Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 strokes - really, I'm utterly clueless

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: 2 strokes - really, I'm utterly clueless Reply with quote

As I've been saying for quite some time (over and over it seems) I'm approaching the "endgame" on my DT rebuild. TBH I've stretched it out over the last couple of months 'cos I couldn't really ride it anyway. Wednesday that changed so time for a good tear about Smile

I've said this before: I've never ridden a 2-stroke before and so I'll probably be repeating myself here but I just want to understand the thing and not fuck it up so apologies in advance.

Okay, so first up: engine braking or lack thereof. I understood this as a concept but actually out on the road is another matter. It's only a 175 so there's little to it and I'm getting a feel for the fact that, if one were to fly down a hill, you could have the wheel driving the motor rather than the other way round. With less throttle there's less oil squirting from the pump so something to think about which wouldn't even enter my mind on a 4-stroke.

On the flip side, changing down a gear doesn't seem to do anything but over rev the engine. So what I've been doing is slowing down with the brakes and getting the gear to match the speed reactively rather than utilising the gears proactively like wot I would do with a 4-stroke. Am I doing it right? I only whizzed about for half an hour but that technique seemed to work.

The other thing, and this is why I put this in the Workshop section, is it does seem to hang the revs if I get it wrong. For example: if I were to do what I'd do on my Rebel and slow down to stop I'd change down while rev matching and use a bit of engine braking and some front/back brake. Of course, switching down too soon (before the engine's had a chance to slow down) just gets the revs jumping back up. If at this point I pull the clutch in it'd just sit there at 4k or whatever. Applying any load, e.g. switch back up a gear and let out the clutch, and the engine settles down again.

"2-strokes hang a bit more on the revs" my father-in-law commented but I don't think this is right Thinking Too lean perhaps? The inlet rubber's in good nick and tightened down with an OEM clip but I admit I haven't done the WD40 test as of yet.

I did consider that the spring was a bit light on the slide (the very, very first spring had been cut down to "lighten the throttle" by some previous owner and then the vacuum would literally hold the slide open) so I put in an even beefier one but it's made no odds. I also checked the slide and carb for grit or any reason for it to stick but it seems fine. Throttle cable also moves very freely.

tl;dr 50% "You know nothing, Jon Snow" and 50% probably still not jetted right Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:21 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2ts have a definitive power band (I prefer purple ones) so you need to rag them to get the best out of them.

Correspondingly you should be changing down a lot earlier to hit that sweet spot.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:31 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Possibly a bit lean, possible an intake leak, possible main bearings seals leaking.

As to engine braking, less of it but still a bit. With a pump you are still getting 2 stroke oil on a closed throttle, just a bit less . Unlike running premix.

All the best

Katy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there'd be a touch of engine braking if there wasn't the rev hang. I'll try going up a jet size tomorrow, see what happens Smile I knew it wasn't right.

Main bearing seal: I take it this would be more of a problem on the stator side (air) than the clutch side (oil) ?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem. Both sides.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:06 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch side will give you an air leak, gearbox side maybe a bit if air but a load of smelly exhaust smoke.

But check the carb settings first. Way easier to sort!

All the best

Katy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little tinker today. Checked the head bolts torque and they're still spot on then pulled the carb. The air screw's about 2 1/2 turns out so I don't think it needs a bigger pilot jet so I went up two sizes on the main jet and took it for a trip to Tesco...

Wow! Night and day Smile No longer hangs the revs and there is a bit of engine braking (but obviously doesn't compare to a 4-stroke.) Now I find I can ride it about without over thinking. WIN Very Happy

And then I pull up to the car park and the clutch cable snaps. BOO Crying or Very sad

Luckily my father-in-law lives that side of the town so I only needed to push it 500 yards. Wouldn't fancy pushing the Rebel but this one's manageable.

Quick fix later:

https://i.imgur.com/nRlENNO.jpg?1

...and back on the road Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Possibly a bit lean, possible an intake leak, possible main bearings seals leaking.

As to engine braking, less of it but still a bit. With a pump you are still getting 2 stroke oil on a closed throttle, just a bit less . Unlike running premix.

All the best

Katy

Whooah - welcome back. long time etc..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news: rode the DT about for a bit today and whilst previously it was fine with the larger jet (until the clutch cable went) today it did the same rev hang thing.

Jets don't suddenly shrink in size but I could imagine ancient rubber doing different things - especially in this recent hot weather. So I'm gonna go with crank seals Sad

The good news is that I found a guide:

https://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/09/replace-yamaha-2-stroke-crank-seals/

...and it doesn't sound half as bad as I thought Smile Especially as the writer keeps banging on about air guns. I don't have one of those but I do have my lovely, lovely Ryobi Li-Ion wrench that just needed to vaguely glance at the front sprocket Very Happy

Also for some reason months ago I'd already done an impulse buy on the magneto puller! Shame to dump out all the oil for the clutch side but seems a little silly to do one side and not the other?

Any thoughts on whether black gasket sealer is a worthwhile addition on the clutch side?

<addendum> a couple of weeks ago I also did an impulse buy on mechanics' picks. Maybe I should have a stab at the Euro Lotto next Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the oil..

Sealant on where, clutch cover?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my little Tuono 125 does pretty much the exact same thing, it'll hang a tiny bit around 3-4krpm and then drop down the last bit maybe 5-10 seconds later if I don't use the clutch to pull them down first.

Other than that it's pretty much perfectly behaved, it makes excellent power at the top end and it responds to the throttle nicely. It's your call to make with your own bike, but I'm in no hurry to start pulling the engine apart for something that has almost no effect whatsoever on my actual riding of the bike, I can't even pull away with the revs that low Laughing

I had an air leak on my old TDR250 years back and that was different in that the revs would climb themselves rather than hang on the way down. My Aprilia doesn't do that. The TDR needed new inlet manifold rubbers.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Save the oil..

Sealant on where, clutch cover?

TBF if it was a 4-stroke I wouldn't bother but given that here it's purely a transmission thing I might consider it Thinking

Apologies, I assumed you'd read the provided reading material Wink tl;dr smear a bit of black silicone sealant around the outside edge of the crank seal on the magneto side - just to be sure?

And when I say "rev hang" I mean it just stays at 4k or whatever. It doesn't drop after a few seconds Sad To get it to drop revs I'd either need to hit the kill switch or put the engine under load. To my mind that sorta implies a new event has happened, e.g. crank seal flexing under pressure or inlet manifold going wonky.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use sealant on the OD of the seal.

Don't use pattern seals.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont no if I have read this right but if the revs were allright then the clutch cable breaks you done the clutch cable and now the revs hang again have you disturbed the throttle cable routing

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a worn carb slide.

OGR

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
dont no if I have read this right but if the revs were allright then the clutch cable breaks you done the clutch cable and now the revs hang again have you disturbed the throttle cable routing

That's a good shout: there's a lot going on what with working the oil pump too. Certainly worth a look before I pop the crank case covers off Thumbs Up

OGR wrote:
could be a worn carb slide.

I looked at this, in case a bit of grit got in, but it's moves smooth as butter.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:11 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, as if the clutch side goes you will get a LOT of smoke, I would suggest it is probably fine for now. And as pretty much no shared work to do the 2 bearing seals, just do the ignition side for now

All the best

Katy

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, as above- my MZ does the same..

Hangs at 2k if I put it in neutral before I stop.. If I put the bike in gear the bike tends to hang for a while at 1700 before gradually and slowly going down to 1300 where it should be.

I have no reason for this, as my other mz does it a little too.. But not as bad - and both engines I had rebuild less than 3 years ago!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that one day where it performed perfectly normally (before the clutch went) so at least I have a target to aim for.

According to the specs it's meant to have single lipped seals but, on advice from the vintage enduro crowd, I've gone for the double lipped seals from the IT175. And as I have all the correct tools on hand anyway if it's not the seals I can just say I did an upgrade Smile

Got a notification of intended delivery from Royal Mail for tomorrow so I'll start with the magneto side and see how it goes.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the reed valve block mentioned as a possible source of intake leak. If your bike has the original reed valve, it is likely pushing 30 or 40 years old, and probably has lost some of its resilience. You might consider replacing the reed valve.

Also, the needle valve can be raised by moving the circlip down one groove on the needle. This will richen the mixture at midrange throttle positions. Worth a try and costs nothing.

I have a lot of respect for the Yamaha DT175. I rode one to some pretty remote job sites for two years in the 1980's. Never once let me down...not even a flat tyre.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
I have not seen the reed valve block mentioned as a possible source of intake leak. If your bike has the original reed valve, it is likely pushing 30 or 40 years old, and probably has lost some of its resilience. You might consider replacing the reed valve.

Also, the needle valve can be raised by moving the circlip down one groove on the needle. This will richen the mixture at midrange throttle positions. Worth a try and costs nothing.

I have a lot of respect for the Yamaha DT175. I rode one to some pretty remote job sites for two years in the 1980's. Never once let me down...not even a flat tyre.

This is where you can go a bit stupid with these builds. I think the original reeds were probably fine given that there's a Boyesen sticker on the bike. Even so I went for dual stage carbon fibre ones because... carbon fibre! and spent half an hour making sure they were lined up properly - it felt like it was something important at the time Smile

Still, it's kinda frustrating in a good way. Any other (world changing) scenario and I'd be cursing the thing but it's a terrifically well timed time sink Very Happy

And everyone seems to only have nice things to say about the DT175 model - spurs me on to try and get 110% from the thing!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little inspiration for you. All the best. Jeff J

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! DT1C?

In other news it wasn't the seals that turned up but my emergency cable repair kit or "proper bodge tin" as my wife described it Smile

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nice! DT1C?

Don't have a clue, but it doesn't resemble any of the DT1C's I viewed on a quick Google search. The bike I rode was US Government issue. When the term of my contract expired, they took the bike back. I always thought it was a DT175, albeit with a killer rack on the back, brush guards, and a front rack just over the headlight. Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's an earlier DT than mine as I see it has the exhaust on the other side Smile But from what I've heard the original DT1 all the way through to the last dualshock DT175s and DT250s are well regarded. The larger ones (e.g. DT400) are loved all the way up to the point the kickback breaks your ankle Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2