Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Biker-Moh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:53 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Another Noob Reply with quote

Hi

Need some advice guys and gals.
I'm 29 looking into getting into biking for commuting to and from work. My work place is only 5 miles away, 10 mile round trip and cant justify keeping a car for myself and misses. So I thought best thing for me is getting a bike.

I'm slightly confused in terms of getting my license and which route to take.
Should I get my provisional and do my cbt and stick with a 125cc or should I get my provisional do my cbt and das and go for a bigger?
Your opinion and advice would be great. If you was in my shoes what would you do?

Thanks and looking forward to the responses
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never touched a bike - and I include push-bikes - then spending some time with a low powered 125 might be prudent. Jumping straight to "Big Boy Bike" is quite a commitment in time and money for the test.

Having said that I think the honeymoon period on my Superlight was about 3 weeks and then I hankered for something more powerful Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:53 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the CBT doesn't go terribly wrong Laughing, do DAS and get your full license.

Once you've done the CBT and DAS, you'll know what you did and didn't like about the training school bikes which will make it easier to decide what bike to get. Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and find a school you like and do CBT.

Then come back and tell us how it went, and then we'll tell you everything the school said about moving on.

Except we won't try and sell you a course!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:07 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If you've never touched a bike - and I include push-bikes - then spending some time with a low powered 125 might be prudent.
You know, there is something to be said for a bike that is light enough for you to man-handle as you develop your use of the controls. Soon, you will be able to manipulate the throttle, brakes, clutch, and shifter without thinking. You'll know when you are ready for something bigger.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:13 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your CBT and get a 125, a five mile commute on a big bike is barely enough to get it warmed up, you can always do DAS at a later stage Thumbs Up

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat, short commute to the office and didn’t need my car as well as the wife’s.

Did my CBT and bought a YBR125. Commuted on it for a couple of years and sold it for the same price I paid for it.

Money I saved on running my car paid for my DAS.
Money I got from selling my car paid for my Sprint.

As has been said, get your CBT done and see how you get on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 miles is pushbike territory Laughing

The answer sort of depends on how committed you are to wanting a motorcycle - if you're just seeing it as a cheap way of commuting then a 125 is the best option and I'd just do your CBT, then see if you find the love for it after.

If, actually, you've always fancied a motorcycle and the 5 mile commute and 'can't justify 2 cars' thing is just what you've told the missus, then just get on and do DAS then reach for the classifieds and look up #fireblade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker-Moh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for response all.
I have already worked out I'll be saving close to a grand. Atm 2 sets of car insurance and fuel and mot and servicing adds up.

Biking had always been on my mind I have ridden a motorcycle a few years back abroad and I've always ridden a bike when younger.

5 mile commute is bikable but last thing I want is turning up to work on a regular basis stinking of sweat lol.

Will definitely be doing my cbt soon. After that I'm not too sure...because my commute is so short I wouldn't want something too powerful just something with enough oomph for a more enjoyable ride.

Had a look at some local riding school cbt £130 and das was about 600 something excluding test.

I done a random insurance quote on a Honda cbf125 and ot 330 which is shocking to me I've always paid over a grand on insurance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 mile commute = 125 territory alright. Dare I say it, a 50cc scooter would do the job but not everyone wants to advertise their (lack of) sexuality Wink

Push-bike too sweaty? Fair enough. eBike would sort that and cost nothing in insurance etc. plus a sneaky charge up at the office for even more cost savings.

We're all about sensible options here*

*Excuse me, I'm just booking a test ride on a litre bike for my 7 mile commute.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, a machine purely for town/city commuting screams cheap to run, maintain,insure and tax plus reliable 125

Dont buy a 'sports' 125 FFS, they're just embarrasing and uncomfortable too usually
I'd be looking for something along the lines of a YBR125 bike or PCX125 T&G scoot.

Biker-Moh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:28 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the future I definitely want to get into biking and my commute may change in the near future.
I've always wanted to ride atleast 250cc maybe little more.

I'll get my cbt get a 125cc and ride and see how I get on.

Btw with the 125cc are they still enjoyable to ride with enough power to get out of a sticky situation or are they sluggish and loud and as most people say "embarrassing" on the road?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:46 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

125cc look for something with at least 11+ hp, most of the generic chinese clones come in under 10hp, mine has 12hp and will cruise steadily at 55-60 all day long, do your research and make notes of the types of bikes you like and find something that will suit your needs, also against popular belief there are plenty of seasoned bikers who have dropped from the big bikes back onto 125's just because of the fun factor Thumbs Up

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:02 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still unsure about the capabilities of 125's, have a look at the sinnis terrain, it is every much an adventure bike for all seasons,

https://www.bikingdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Sinnis-Terrain-125-125-Satin-Silver.jpg

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
125cc look for something with at least 11+ hp, most of the generic chinese clones come in under 10hp, mine has 12hp and will cruise steadily at 55-60 all day long, do your research and make notes of the types of bikes you like and find something that will suit your needs, also against popular belief there are plenty of seasoned bikers who have dropped from the big bikes back onto 125's just because of the fun factor Thumbs Up

Laughing I'm pretty conviced bhp figures for 125's dont mean a whole lot. My Ybr had 10bhp while my brothers cbr125 had 13, yet his would go almost the exact same speed flat out on a dual carriageway, around 65mph or so.

I'd say 125's are still pretty enjoyable to ride on twisty low speed corners and they get off the line fast enough to move out of the way of car drivers. Once you get onto any long straight roads you do wish you had more power.
As for embarrassing, some people do like to take the piss but they are great for learning on and as cheap commuters.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:05 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a 125 after doing DAS if you really want to.

When doing DAS training you'll probably find that bikes with bigger engines are noticeable easier to ride in lots of ways compared to a 125.

The training school place you go to do your CBT may or may not have 500cc DAS training bikes that they could let you try after finishing your CBT.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the DAS is the safe option.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
If you're still unsure about the capabilities of 125's, have a look at the sinnis terrain, it is every much an adventure bike for all seasons,

https://www.bikingdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Sinnis-Terrain-125-125-Satin-Silver.jpg

it's a knock-off suzuki gs125 that's had a rummage through the dressing up box and is no more "an adventure bike for all seasons" than a klx125 or a clr125. In fact, a klx would be a much better bet if you were serious about doing something actually adventurous on a bike.

If more mild adventurousness is your forte - and for most people, adventure means riding a long way on made-roads - you'd be better off on a cg125 - read e.g. Simon Gandolfi's book. Seemingly every country on earth has somewhere accessible that stocks spares. Get one for a grand, save the fifteen hundred quid change from the Sinnis and spend it on petrol, a tent, and a ferry from tarifa to tangier.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You've got the best advice here already. Getting a safety training course worth it.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker-Moh wrote:

Btw with the 125cc are they still enjoyable to ride with enough power to get out of a sticky situation or are they sluggish and loud and as most people say "embarrassing" on the road?

Up to 40-50mph ish, yes. You'll have no trouble around town or on a twisting B road.

Where they are no fun are busy single carriageway NSL roads with a head wind or a hill. You get used to it, usually you'll end up gravitating to alternative routes that are more enjoyable.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:48 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT is your 1st lesson, it is NOT a licence.
It qualifies you as s LEARNER, what bike/ what gear comes after,.

Next, do it for the love not the money.

You have worked out pretty well how much money you expect to save...
b-u-t.... the best laid plans of mice ane men and all that. ypou really dont know how much it will cost by bike yet; total the price of trining and gear and all in, 'presumed' savings are likely to all be wipe out the forst time you fumble the kick-stand coming out the works bike shed, let alone getting SMIDSY'd and £15 worth of unleaded spills out the tank onto the floor..... PONDER

Go get trained.
Get a Licence.
THEN worry about what bike you might like, and whet jacket you think you look best in on it..... THEN ponder whether its the best way to work or not.. and if money copmes into it at all? Most likely be hole ,much EXTRA the nee hobby might dost, not how muych you think you might 'savee'.

For 4miles each way, on a £ sensitive bidget.. walk; cycle, catch the bus....THEN wonder hgoe much MORE any form of motorised transport and the assumed convenience actually costing, NOT saving, you.

Like I said, LOVE or MONEY?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1