Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MiddleEarth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:01 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question... Reply with quote

Alright!

I'm new to riding, last year I got me CBT done and have been riding my 125 as much as I can.

In honesty, I'm bored of it. Tired of being tailgated on A roads and I'd like to move forward.

Im 24, and I'm looking for some confirmation and advice on the next steps for me. I'm dyslexic, so some of the information hasn't really gone in. (I know!) which is the reason I'm asking this question, when I'm sure it's been answered 10 times over.

Can anyone give me a run down, and telling off for this dumb question.

Thankyou!!

P.s I'm a big boy, I can take the banter. 😂 Laughing

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what is the question, dear Middle Earther?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MiddleEarth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:37 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
and what is the question, dear Middle Earther?

Whoops! Forgot that bit! I'd like to know what test/training I should be looking at doing next? DAS?

Cheers!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:11 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you want DAS because that's the one for big boys. Mr. Green

You'll need to do your theory test before doing DAS training and there's a Covid19 problem with that at the moment. Sad https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-theory-tests

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question... Reply with quote

MiddleEarth wrote:
Please bare with me!

Strange request. I think I'll leave my clothes on, thanks all the same.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question... Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I think I'll leave my clothes on

It's alright for some, I've misplaced my pants. Shocked

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dyslexic and if it's an issue getting info into the head and keeping it there, try and avoid one of those ' do it all in 48hours' type places. Pick one that will let you do it bit by bit and take as much time as you need.

There isn't actually that much skill involved in the bigger bike tests, there's nerves and there's luck - presuming you can actually ride.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question... Reply with quote

MiddleEarth wrote:

In honesty, I'm bored of it. Tired of being tailgated on A roads and I'd like to move forward.

Surprised you get tailgated unless it's a scooter? Seems you're out in the wiles close to Wales and the sort of biking roads you'd have out there should mean you're quicker than general traffic even on a 125?

MiddleEarth wrote:

You need:
Theory Test pass certificate
MOD1 pass certificate
MOD2 pass certificate

Theory test you can go ahead book yourself and tick it off the list.

For the MOD1 and 2 - well, you're going to need a bike that's A licence compliant to do your test on. Invariably that means using a school / instructor because the bike hire becomes part of the 'cost' of the 'course'.

As noted above, I would tend to avoid the 'all for £XYZ£' schools unless you've gone and eyeballed them, had a chat with the instructors and feel really comfortable to do it all in one hit. Sometimes spreading it over a slightly longer period gives you more time to process what's been said and think about how it applies to you on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MiddleEarth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:13 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Please bare with me! Dumb, well trodden question... Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MiddleEarth wrote:

Surprised you get tailgated unless it's a scooter? Seems you're out in the wiles close to Wales and the sort of biking roads you'd have out there should mean you're quicker than general traffic even on a 125?

MiddleEarth wrote:

You need:
Theory Test pass certificate
MOD1 pass certificate
MOD2 pass certificate

Theory test you can go ahead book yourself and tick it off the list.

For the MOD1 and 2 - well, you're going to need a bike that's A licence compliant to do your test on. Invariably that means using a school / instructor because the bike hire becomes part of the 'cost' of the 'course'.

As noted above, I would tend to avoid the 'all for £XYZ£' schools unless you've gone and eyeballed them, had a chat with the instructors and feel really comfortable to do it all in one hit. Sometimes spreading it over a slightly longer period gives you more time to process what's been said and think about how it applies to you on the road.

I live basically on the border of Wales, I usually use the A49 for my commutes. I get tailgate the most of those roads, i have Cbf125. People tend to drive 100 plus down that road, its mental. I'm 6'3 and fairly heavy so I top out at about 60!

Thankyou for the rundown, that's simple enough for my brain to understand! Ahahaha

I've taken it all on board, and I'm obviously not an expert on riding but I do feel competent enough to move forward with my bike journey.

Like mentioned, I think I'll look at doing it over a longer period of time, rather than trying to fast track and get it all done quickly!

It's valuable for me all the information, and just want to say thankyou again for the replies!

MiddleEarth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:16 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
If Dyslexic and if it's an issue getting info into the head and keeping it there, try and avoid one of those ' do it all in 48hours' type places. Pick one that will let you do it bit by bit and take as much time as you need.

There isn't actually that much skill involved in the bigger bike tests, there's nerves and there's luck - presuming you can actually ride.

I wouldn't say its a massive issue, my dyslexia effects me in the way that audibly sometimes can be hard to process! I think it also affects my Confidence for obvious reasons, but I will definitely take the advice I've been given here. I think doing it over a longer period would benefit me a lot.

Thankyou! I apretiatie it!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get to learn once and you only have to pass the test once - my view was (and still is) that you might as well learn as much as you can from it. It will put you in a good place for staying alive on the roads.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=best+motorbike+school+wales&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51553365,-3523139,24154&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjP-7ymjIPqAhXvShUIHdNyCtAQtgN6BAgLEAQ&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[53.4325054,-2.8589200999999997],[51.3194295,-4.4619558999999995]];tbs:lrf:!1m5!1u2!3m2!2m1!2e8!4e2!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sCgIIASAB,lf:1,lf_ui:2https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=best+motorbike+school+wales&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51553365,-3523139,24154&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjP-7ymjIPqAhXvShUIHdNyCtAQtgN6BAgLEAQ&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[53.4325054,-2.8589200999999997],[51.3194295,-4.4619558999999995]];tbs:lrf:!1m5!1u2!3m2!2m1!2e8!4e2!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sCgIIASAB,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Plenty of reviews of what's available for starters.

MiddleEarth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:05 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Couldn't agree more with that philosophy! Even before my CBT I arranged some practice sessions as I'd never even touched a bike in my life!

It's definitely something I will do, get the most out my time spent with an instructor!

Thankyou again, honestly really helpful

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your near Cwmbran, Bike Train Wales is pretty good and they are quite patient if you want to take your time.
Best thing to do though is ring whatever bike school you decide to go with and see what they can do for you.

Also go off and book your theory right away so your not waiting to do that, as it can take a while to get a slot sometimes. It's worth getting some cones and practicing the mod 1 in an empty car park on your 125 as well.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS all the way, but make sure you go for the A category licence (as daft as it sounds, it's not unheard of for people to go for a lower category licence despite being old enough to do the Cat A). Not sure if you have a full car licence or not, but the other thing is if not then you possibly have gaps in your knowledge on how a road works as the knowledge gained during a CBT is pretty minimal. In prep for your DAS, it's worthwhile reading up on this as much as possible too (this will also stand you in good stead for your theory test when that eventually happens).

Given all the restrictions about at the moment, I expect even if test centres are taking bookings, there's going to be a long waiting list for a slot, so I'd identify a training school ASAP and get them to pencil you in for tests at the end of the summer and organise your training for sometime before then. You'll get sooner slots, both for training and tests, if you're flexible with when you can do them (e.g. training in the week is usually lower demand than weekends).

As mentioned above, it's well worth selecting a good school and when you speak to them, stress that you're interested in learning how to ride in addition to getting your licence. The licence entitles you to ride a bigger machine, but the training process is the golden opportunity to absorb the knowledge of the instructor and ask questions in an environment where nobody will be judgemental.

Good luck!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MiddleEarth

I'm Dyslexic/Dyspraxic and managed to get it sorted so I'm sure you can too!

As soon as this covid business is all over get your theory test booked https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test. and get some practice done I used;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Motorcycle-Theory-Hazard-Perception/dp/1843266210/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RCPSFHJZBIWU&dchild=1&keywords=the+complete+motorcycle+theory+and+hazard+perception+test&qid=1593255165&sprefix=motorcycle+theory+hazard%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-2

Once you've got that passed then ring your local training schools (start with the one you did your CBT at if you liked them) and get some costs and training times sorted. You've been riding on the CBT for a while I assume? A big bike isn't really any different, but you will likely have picked up a couple of bad habits and I would suggest at least 3 days training with a school to knock those habits out.

Key question for the school - do they actually do a mock MOD1 test at the relevant facility? (my training school booked a slot on the test centres mod 1 pad at the weekend and this was invaluable for me passing first time!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1