Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1982 gs850gl won’t run!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jonchap101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:33 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: 1982 gs850gl won’t run!! Reply with quote

Hello I’m in need of some help I have a 1982 gs850gl and my bike won’t run it just doesn’t make sense to me it will hit and fire but just won’t run. I’ve replace wiring harness, I don’t know if it is fully correct but it has good spark new plugs, new battery, signal generator is good and it is also getting fuel. I’ve even tried to get it running off starting fluid but does the same the spits and fires I’ve even put the timing to oem spec and the compression is good so that makes me believe it is with the wiring somewhere I just don’t know a lot about the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:41 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the plug caps in the correct order? If they aren't, you'd get a whole lot of popping and banging and stuttering as if it wanted to start but doesn't.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Are the plug caps in the correct order? If they aren't, you'd get a whole lot of popping and banging and stuttering as if it wanted to start but doesn't.

More to the point, are the wires on the correct coils? The plug leads for 2-3 probably won't reach to 1-2 but the wires that go on the coils might be on the wrong ones.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonchap101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Order Reply with quote

It’s not the order I just changed them to see it should be from left to right 1,2,3,4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonchap101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:17 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Maybe the cdi? Reply with quote

It may be the Cdi box I bought this with the electronics messed with so it maybe be the cdi. 131100-2281 That’s the one on the bike that’s the part number.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Order Reply with quote

Jonchap101 wrote:
It’s not the order I just changed them to see it should be from left to right 1,2,3,4.

All IL4 Jap bikes are 1,2,3,4 from left to right. The point is if you have the wires for the 1/4 coil and the 2/3 coil reversed it will pop and fart and crank forever but never run just like you are experiencing.

Doubtful it's the CDI if you're getting a spark.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it been standing a while? If so it will also need the carbs cleaning- thoroughly.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Jonchap101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:36 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve cleaned the carbs and the coils are in the correct place now there no clamps hold on the carbs in so maybe that is it or the timing might be off.

Jonchap101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:56 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Maybe the stator Reply with quote

I just checked the carbs and the timing it looks good on these bike do the stator need to work perfectly right for the bike to run.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

when was the last time the bike was running if a long time ago may be carb diaphams maybe split/damaged how old is the petrol

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Compression test - ought to be over 110psi to run

2) Clean the carbs, every passage, not just the jetcs. The pilot circuits are teensy weensy.

3) The igniter (probably a TCI) you have is from a GS1000 according to this site.. https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/
.. maybe it will work still - who knows? Does it need to impedance match the pickups? If the igniter is bodged in has it been bodged in correctly pick-ups => Igniter => coils

What is the 'signal generator' btw?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:28 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back a friend had a similar problem with a similar bike. The problem there was the inline fuel filter, the fuel tap didn't want to work with a fuel filter in place. Remove the filter and ran a normal fuel line from tap to carbs and it worked perfectly.

Check the simple things like that, making sure you have a spark and that the coils are connected to the correct wires before trying to chase down imaginary problems in sealed black boxes of electricity.

It should still run even if the carbs in a very sorry state - full of varnish, split diaphragms etc. It could run very poorly, or not for very long, but it should still run. Japanese bikes from that time were surprisingly tolerant of pretty big problems.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:55 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to rule out ignition timing/compression is buy a can of easy start.

If it runs on it, it’s a fuelling issue. If not the rabbit hole gets deeper.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1