Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear Indicator for a Honda CBF 500..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joe.H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:49 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Gear Indicator for a Honda CBF 500.. Reply with quote

Hi ladies and gents. I'm in need of some assistance. I'm contemplating in purchasing a Gear indicator for my Honda. As my bike does not have a Diagnostoc port. I'm unsure where I would connect the indicator to.

I've had a look but theres no spare ports jumping out that I can see.

As anyone on here fit one to a CBF 500 or has knowledge on where there would be a spare port to connect one to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get indicators that splice into the speed sensor and another sensor that provides engine output in terms of RPM. It then learns the ratios between the two to tell you what gear you’re in.

Edit: try here https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/GIpro_Digital_Gear_Indicators_for_Honda_motorcycles.html

Joe.H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on the website. Thanks for that buddy. I shall be purchasing one of these Very Happy
MilfHunter This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck off, twat. I have one.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:
Why do you need a gear indicator?

To indicate what gear you are in?

My Trophy has one. My Jaguar has one. My Striple had one.

What's the problem with a gear indicator?

Joe.H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:

Just like most things in life. It's not that I need one. I just want one.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like mine simply because I cant be arsed with counting how many gears I've been up through cause I ride a big boys litre and not a pissy imaginary r6 and you can't really tell whether your in 5th or 6th at 50.

Obviously the imaginary r6 goes at warp speed with a rainbow trail behind it because Ashley is such a gay name.
MilfHunter This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:

Why do you need a rev counter, when you can just listen to the engine?

You don’t NEED one but they’re handy to have.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:59 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on my Street Triple (It's standard). I did a few trackdays on it, and I noticed that in the heat of a quick lap it's easy to lose track of what gear you are in, and it's also good to know what gear you're in for each corner. On that basis I installed a gear indicator on my CBR600RR. It does have a diagnostic port, but it's a 4 pin thing that looks like any other Honda connector.

The Gear indicator I bought was a Chinese copy, and did not have a pinout for the diagnostic port, nor was the connector built from the factory, so it took a bit of trial and error to make it work, but now it works well. It's improved my laptimes by quite a lot and it's nice just to confirm that I'm taking a corner in a higher or lower gear and see what effect it has.

I never would have guessed that a gear indicator would be useful to anyone other than a n00b on the road, but actually it's been a godsend.

Last edited by MarJay on 11:15 - 29 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

To indicate what gear you are in?

My Trophy has one. My Jaguar has one. My Striple had one.

What's the problem with a gear indicator?

There isn't a problem if you like pointless gizmos/tat.

If they are fitted standard then so be it but I wouldn't waste my time buying and fitting one even though I often find myself looking for 7th. Embarassed

If you don't know which gear you are in, as you just have admitted, I'd buy a gear position indicator if I were you, you obviously need one. Cool
MilfHunter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:19 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems MilfHunter is one of these gaslighting types who accuses others of doing exactly as he does.

I use a gear position indicator on track. That's about as far from Polite Vest wearing morons. Also, it's worth pointing out that going mad on the road is only an indication of level of stupidity. Go out on the track and prove yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say gear indicators are extra weight.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:06 - 29 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
I will say gear indicators are extra weight.

It weighs about 5 grams. You save more by taking a dump. A lot more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1