Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What jacket do you wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pothole
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: What jacket do you wear Reply with quote

Guys what jackets are you wearing with your bike jeans? Just ordered my first pair of bike jeans, opted for the road skin ones as they were getting very good reviews. I have both a textile jacket and a leather jacket however the leather jacket is somewhat on the snug side. My question is during the. Smother months are you wearing a leather jacket or textile without lining? Also my current jacket without be able to zip in I feel that the lower part of my back maybe exposed so what leather jackets would you guys recommend

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly textile because more pockets for storage while commuting, lighter and more vents.

You can get what's called a "connection belt" that you put a belt through that allows your jacket to zip to the belt. R.S.T do one, at least. Its a bit bulky but works better than nothing.

May wish to get a larger than normal waterproof jacket and trousers (overlayer) from a sports shop like SportsDirect etc in the event you get caught out (seems unlikely at the moment). Depends on budget and when you ride etc. Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For hot weather, a lot of riders will recommend armored mesh. I, for one, love my Alpinstars Octane leather jacket. The perforated leather really breathes. It's like wearing a tee shirt when you are underway. It's armored and has a decent back protector.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Lookwell heavy leather jacket off ebay. If it rains I have a Fieldsheer waterproof to go over the top. If is cold I layer up a bit more.
That said I'm a fair weather biker these days..

Once when I was in Spain on my Fazer I went with T-shirt and Denim jacket cos it was about 35C - around town I was comfortable with that.
If I was to do a lot of touring in hot conditions I would have to rethink my set-up I reckon.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I’m at a formal function, I wear my black best jacket .
I also find it helpful if all of my jackets have sleeves so I can get my arms through Thumbs Up
When I was in hospital my jacket was really thick and heavy and the arms tied up around the back???

On the bike on the other hand: 99% of the time, I use my textile jacket.
The lining is removable for summer and goes back in when it’s cold.
However being a fair weather pussy , I never use it in the winter.

I have a Marlboro colours leather jacket for posing with the Kawasaki Cool ( sad but true)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not likely to piss it down, an Akito 2 piece leather. I carry waterproofs if it's borderline, and I prefer these over textiles. If it is lashing it down, Alpinestars Andes 2 piece. While I have a couple of pairs of kevlar/aramid jeans, I just don't bother with them.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
For hot weather, a lot of riders will recommend armored mesh. I, for one, love my Alpinstars Octane leather jacket. The perforated leather really breathes. It's like wearing a tee shirt when you are underway. It's armored and has a decent back protector.

Having various options is always good but there can't be many days in the UK you'd want mesh I would inevitably regret it due to cold in the Pennines or towards evening.
Maybe round town not a bad idea.
The typical close fitting leather jackets do have the problem of not being ideal for carrying much modern stuff like phones and cameras in your pockets, but hard to beat for protection and longevity. Provided you don't get fat Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I just wear any old thing that comes to hand.

I have a wool coat that keeps me warm, it goes below my bum and is big enough to wear a thick jumper under, but its getting a bit weatherbeaten now and thinning out in places, but still keeps the worst of most rain and cold off. My mum sent it from NZ and its proper NZ wool, from a quality outdoors clothing vendor. Its well nice, but I've had it AT LEAST ten years so its a bit scruffy now, sleeves are starting to get ripped, could do with some leather edging.

And I have a so-called fashion leatherlook jacket with a fur collar which is quite stylish and completely unpractical if I fell off (which I do not particurlarly intend to do).

And a couple of variously windproof or water proof bombers with assorted ancient courier company logos on them.

My plan for this year is to buy a standard lace-up red and black Swanndri and a leather cutoff to wear over it. Laughing if that don't mark me out as a Kiwi, nothing will Laughing

There's a couple of proper waterproof bike jackets (what I would call "sensible biking jackets" Laughing and which clearly - if they are sensible - are not suitable for me) in my hallway cupboard that I bought and for various reasons didn't make the grade, which really I should put on eBay.

Last edited by hellkat on 13:10 - 23 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a 10 year old textile I bought new for £15 since the stitching on the rear says "Strom" instead of "Storm", and an ancient non-bike blouson style leather jacket. The majority of the time I wear the textile, but it now leaks around the armpits and zip in heavy rain, so it might be time to finally fork out for something different.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's cold or wet I wear a Weise textile jacket, in the summer for longer rides I usually wear my leather bike jacket and for riding round town or on slower roads I wear a Red Route armoured denim jacket.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Claymore Pioneer jacket some years back, made to measure by Carl Wilson, it is a Belstaff at a fraction of the cost, I think less than four hundred quid. It is very robust, has loads of pockets and is very well made. I wear that for round and about.
For trips I wear my Richa and trousers, good quality and warm, fit well and has reasonable protection.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The typical close fitting leather jackets … hard to beat for protection and longevity. Provided you don't get fat Laughing

Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words..of..wisdom.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a leather jacket but its too hot for Madrid. So I just bough a Dianese Air. Its got armour, but I don't fancy it keeping my skin on me in a fast crash. I guess I just have to hope I don't crash.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've currently settled on an Ixon textile jacket, which I got cheap as I worked at the importers when I got it - it has lasted over 5 years now.

It has two liners; a thin w/proof one, and a quilted one. The outer shell has mesh panels, so is good for hot days when worn without liners. Enough there to mix 'n' match for almost any conditions.

I also have an Alpine Stars leather jacket, which I like the plain style of, but actually rarely gets used, since I'm often at places where I like to walk about a bit, and I just find it too bulky to carry, and as I tend to be in hilly regions a lot where the weather can change a lot through the day, it's not as versatile.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I've currently settled on an Ixon textile jacket,

They seem a pretty good make, just worked out the one I have must be almost 20 years old and all zips etc still functional
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I've currently settled on an Ixon textile jacket,

They seem a pretty good make, just worked out the one I have must be almost 20 years old and all zips etc still functional

20 years is damn good for a textile jacket. On mine, one of the liner sleeve retaining loops has broken, but that's it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hein Geirke sheltex textile. Pretty good got it off eBay cheap.

Doesn’t compare to when I wore my old pilots jacket with jeans on a run. I felt like the coolest man ever.

During the run imagining myself as Arnie in Terminator 2 when he shoots the gate with the shotgun then does the jump behind the lorry....Then I realised I was riding a superdream..

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
textile. Pretty good got it off eBay cheap.
.Then I was riding a superdream..

Ah, sounds so familiar Smile

I had a Superdream, and cheap textile jacket, and a cheap helmet both from Aldi’s/Lidl’s.
None of them ever let me down.
I know the current owner of the Superdream and he tells me it’s still going.
The jacket and helmet still live in my garage and are still in good usable order.
The helmet came with an ACU gold sticker and the jacket is still mostly waterproof .
It might let me down in a torrential downpour, but in showers and light rain it hasn’t let me down yet.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on conditions. I have quite a varied mountain of kit. At the moment in this weather I've been wearing Kevlar jeans with a Wolf textile jacket (short length), no liner, when on the GSXR.

On the Enfield hoody and an old cut off along with kevlar cargo's. More sedate on this bike so I compromise a little safety for comfort.

I've got lots of leather but I find I always look for excuses not to wear it. UK climate never seems to be right for it and it's a faff getting in and out of.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

hoody & kevlar cargo's. for comfort.

I've got lots of leather but I find I always look for excuses not to wear it. UK climate never seems to be right for it and it's a faff getting in and out of.

Kevlar cargo’s? Where do you get them? Please.

Nah! Getting in and out of leathers doesn’t appeal to me.
Wet leather jackets are uncomfortable enough, sod that from a one piece leather.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:46 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pepperami"]
wr6133 wrote:

Nah! Getting in and out of leathers doesn’t appeal to me.
Wet leather jackets are uncomfortable enough, sod that from a one piece leather.

One piece leathers look great on a slim twenty something onboard a factory bike on the track. Utterly laughable on a middle aged dude with a beer gut and an arse the size of Africa.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Kevlar cargo’s? Where do you get them?

Draggin do them in camo colours. Hornee do black ones though they are baggy. Some ok cheaper ones on eBay too, like with jeans the cheap ones fade fast.

Pig in a poke though the cargo pockets are secured with velcro so you never put anything in them for fear of it going AWOL at speed.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an RST textile for the cooler weather (as the liner isn't removable). Just a regular black leather jacket (with removable liner) for the warmer months.

Pothole
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your help guys, I have ended up ordering a rst blade 2 jacket just need to buy the belt connector. Hopefully with that and the textile I’ll have best of both to choose from depending on conditions

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin joe wrote:

One piece leathers look great on a slim twenty something onboard a factory bike on the track. Utterly laughable on a middle aged dude with a beer gut and an arse the size of Africa.

Look on the bright side. Wear one-piece leathers in the height of summer and women will tell you, "you look hot".
Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2