BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR400 to SV650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden both the MT-07 and SV650. Bone-stock the brakes are definitely better on the Yamaha but then engine's feels much more lively.

For commuting I'd say the SV650 - more sedate and consistent - but beyond that definitely the MT-07.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting stolen is the second best thing that can happen to an NC24, the best thing is being fed into an arc furnace so that no single part of it will ever exist again.

With an SV650, I could use the engine in my lawnmower I suppose, so they aren't totally awful. Just totally awful as a motorcycle.

Like Marge, I also did this almost 20 years ago, when affordable middleweight bikes weren't really a thing (it was sports bikes or fuck off) so it was a choice between SV650 or an older design of 500 twin. These days, and for the last 10 years or so, every manufacturer does a middleweight bike or two. Maybe not Suzuki, I don't know if they still exist.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:38 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Maybe not Suzuki, I don't know if they still exist.

They do, and they make some good bikes. It's just their R&D budget is now the same as that of Tunnocks Tea cakes rather than, say, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:49 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
I've also used a GPZ500 for a few years and found it comfortable but boring

I owned a GPZ500 for a while, and a first gen SV650.

Personally I preferred the GPZ to the SV. The GPZ had to be ridden hard to get the best out of it but it felt great to do so, it came alive at the top of the rev range. I didn't ride the SV much to be fair, but the times I did I always felt like it ran out of revs without ever doing much, it was quick enough, almost certainly quicker than the GPZ, but the engine just felt a bit.... flat.

My personal favourite bike for fun commuting was probably the Fazer 6, mine was an early box-eye which wouldn't be ULEZ compliant, but I understand the second gen were also excellent. I'd take one over an SV any day. MT-07 looks fun, never ridden one, personally I'd still lean towards a Fazer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2