Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical BBC News story-telling. Token white English bloke at the end but there's a subliminal message, just like with their NHS coverage.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52678920
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronavirus: France announces €8bn rescue plan for car industry.

I this allowed? As I understand it, under EU rules member-state governments are only allowed to provide state aid with the approval of the European Commission (which has been so influential in this crisis Wink ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of businesses are affected by the pandemic, people are losing their job. I just hope that this will be over soon so that we can go back to how it used to before this happened.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:11 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1claire wrote:
A lot of businesses are affected by the pandemic, people are losing their job. I just hope that this will be over soon so that we can go back to how it used to before this happened.

I hope the exact opposite.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1claire wrote:

It won't be, on a personal level learn to live with it, business wise, they'll have to adapt to operate with it. The highstreet was already dying, once the novelty of being actually able to go into a shop wears off, we'll be back to online shopping in increasing numbers. The number of people continuing to work from home will be significantly higher year on year. Personal vehicle sales might have a boost, as people try and avoid public transport, but then, they'll be the increased congestion, the long drive/to & from work will become ever more tedious for those that have to go into work, plus, the additional costs of parking, and various low emission zone charges, and will slowly drift back to public transport. For others, who will be working from home all the more, the reliance on personal vehicles will decrease. Even we're thinking of selling 1 of the cars, as we are now pretty much permanently working from home.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:00 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Coronavirus: France announces €8bn rescue plan for car industry.

I this allowed? As I understand it, under EU rules member-state governments are only allowed to provide state aid with the approval of the European Commission (which has been so influential in this crisis Wink ).

Who cares, we're not in the eu, makes no odds to us. As for bailouts etc, the eu hasn't blocked them, it's just been a get out jail free card for the uk gov to blame the eu for years. Fortunately, for the gov after all this is over, the country will have an even bigger debt to pay back, so the c19 outbreak, will provide many iterations of gov the excuse that they can't afford to bail out so and so, as we're still paying for the c19 outbreak.

Never thought I'd say this, but, nice try, however, mpd was more entertaining.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
1claire wrote:
I just hope that this will be over soon so that we can go back to how it used to before this happened.

I hope the exact opposite.

Thumbs Up What he says.

Fuck going back to normal, I'm healthier physically and mentally, my local area on the edge of Salisbury Plain is noticeably less polluted, ASBO knobs with unregistered crossers/quads driving here from 20 odd miles away and shredding footpaths have vanished, my estate has developed an actual sense of community (less toxic than prior to the Ebola Plague), local roads have seen more repairs than in the past 15 years, my marriage is the best it's ever been, my wife is physically and mentally healthier than ever, traffic quietest I've ever seen and I've done more bike miles during the Plague than all of last year.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:50 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1claire wrote:
I just hope that this will be over soon so that we can go back to how it used to before this happened.

That's not happening.

At all.

Social distancing is going to be with us for a long time.

How things were in the before corona era (BC) are not compatible with life in the after lockdown (AD) era because that's how corona spreads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I think an effective vaccine will come along before long for this one, and/or effective treatments will render it far less threatening. More people/scientists/governments are putting more funds and energy into this than just about any other disease we have ever seen, except maybe for cancer, and that seems to be a far more complex problem. No point in getting too pessimistic about things.

In any case, there will be great resistance to such changes. I think the thing driving it is the economic aspect.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ste wrote:

I think an effective vaccine will come along before long for this one, and/or effective treatments will render it far less threatening. More people/scientists/governments are putting more funds and energy into this than just about any other disease we have ever seen, except maybe for cancer, and that seems to be a far more complex problem. No point in getting too pessimistic about things.

In any case, there will be great resistance to such changes. I think the thing driving it is the economic aspect.

I agree with Ste, as it stands, there is no vaccine, and no genuinely effective treatment, got to learn to live with it, it's not so bad, in fact it's better in many ways.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:17 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It doesn't matter how much resistance there is to such changes because corona isn't bothered.

The economic aspect is what's driving such changes because out of adversity comes opportunity.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The economic aspect is what's driving such changes because out of adversity comes opportunity.

There will always be opportunists in any situation, but with the worldwide lockdowns causing immense damage to economies wholesale, I think that is going to be the driving factor that focuses minds on getting us back to as near normal as possible. I think one day in the not-too-distant future, this will all be an unpleasant memory. The thing not to forget will be that such things can and will happen, and to have a bit more preparedness for next time, as far as is possible. That there will be a next time, I have no doubt. One day, I'm sure we'll have an even worse one to contend with. All you can do is hope it won't be in our lifetime.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Never thought I'd say this, but, nice try, however, mpd was more entertaining.

Ooh, that hurts! But thanks for biting. Laughing

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:38 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy will never recover to "how it used to be", some things have been tipped over the edge. Above all, the great number of entrepreneurial type folk who create & operate SME's are having the shit kicked out of them & few will recover financially in their working lifetime.

The world has changed & I fear it will be for the worse.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:07 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are badly off but a lot of the people I know who are still working are actually doing pretty well. They aren't spending their money on pubs, fine dining, nights out etc. Even food purchases are more planned. I'm making more meals, less quick and easy (and expensive) ready to eat stuff.

They also wont be going on a foreign holiday.

I can see there being a bit of a spending boom on products rather than services as lockdown ends People readjusting what they want and realising how much they were pissing against the wall before.

I know I'll be able to advance spending on some of my home improvements through how little I've been spending on leisure.

I'll land up spending the same as usual but it will be ona local tradesman to fit windows and doors, not pissed down the urinal at the local boozer.

Maybe it's time the emphasis shifted away from constant economic growth anyway? Less work, more time but for overall less money. I think a lot of people are better for a break from the rat race, it's the forced isolation that's doing the damage.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like stinkwheel I'm also trying to pull positives out of this situation.

It's taken a while because truth be told I've surprised myself how low I got.

I miss gigs terribly, and jam sessions but by the wonders of noughts and ones we've been having some online collaborations.
I've been reading more and discovered some great local walks.

Been good to finally meet with friends and family even under these weird circumstances.

Onwards to death. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Some people are badly off but a lot of the people I know who are still working are actually doing pretty well. They aren't spending their money on pubs, fine dining, nights out etc. Even food purchases are more planned. I'm making more meals, less quick and easy (and expensive) ready to eat stuff.

I can see there being a bit of a spending boom on products rather than services as lockdown ends People readjusting what they want and realising how much they were pissing against the wall before.

I know I'll be able to advance spending on some of my home improvements through how little I've been spending on leisure.

I'll land up spending the same as usual but it will be ona local tradesman to fit windows and doors, not pissed down the urinal at the local boozer.

Maybe it's time the emphasis shifted away from constant economic growth anyway? Less work, more time but for overall less money. I think a lot of people are better for a break from the rat race, it's the forced isolation that's doing the damage.

Well said.

For us, one of the biggest positives is going out for daily walks after work (or early before work) locally, exploring paths and places right on our doorstep that we didn't even know existed. Both working at home now (neither of us has previously) means we can do this; normally I'm out between 6:30am and 6pm five days a week and I cycle to work, so the evenings are spent eating then collapsing, whenas now I'm actually getting up earlier, going for an hour first thing on the cycle, then working and finishing at 5ish to a free evening. Quite nice really. Also actually enjoying our garden, sitting out in it most evenings, again something I've not really done much of over the years previously, but this has given the opportunity as I'm not rushing out to the pub / climbing wall or whatever else.

I do miss the pub a lot though and can't really say it's saving me money not going either; online ordering of bottles of beer is too easy and when my local charged £2.20 a pint for decent real ale (no, it isn't a spoon!) I'm not really seeing any difference in the costs, but I'm probably drinking more as I didn't tend to drink at home much previously and going to the pub was a "defined event".

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 30 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

TBH. Unless you are one of the few that has fallen through the bail out net. Then everyone else should be better off, due to not spending as much.
As you said, no pubs, no meals out, no holidays. Add in No coffee's & food bought when working. A easy few quid a day. No fuel/transport costs.
even heating & electric is less due to the nice weather.
That is so much saved.
Yet you hear people moaning they have no money, yet are sat at home all day doing nothing.

Filled my car up the other day.
22.00 ltr @ 99.4 a ltr. only done 201 miles since last fill up on 16 March.
Prior to that it was about once a month for 30+ ltr.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I feel so much better after reading your mantra Shocked Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I said something similar to Arry the other day. He said what are you doing, I said "just killing time until death". He said I was being overly dramatic.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Alec Speaking

“He is putting it lithely when he says,
Quobble in the Grass,
Strab he down his soddieflays
Amo amat amass;

Amonk amink a minibus,
Amarmylaidie Moon,
Amikky mendip multiplus
Amighty midgey spoon.

And so I traddled onward
Careing not a care
Onward, Onward, Onward,
Onward, my friends to victory and glory for the thirtyninth“.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty odd how in every country CV-19 cases rise dramatically but soon peak and drop away at a rate about half the earlier increase.
Half hearted lockdowns probably help but actual evidence they do is hard to come by.

Stopping large gatherings especially indoors makes sense but not sure any of the other stuff forced on us has made that much difference - assuming people do more handwashing and avoid obvious risks so far as possible.

I do wonder if something else is at play, what if 'society' recognises the threat and individuals getting stressed and worrying about it kickstarts our slumbering immune systems so getting infected is much less likely.
I've heard dafter theories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

I do wonder if something else is at play, what if 'society' recognises the threat and individuals getting stressed and worrying about it kickstarts our slumbering immune systems so getting infected is much less likely.

It's an interesting idea, but can't too much stress also weaken the immune system? Perhaps there's a balance somewhere between the two.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now encountering first hand the impact of this virus; I had to visit the hospital over the weekend and ended up staying the night, now on leaving (despite being swabbed while in hospital and testing clear), just in case I picked it up while there I'm having to isolate from my wife for 14 days (some might lightheartedly call this a blessing...) and follow the usual isolation procedures, so no leaving the house etc.. Fortunately I was already working from home so I can continue with that, but it was a scenario I hadn't even thought about (as I guess you don't really with unexpected hospital visits!).

It's tough, but relatively shortlived . . . I genuinely feel for those having to shield as I'm getting a small taste of what they're having to go through.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 14:31 - 02 Jun 2020; edited 1 time in total

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
doggone wrote:

It's an interesting idea, but can't too much stress also weaken the immune system? Perhaps there's a balance somewhere between the two.

There's also rumors that lack of vitamin can increase the risks of corona, so keeping everyone inside could make us weaker.
Apparently black people also produce less vitamin D from sunlight, which may explain why they are impacted a little more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 72 of 172