Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changed to an ebike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Changed to an ebike Reply with quote

Since having a knee replacement last year my legs lost a lot of muscle. I've tried riding my normal bike but its just too much.
Thought long and hard and finally shelled out on a Boardman Hybrid e. Glad I did now, I'm back on the road. 4 levels of assist, none, low, medium and high. The assist comes only when pedalling so you still have to work and its not doing it all for you. Aim is 60m a week for now on middle setting, made that and more this week, longest ride 19m.
Take out the motor and battery and it rides like a normal bike.
I've changed the saddle for something a kinder on the arse and have some Ergon GP4 grips coming, apart from that it is a good quality well made bit of kit.
Will I get back to a normal bike? dunno yet, maybe a combination of both.

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:02 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee care is important. We worked through a tibial band injury with Mrs stinkwheel and setup/geometry is important keep your cadence high and load low. If you are clipping in, get cleats with the maximum possible float.

Have a look at the pedal stance width. You'd ideally have your feet roughly shoulder width apart and toes pointing slightly in so the outside edges of your feet are paralell. This makes the knee flex in a straight line.

Detailed article here:
https://www.roadbikerider.com/knee-pain-knee-alignment-and-pedal-stance-width/

Consider shorter cranks.

Mrs stinkwheel also trains on a fixie which works both sets of muscles round the knee but may not be appropriate for a prosthetic as it can be high load.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Have a look at the pedal stance width. You'd ideally have your feet roughly shoulder width apart and toes pointing slightly in so the outside edges of your feet are parallel. This makes the knee flex in a straight line.

Have to be slightly careful with this as it will be affected by femoral rotation and tibial torsion amongst many other things. Sorry to be a pedant, as a general rule what you say is correct but every individual is different. You shouldn't be experiencing knee pain when cycling though.

@OGR, I'm a keen cyclist and see no reason why you should go to a 'normal' bike if you have an electric. A good bike fit, whilst not cheap (around £300!) can be the best upgrade to your bike you can make. A list of registered fitters here https://blog.bikefit.com/find-a-bikefit-pro/.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Been tuning in the riding positon, happy now. well on track to hit my 250m a month target at 228. Been riding it on the middle setting. Find if I get a comfortable cadence going I get longer more comfortable rides.
The main thing is my knee is so much better even after this short time, if I have a couple of days off the knee is worse!
Glad I made the decision and got it now, well happy.

OGR.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebikes are interesting. I built an ebike from the kits. While it doesent have the poke of a 99 R1 this last week or so was a bit like the first joy of descovering motorbikes, right throttle hand turns and you go forward kind of smiles. Added to that the lack of speed cameras and ability to use the cycle infrastructure, i estimate across London its as fast as a motorcycle / scooter across town, 20p per charge, less hassel.

The battery technology is getting there but not quite, I think once these bikes do 100 miles per charge rather than the 50 ish now then ears will start perking up.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:03 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:

The battery technology is getting there but not quite, I think once these bikes do 100 miles per charge rather than the 50 ish now then ears will start perking up.

If you don't mind a bit of weight, can easily enough do that by doubling up.
I was surprised to find that even with my riding/settings, my 676wh might manage around 40 miles maybe (though will restrict power towards the end of that). Actually, another time it got me about 29 miles dead on to be fair, I just remembered.
The battery cost me £218 I think it was with claimed - good cells from Germany.
Separately, I bought a load of 1440wh 8S (24v) LifePo4 batteries for £100 each - I haven't properly put them through their paces, but two of them together is near identical specs to the 14s (52v) li-ion.
Think 2 will be 34kg, but 2880wh should easily do 100 miles even at higher settings I reckon.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to touring on overloaded biks, but 34kg is alot for a bicycle Razz, would be interested to know how you get on with that and the real world range.

Thats pretty efficient your setup then because I have just under a 1300 wh battery (52v) and im getting 40 miles (throttle only). I think im a bit thottle happy going to peak amps too much and not pedalling at all.

I met a guy on the road who said he had a 48v 60ah pack, it was a massive brick in fairness on his rack and reckoned 100 miles on the throttle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1