Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone tried kevlar shirts (baselayers)?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:06 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Anyone tried kevlar shirts (baselayers)? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried kevlar shirts, to use as base or mid layer?

Something like what Draggin', Bowtex or Bull-it make (Bull-it uses Covec, not Kevlar, but it's a similar concept)

https://www.dragginjeans.net/clothing/accessories/k-shirt-unisex-detail.html

https://www.bowtex.com/product-page/1b4d08d0-0ecc-73ec-7432-67851dcbdfd3

https://www.bull-it.com/accessories/air-flow-suits.html

I am wondering how useful it would be in adding some abrasion resistance, when used under a motorcycle jacket. This was roughly the concept behind the now discontinued Halvarsson safety suit, and something similar is what the British Hide out leather do with their hi-pro textiles ( https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/hideout-leather-hi-pro ), because they add a layer of something similar to kevlar.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wearing a proper jacket anyway then these seem a bit superfluous (and expensive). Maybe if you were wearing a fashion jacket instead there would be a point.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
If you are wearing a proper jacket anyway then these seem a bit superfluous (and expensive). Maybe if you were wearing a fashion jacket instead there would be a point.

Well, it depends on the jacket and on the kind of fall. In most tests, 500D Cordura, resists abrasion for about half a second. You don't need to be Valentino on a track day to slide for longer than that.

After all, that's why so few jackets ever met the stringent requirements for CE homologation (among others: level 1: 4-second abrasion resistance, level 2: 7 seconds in the impact areas). I don't expect a kevlar shirt to turn any garment into a CE-level 2, obviously - I just wonder if it could add a bit of extra protection, especially if used under lightweight jackets.

500D Cordura is still among the most sued fabrics; well, actually many manufacturers won't ever bother clarifying what materials they used in what areas.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:36 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just get a leather jacket and wear something warm underneath it.

ws4936
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say Kevlar shirts - I'm thinking, cracked ribs.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:27 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ws4936 wrote:
You say Kevlar shirts - I'm thinking, cracked ribs.

I would be using it underneath a motorcycle jacket, not instead of, so I don't think the chance of cracked ribs would be any different

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
bamt wrote:

Well, it depends on the jacket and on the kind of fall. In most tests, 500D Cordura, resists abrasion for about half a second. You don't need to be Valentino on a track day to slide for longer than that.

After all, that's why so few jackets ever met the stringent requirements for CE homologation (among others: level 1: 4-second abrasion resistance, level 2: 7 seconds in the impact areas). I don't expect a kevlar shirt to turn any garment into a CE-level 2, obviously - I just wonder if it could add a bit of extra protection, especially if used under lightweight jackets.

500D Cordura is still among the most sued fabrics; well, actually many manufacturers won't ever bother clarifying what materials they used in what areas.

The internet has told me this so it's got to be true:

The point of textiles is NOT to slide. They grip the surface, causing you to roll.

Now, I do some work for the automotives and they desire abrasion resistance for most internal surfaces. The simplest way to survive an abrasion test is to make the material as slippy (the opposite of grippy. Technical term, stick with me) as possible.

So in my opinion, the textile won't be as abrasion resistant as leathers, because the leather is a smoother, more slippy material - hence Lorenzo goes sliding for 10 miles off the track into a barrier, away from the other racers. Wearing textiles would transfer your sliding motion into a roll, the textile gripping the surface, much friction m8, allowing you to come to a stop before hitting the barrier - but ready to be run over by dingbats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:42 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
In most tests, 500D Cordura, resists abrasion for about half a second.

Which tests, plural, are you thinking of?

I have a (woven, IIRC) kevlar lined sweatshirt which I occasionally throw on, but for warmth rather than protection per se. I've not had the pleasure of sliding down the road on it - I'd expect any protection to be momentary.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:44 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliding along is great if you've got a massive run off and some nice "soft" crash barriers to end up in.

Sliding is shit if you're heading towards a brick wall/kerb/lamppost.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:48 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

So in my opinion, the textile won't be as abrasion resistant as leathers, because the leather is a smoother, more slippy material - hence Lorenzo goes sliding for 10 miles off the track into a barrier, away from the other racers. Wearing textiles would transfer your sliding motion into a roll, the textile gripping the surface, much friction m8, allowing you to come to a stop before hitting the barrier - but ready to be run over by dingbats.

I do wonder what the best compromise is, though. If you slide more, you have a greater chance of hitting a hard object, but a lower chance of getting road rash and burns from the friction. If you slide less, it's the exact opposite.

Of course every accident is different, but I have seen reports and pictures, and heard stories from orthopedic doctors, of chaps who got horrible road rash and burns because they were wearing crappy textiles and fell off the bike on A roads at 60 mph (not exactly crazy speeds).

Anyway, since the kevlar shirt would be worn underneath a jacket, I suppose it will be the outer jack determining, for the most part, how much I slide or not in a fall.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:52 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I do wonder what the best compromise is, though. If you slide more, you have a greater chance of hitting a hard object, but a lower chance of getting road rash and burns from the friction. If you slide less, it's the exact opposite.

Of course every accident is different, but I have seen reports and pictures, and heard stories from orthopedic doctors, of chaps who got horrible road rash and burns because they were wearing crappy textiles and fell off the bike on A roads at 60 mph (not exactly crazy speeds).

Anyway, since the kevlar shirt would be worn underneath a jacket, I suppose it will be the outer jack determining, for the most part, how much I slide or not in a fall.

Personally I'd take road rash and burns over snapped bones and crushed organs.
Obviously I'd rather have neither but that's more down to luck than anything else.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:53 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:
In most tests, 500D Cordura, resists abrasion for about half a second.

Which tests, plural, are you thinking of?

I have a (woven, IIRC) kevlar lined sweatshirt which I occasionally throw on, but for warmth rather than protection per se. I've not had the pleasure of sliding down the road on it - I'd expect any protection to be momentary.

What brand? Where did you get it?

The tests I remember were tests done with the same machine that is used to test abrasion resistance for the CE homologation, which derives from the Cambridge standard. This Brit was one of the main chaps behind it: https://www.pva-ppe.org.uk/paul.htm

I don't remember the exact link / article / interview if that's what you mean. It is food for thought, though, that it takes quite a bit of reinforced material to pass the level 1 CE homologation ( 4 seconds of abrasion resistance): the few homologated jackets are typically Cordura 1000D or something similar, sometimes with multiple layers.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

Was this road rash caused by the failure of the jacket, exposing the elbow to the road? or was it from badly fitted gear, rising up, exposing the lower back etc?

Also, falling off at 60 on an A-road: if you could choose between road rash or sliding off into the barriers at the side of the road, or dry stone wall etc. which would be favourable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:12 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

Was this road rash caused by the failure of the jacket, exposing the elbow to the road? or was it from badly fitted gear, rising up, exposing the lower back etc?

Also, falling off at 60 on an A-road: if you could choose between road rash or sliding off into the barriers at the side of the road, or dry stone wall etc. which would be favourable?

In the cases I was told about road rash was caused by the failure of the jacket,exposing the flesh to the tarmac.

Like I said, I think a protective mid layer would not affect the slide vs tumble issue much, which should be determined mainly by the construction of the outer jacket.

As for sliding vs hitting on an A road, how long is a piece of string? Every accident is different and I honestly do not know enough to have an informed opinion on what is the most common type of accident and therefore what the best type of protection shall be.
Sure, between a bad case of road rash with burns which take years to heal and death from a fractured skill after hitting a barrier, the former is best, but I am not sure it is often this black and white.

The American did a study on motorcycle accidents many years ago (the Hurt report). The EU has done a similar one more recently, the MAIDS report. TFL also publishes reports on accidents. I wonder if they have any recommendations on the type of protective clothing.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:23 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I think the current homologation standards are too harsh. Too few items meet them, so motorcyclists are basically left choosing between the vast majority of garments, on which there is no test whatsoever, and a very, very limited choice of homologated jackets and pants.

I think it would make more sense to have multiple levels of homologations: a scooter rider who only commutes in urban areas is unlikely to need the 7-second abrasion resistance of a level 2 jacket, or the 4ish seconds of a level 1.

Forcing manufacturers to disclose exactly what fabric was used in what areas (the way Revit does with very clear pictures on their labels) would be useful.

So would having some kind of equivalent to the SHARP test for helmets; if there's one thing those tests have shown, is that protection is not as correlated to price as manufacturers would like us to believe. But this is never going to happen: it would be too costly, and there would be too much pressure against it from manufacturers, who don't want it to be known that a good % of their products are **** . A big difference with helmets is that all helmets must pass a minimum homologation test, whereas jacket and trousers do not.

PS I do wonder why there are a few homologated jeans but not as many jackets.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
In the cases I was told about road rash was caused by the failure of the jacket,exposing the flesh to the tarmac.

Like I said, I think a protective mid layer would not affect the slide vs tumble issue much, which should be determined mainly by the construction of the outer jacket.

As for sliding vs hitting on an A road, how long is a piece of string? Every accident is different and I honestly do not know enough to have an informed opinion on what is the most common type of accident and therefore what the best type of protection shall be.
Sure, between a bad case of road rash with burns which take years to heal and death from a fractured skill after hitting a barrier, the former is best, but I am not sure it is often this black and white.

The American did a study on motorcycle accidents many years ago (the Hurt report). The EU has done a similar one more recently, the MAIDS report. TFL also publishes reports on accidents. I wonder if they have any recommendations on the type of protective clothing.

I'm not trying to sound like a pedant, but I am a bit of one, when you say failure, do you mean something like the elbow developed a hole?

Also, what jacket was it, in this example?

For example I wouldn't expect my 40 quid jobby from ebay to be as protective in a spill as I would my hundreds of notes IXS goretex doodah.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:57 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I'm not trying to sound like a pedant, but I am a bit of one, when you say failure, do you mean something like the elbow developed a hole?

Also, what jacket was it, in this example?

For example I wouldn't expect my 40 quid jobby from ebay to be as protective in a spill as I would my hundreds of notes IXS goretex doodah.

Yours are excellent questions, but I cannot answer them with the detail you would like.
All I remember is chatting to a orthopedic doctor who said he had treated many motorcyclists, and said that in many cases their jackets failed, as in the jackets and whatever layers the riders had underneath tore apart, exposing the skin to the tarmac, with resulting road rash and burns. In the most severe cases, fabric had melted into the skin, requiring plastic surgery and a very long and painful recovery. The doctor in question had not compiled statistics classifying the type of fall, the estimated speed, the type of jacket, the brand, the type of protection, etc.

The American forum www.advrider.com has many crash reports; if you search there, or just google generally, I am sure you will find many examples of Cordura jackets which failed miserably. Of course single cases are statistically insignificant and utterly meaningless, which is why I wonder if the reports I had mentioned have any details / recommendations.

The BMF’s website has a story on the homologation standards: https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/personal-protective-equipment-ppe

Quote:

In practical layman's terms, Level 1 clothing should provide adequate protection in accidents at urban speeds, not higher than 30 mph/48 kph.
[…]
A heavy duty abrasive belt of known grit value and manufactured to a standard, spins at a constant speed of eight metres per second or just under 18 miles per hour. […]he test continues until the sample is abraded through,

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:29 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
www.advrider.com has many crash reports; if you search there, or just google generally, I am sure you will find many examples of Cordura jackets which failed miserably.

How sure are you?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Awww.advrider.com+cordura+jacket+crash

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

PS I do wonder why there are a few homologated jeans but not as many jackets.

Easier to make the bottoms, you don't need as much movement, they haven't got massive zips to burst and it's easier to stop them riding up down left and right in an accident.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
you don't need as much movement, they haven't got massive zips to burst and it's easier to stop them riding up down left and right in an accident.

Not really relevant for EN 13595-1 though, which tests specific areas of the garment in isolation.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall a conversation with a biker doctor some years back.
I'd guess 15 (+/- 2 years), where he said that he'd seen more injuries caused by badly fitting bike gear than by gear failure.
Elbow, Knee and Hip protectors moving around and cutting clear to the bone, and jackets sliding up peoples backs resulting in serious gravel rash.
I guess Kevlar layers could be a benefit if they could be kept in place better than the outer layer, but I wouldn't waste that type of money finding out.
I'd rather spend much more on better fitting top layers.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 210 days between these two posts...

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
I vaguely recall a conversation with a biker doctor some years back. I'd guess 15 (+/- 2 years), where he said that he'd seen more injuries caused by badly fitting bike gear than by gear failure.

It's an old thread, I know, but I wonder how to tell poorly fitting vs. proper fitting gear Question

I imagine that bike doctor treated riders who thought their clobber fitted them, and only discovered too late that it didn't fit well enough to work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1