but as you can imagine it's as wet as it can be.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 17:05 - 02 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run mine 50:1 using the fully synth I put in my YPVS.

OGR

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Why are you having a pop? You can't claim self defence this time.

I suppose he's obsessed, as he is with some other people from what I've seen. If whatever it was is insulting or abusive, likely I guess, feel free to issue a Thumbs Down for me!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Run mine 50:1 using the fully synth I put in my YPVS. OGR

Not too smoky I guess?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish thread I know, but a mate of mine bought some ancient seagull outboard engine a couple of years back....and that said 10:1 2 stroke oil mix....WTF!!! I mean 10% oil on an old shiter of a 3hp motor! Shocked

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
oldish thread I know, but a mate of mine bought some ancient seagull outboard engine a couple of years back....and that said 10:1 2 stroke oil mix....WTF!!! I mean 10% oil on an old shiter of a 3hp motor! Shocked

Fancy getting stranded at sea? Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low powered engine? Probably expected to run at full throttle all day every day. 10:1 sounds fine then.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1