Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to deal with an angry dog

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

dave.999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:09 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: How to deal with an angry dog Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I had an annoying experience riding through a residential area when a dog was left loose and it came to the centre of the road barking at me and was running towards me.
I have stopped and stretch me leg against it so that it hadn't bite me and then the owner came and took it away. I have told the owner that he should be more responsible but he didn't seem to much bothered.
I am thinking if anyone had a similar experience and what did you do?
Do you think most dogs would move off my way if they saw I wasn't stopping? Or would it help to rev the engine or use the horn to scare it off rather than risk being bitten?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:20 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them like to chase wheels (some of them will even bite wheels). If you stop, then ride away dead slow, there is no fun.

If it actually bites you, I'd probably kick it hard in the face, ride away fast and report the incident to the police at the earliest oppertunity.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev engine...beep horn and be prepared to stop, or run the risk of falling off if you were to actually hit it.

Other than that I wouldn't have stopped and 'stretch my leg against it' for two reasons.
If it were to jump up against you, or the bike you could fall over.
It could bite you or begin a tug of war with your limb.

The dogs that run after you usually end up just doing that.
Steer away from it if it's safe and ride as 'normal'.

If you know for certain the house the dog came from report the incident to the police.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: How to deal with an angry dog Reply with quote

dave.999 wrote:
Do you think most dogs would move off my way if they saw I wasn't stopping? Or would it help to rev the engine or use the horn to scare it off rather than risk being bitten?

1) No.
2) Maybe.
3) Don't squash dogs, it's not nice.
4) It's an offence to allow the dog to traspass on the public highway. If it's off the lead/out of control the owner is liable, but see (3).

I would slow down, and if it looks as though you'll be bitten, use your initiative. As SW says, dogs like that like to chase wheels, that's normally all.

dave.999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:42 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Rev engine...beep horn and be prepared to stop, or run the risk of falling off if you were to actually hit it.

Other than that I wouldn't have stopped and 'stretch my leg against it' for two reasons.
If it were to jump up against you, or the bike you could fall over.
It could bite you or begin a tug of war with your limb.

The dogs that run after you usually end up just doing that.
Steer away from it if it's safe and ride as 'normal'.

If you know for certain the house the dog came from report the incident to the police.

I think that's what I'm going to do next time try to steer round it and stretch my leg against it so that it doesn't jump on me

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, someone has come up with a credible explanation for The Doctor's Dangle. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owners negligence will get the dog killed one day, not really much you could have done IMO.

Common issue, in honesty (minus owners negligence in your case).

I've watched training instructors on YT advise learners (on 500, 600 cc etc) to stay away from dogs being walked on pavement and to treat them as hazards.

I've had one run out at me because my exhaust tone annoyed it, and from thereon I've picked it up its fairly easy to spot the ones that get annoyed. Usually you'll see them stop and turn their head, their ears raise up or a general wobble in their walk for a moment.

Sometimes I'll clutch in as I pass one close (waiting to cross the road) etc, but other-times I just attempt to count how many dog walkers I annoy and always loose count.

I don't wind them up, but being aware that a dog going for you can happen and knowing how to avoid it, or spot it early, helps alot.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative route possibly?

Why the hell should you have to change route because the dog owner won’t control thier dog?

Maybe some unpleasant aggression and or violence towards the owner may get them to think about how they look after thier pets?
Pepper spray?....... for the owner of course Wink .

Is the dog neglected.? Would it be better off in a new home?

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:28 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: How to deal with an angry dog Reply with quote

Keep some jammie dodgers with you.

Even angry dogs like jammie dodgers.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:10 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an 8oz Sirloin/Rib Eye laced with temazepam in your left pocket (Leaves right hand free to control brake Accelerator)
Throw the steak for the dog as you shout, 'Good boy, good boy'.

Dog will eat the steak and slip into a drug induced slumber.

Ride off unencumbered.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: How to deal with an angry dog Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:

Hmmm? So give angry bitey dog a reward for being angry bitey dog, yer that’ll teach it Eh? Doh!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of collies will do this but are in fact quite timid if you shout at them in an authoritative way. (hellkat? Smile )
Taking a few seconds to slightly scare them does everyone a favour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience (on a bicycle, not happened to me on my motorbike) is that dogs can’t distinguish the human from the bike when it’s moving; they see it as a single object. Stopping and getting off actually changes their perception. On a pushbike the option is to get off on the opposite side and use it as a barrier if the tactic doesn’t work (and you’re unlikely to outrun a dog on a bicycle!).

Revving/horn is probably not going to do anything other than annoy it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Revving/horn is probably not going to do anything other than annoy it.

.... excite it and add to the thrill of the chase!

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:53 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did papers on a pushbike close to the edge to a large council estate in the Manchester it was a regular thing to be chased by quite large packs of dogs. We used to carry a car aerial with us, at appropriate times we would extend the aerial , and hit a few of the fuckers on the nose with it, seemed to do the trick.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
When I did papers on a pushbike close to the edge to a large council estate in the Manchester it was a regular thing to be chased by quite large packs of dogs. We used to carry a car aerial with us, at appropriate times we would extend the aerial , and hit a few of the fuckers on the nose with it, seemed to do the trick.

You'd have to be quite accurate?

Another option is you can get ultrasonic alarm things designed to overpower the hearing of the dog to the point they run away from you. Intended for pedestrians but I don't see why they wouldn't work on a bike, although operating them with gloves might be harder. Hard wire it to the bike's horn - only unintended effect would be the random scattering of dogs whenever you use your horn.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
steve the grease wrote:

You'd have to be quite accurate?

Another option is you can get ultrasonic alarm things designed to overpower the hearing of the dog to the point they run away from you. Intended for pedestrians but I don't see why they wouldn't work on a bike, although operating them with gloves might be harder. Hard wire it to the bike's horn - only unintended effect would be the random scattering of dogs whenever you use your horn.

Actually, that sounds quite fun Twisted Evil

Ultrasonic emitter on a handlebar switch... the odd random press when you're passing a dog being walked.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
My experience (on a bicycle, not happened to me on my motorbike) is that dogs can’t distinguish the human from the bike when it’s moving; they see it as a single object. Stopping and getting off actually changes their perception.

I think you're right. I have a youthful remembrance of my Dad walking up the street with a ladder on his shoulder. When our dog saw him it went frantic right up until Dad put the ladder down. Then the dog was all subordinate, happy tail-wags and belly-showing. It was obvious the dog couldn't work out the silhouette.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: How to deal with an angry dog Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:

My dog, whilst not angry, loves custard creams. Thinking about it... My previous dog, who granted also wasn't angry, used to steal custard creams from our children when they were toddlers. He was so well behaved and well trained, but he had no self control if the custard creams were on the go. And it was literally only custard creams... He wouldn't bother them for any other foodstuff. Wouldn't even beg. Custard creams were like his kryptonite or something.

Nothing really to add to the thread. Dog out of control... it's the owner who's the prick, its not the dogs fault. First concern would be your safety, dog comes second. Run the owner over or punch tits/gary (is that still a thing round here?)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1