Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Been looking at getting a wall mounted pull up bar but they seem pretty pricey for what appears to be a simple Product. Wondering if anyone on here that woks with metal could knock something like that up? And if so what would you charge?

Basically want a bar that allows a wide grip that can be fixed to a wall.

Thought it worth asking as I bet a metal workers could knock something up of far better quality for less money but still worth their while. Need to learn how to weld!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:57 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up keyclamp handrail fittings. No welding required.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:14 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Been looking at getting a wall mounted pull up bar but they seem pretty pricey for what appears to be a simple Product. Wondering if anyone on here that woks with metal could knock something like that up? And if so what would you charge?

Thought it worth asking as I bet a metal workers could knock something up of far better quality for less money but still worth their while. Need to learn how to weld!

If you don't have any joy have you considered a door jamb pull up bar?

I have a scabby one in the frame of my back door (ooh err missus), copes with my 240+lb hanging off it.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

If you don't have any joy have you considered a door jamb pull up bar?

I have a scabby one in the frame of my back door (ooh err missus), copes with my 240+lb hanging off it.

Have one of them already. It's not wide enough unfortunately.

Quote:
Look up keyclamp handrail fittings

Thanks, ill have a look

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of gymnastic rings, much better than fixed bar and easier to hang off a branch.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you source a bar solution, carefully consider what sort of wall you're attaching to and how . . . if the bar is cantilevered (i.e. only attached to the wall at one end, as opposed to within a doorframe where it's supported at both ends) it'll put some serious strain on the fixings and the repetitive nature of the use, i.e. loading and unloading of weight, is ripe for working anything "nearly" strong enough loose.

The alternative is to have a (removable?) support at the free end so the wall is only having to deal with shear forces . . . fixings are still critical, but it's much less of a burden and even a powdery lime-mortared single skin stretcher wall will deal with that sort of load.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

It depends. If someone's got the stock, can make it to spec, finish it and add any odds and ends for the price, I'd be quite surprised if they made anything. Have you looked on Aliexpress?

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Look up keyclamp handrail fittings. No welding required.

Going to go down this route... thanks for the info. Coming up with all sorts of ideas now.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Not worth picking up a second hand power tower? Cost me £5 for mine, had to pick it up from 30 miles away though.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Not worth picking up a second hand power tower? Cost me £5 for mine, had to pick it up from 30 miles away though.

Shocked

Handy though it may be,
surely the last thing needed by anybody who could pick up anything from thirty miles away is some sort of muscle enhancement apparatus.

Furthermore,
have you not considered arm reduction surgery? Thinking

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Not got the space unfortunately. You've done well getting a power tower for £5

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 30 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Metalworkers wanted - Pull up bar Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Not got the space unfortunately. You've done well getting a power tower for £5

It was 2017 when I got it, had to pick it up from a sports centre in Stockport where the guys kid was playing football or something. Mine lives outside on the patio. Don't think I'd get one for £5 with the current situation mind Laughing

MotoTed
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:23 - 30 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do fabrications.

I made a large custom pull up bar for a guy. No bolts, no rattles and it could also hang a punch bag.

Materials were about £40

Labour was about the same I think.

So, unless you want some bespoke, then buying something off the shelf isn't a bad idea.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1