Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smallest helmet camera suggestions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Smallest helmet camera suggestions Reply with quote

Hello all,

How is everyone?

First time poster and relatively new to the bike world so forgive me if this is a redundant question.

Can anyone recommend a decent all round helmet camera?

I am looking to buy a helmet camera but ideally I want it as small and inoffensive as possible because I'm not a huge fan of the antenna on a helmet look! I keep getting drawn to the drift xl and the hero7 but they both seem quite large. Ideally I want to mount on the top or chin piece? Is this sensible?

My main use would be for recording my journey whilst touring so a long battery life would be preferred or replacement batteries so I can carry spares. It would just be for my own personal enjoyment (not YouTube or anything) so it doesn't have to be a hardcore filming camera.

Thanks in advance Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought you could probably mount a mobius camera body inside the helmet with a remote lens on the chin bar (or peeping out through a vent hole).

But they are pretty small anyway.

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've just had a look at that. Looks nice and small but doesn't seem to have image stabilisation so I guess I need to decide what I compromise on...

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long battery life and very small are rather incompatible.
The Drift XL isn't tiny but at least the shape is designed for helmets and the battery life is more or less best out there.
You can theoretically charge on the go from powerbank or USB or just carry spare batteries.
I'd go with the drift TBH

Stabilising isn't that important on a helmet cam with wide angle.
Your head and neck do a reasonable job.
Unless you really want a gopro the DJI Action is a better buy in that style, I saw £220 from their site the other day.
An argument for going with gopro/DJI or similar is they are more usable as general video cam off the helmet.
GoPro shaped cameras are pretty bad on a helmet the only almost acceptable mount point is chin piece and a lot helmets don't make that easy. From a technical viewpoint you get minimal unintended movement by having it on the side about at your eye line.
Drift again
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:15 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the drift does keep drawing me back. I know I'm trying to have my cake and eat it and I just need to compromise somewhere.
They do a stealth which seems to be a bit smaller so I've been having a look at that. Maybe I can stick it on the top and go for the telly tubby look! 👍🏻

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 09:41 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallest camera with best quality is going to be the GoPro Session.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go pro. Drift are shite with the worst customer service of all time.

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drift stealth 2 and the go pro session seem to be discontinued so guess they're out.

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at similar. The Drift looked great but after reading about the reliability issues and customer service they have been ruled out. I decided to dig out my old GoPro 3 to try, bought a cheap strap mount for the chin of my lid and seems to offer decent quality, easy to remove and doesn't feel heavy on the road either. Might upgrade to the 8 at some point.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go pro session 5

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:01 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a perfectly working second hand GoPro Session for around £80 - just cause they're discontinued doesn't mean they ain't still awesome.

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:
I've been looking at similar. The Drift looked great but after reading about the reliability issues and customer service they have been ruled out. I decided to dig out my old GoPro 3 to try, bought a cheap strap mount for the chin of my lid and seems to offer decent quality, easy to remove and doesn't feel heavy on the road either. Might upgrade to the 8 at some point.

The 8 is fantastic. I have one and the image quality, adjustability, and stabilization is unreal. It will make your GoPro 3 feel like a cheap chinese knock off. Can share example footage if you want.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

Wotcha.

You surprise me.

Drift happily replaced my camera which had a minor fault ( it didn't remember the time / date settings ) despite it being around 14 months old. . . . . got a free remote & battery with it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini-USB on my original Ghost HD broke off inside and they replaced the whole thing even though I'd opened it to see if it was possible to somehow clip it back in a slot.
Mind GoPro replaced a Hero4 with wifi problems and also gave me another free battery, it was a struggle though they said I hadn't bought it from a authorised dealer so not their problem until I ramped up the complaint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's great to hear varied opinions.

The go pro seems the safe bet but looks more awkward to mount (although more possibilities to mount).

The drift seems to be hit and miss with their customer service but cheaper.

I shall ponder.

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
You can get a perfectly working second hand GoPro Session for around £80 - just cause they're discontinued doesn't mean they ain't still awesome.

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:

The 8 is fantastic. I have one and the image quality, adjustability, and stabilization is unreal. It will make your GoPro 3 feel like a cheap chinese knock off. Can share example footage if you want.

If you have some footage available that'd be great. I'm trying to hold back on the spending but they're on offer at the moment too.

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:16 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanderlust wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's great to hear varied opinions.

The go pro seems the safe bet but looks more awkward to mount (although more possibilities to mount).

The drift seems to be hit and miss with their customer service but cheaper.

I shall ponder.

I think I've said it before, I was surprised at how cheap the Drifts are, if they were a few quid more but better built with better customer service they'd be the top pick. Shame really.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
EazyDuz wrote:

Wotcha.

You surprise me.

Drift happily replaced my camera which had a minor fault ( it didn't remember the time / date settings ) despite it being around 14 months old. . . . . got a free remote & battery with it too.

How long ago? There are rumours that it is under new ownership. I had a faulty Ghost X, then later a faulty Ghost XL. Had to open a Paypal case both times to get my refund. Their customer service consists of one guy who does the emails, phoning them is pointless. Charging £130 for a camera which can only do 1080p in 30 fps and with NO image stabilisation is a piss take in 2020, when action cams from Akaso, Apeman, Hawkeye etc do native 4k 60fps, EIS etc for below £100 these days.
Akaso V50 Pro is a popular one.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a camera mounted directly on the bike itself? Thinking just under the headlight seems a good spot out of the way....

Wanderlust
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:21 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

You've all been very helpful and made me feel welcome Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1