Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 596, 597, 598 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:44 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
(spiders)

Where are you/did it happen, 'Stralia? As far as I know there are only three spiders in the UK that can bite, and they aren't venomous, at least not to us. They just make a tiny hole if they bite a soft bit of skin.

My garden, down here, near London. I've got a few webs in the shed and outside. I can prod them and you get some nice legs pop out. The bite itself is more of a sting than anything, I just had a reaction to it. Look them up, they aren't massively common here but still about!

Not seen a false widow in a while either... But we had a few reports of them near my parents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:49 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Spiders can be terrible, my sugar gliders bite, whilst they aren't venomous or will 'kill you' they caused me temporary blindless and light sensitivity after biting me, some form of bacterial infection from their recently chewed food and probably the fact they love to piss on it before eating it

Very sorry to hear what happened to your mum. Though, from your description, wasn't the spider bite a comparable situation to your sugar glider's, in that the problem isn't a direct result of the bite (like venom), but more of a side effect (like an infection of the wound)?

Apart from that - going back to my original point about spider phobias -although admittedly I hadn't heard of people being hurt by spiders in the UK, there is absolutely no way that's the cause of so many people being so freaked out by them. It might give people the justification they need to hate spiders, but it's not a reason.

People hate fast smaller things with lots of legs. It's irrational but it's a fear.

My mum's instance, the spider was carrying an infection, but jumping spiders have the ability to bite, which spreads. Same as mosquitoes in that respect. It had given her blood poisoning which also gave her reactive arthritis which is what makes her so incapacitated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, animals only attack humans out of self defence where they feel threatened. It probably doesn't take much to alarm a small animal like a spider . . . but it takes significant resolve to not react to one! I personally don't mind spiders (although I don't tend to handle them directly), my issue is with wasps - they seem to have a deeply entrenched hatred of me. Fortunately hornets seem to be calmer given one somehow managed to fly under the chinbar of my helmet last year and ended up behind my visor and sat on my cheek, refusing to leave even when I flipped the visor open!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking White Van Man.

Today I came across a long stretch of traffic-controlled roadworks, so took the opportunity to overtake the stationary queue and pootle up to the front. I was sitting there waiting alongside the lead car, which needed my right foot - though not the bike - to be over the central white line. Something I wouldn't have done unthinkingly, but it was a big A-road with plenty of room - two oncoming cars could easily have driven through side by side if they'd wanted.

But FWVM, heading towards me through the roadworks, was obviously one of those who takes exception to bikers who don't sit in traffic queues like they should. He drove the bloody thing straight at me at high speed, only swerving off his line, and away from me, at the last second. Point duly made, twat.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Fucking White Van Man.

Today I came across a long stretch of traffic-controlled roadworks, so took the opportunity to overtake the stationary queue and pootle up to the front. I was sitting there waiting alongside the lead car, which needed my right foot - though not the bike - to be over the central white line. Something I wouldn't have done unthinkingly, but it was a big A-road with plenty of room - two oncoming cars could easily have driven through side by side if they'd wanted.

But FWVM, heading towards me through the roadworks, was obviously one of those who takes exception to bikers who don't sit in traffic queues like they should. He drove the bloody thing straight at me at high speed, only swerving off his line, and away from me, at the last second. Point duly made, twat.

Probably one of those 'bad asses' that ride a quad at the weekend without a helmet. 'woo-woo you're hard..'

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that phone call about my internet going to be cut off "press 1 to resolve...."

Gratitude to the forum in that I was already prepared for this.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new heavy duty yard brush has just snapped, only had it 3 days.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been winding myself up about my scar itching for a couple of weeks now.
My 3 month follow-up appointment was lost in the system because COVID.
I bitched a little on the phone about the narrow margins and the possibility of a CT scan.
I have an appointment with the dermatologist next week.
Face to face, doh. Laughing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I've been winding myself up about my scar itching for a couple of weeks now.
My 3 month follow-up appointment was lost in the system because COVID.
I bitched a little on the phone about the narrow margins and the possibility of a CT scan.
I have an appointment with the dermatologist next week.
Face to face, doh. Laughing

When are you going to take over the London Mafia and sort Khan out?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
(spiders)

My garden, down here, near London. I've got a few webs in the shed and outside. I can prod them and you get some nice legs pop out. The bite itself is more of a sting than anything, I just had a reaction to it. Look them up, they aren't massively common here but still about!

What sort of spider again? ( EDIT: Oh, I just looked at the previous page. Was it the Segestria florentina you mentioned, and posted a picture of a flattened specimen? ) You said, IIRC, an "8 eyed jumping spider". Most spiders have I think, 8 eyes. I like spiders, myself (well, the small non-venemous ones, anyway...). These ones are nice, they move in fits and starts as if they've got bad clutch problems:

Zebra Spider Salticus scenicus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uGLGJ1bjkQ

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:27 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatic checkouts AGAIN. The things hate me and they still haven't fitted a mute button because I hate being told what to do by a machine. They don't just tell you, they then pester.

It took three members of staff to un-fuck this one and ring through a root vegetable bake. Almost lost the will to live.

I was trying to be considerate and reduce staff exposure to me for COVID reasons. That didn't work. Previous time it couldn't cope with how I was packing the bag (rearranging stuff so it all fit) and kept doing alarms until the point I threw it all back in the basket and went to the manned checkout instead.

100% manned checkout from now on.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Automatic checkouts AGAIN.

Unexpected fist in the bagging area.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
When are you going to take over the London Mafia and sort Khan out?

I thought I'd let Jacinda run the world for a while, instead.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What sort of spider again? ( EDIT: Oh, I just looked at the previous page. Was it the Segestria florentina you mentioned, and posted a picture of a flattened specimen? ) You said, IIRC, an "8 eyed jumping spider". Most spiders have I think, 8 eyes. I like spiders, myself (well, the small non-venemous ones, anyway...). These ones are nice, they move in fits and starts as if they've got bad clutch problems:

I would have said "my one" from the weekend was Tegenaria gigantea.

I'm not averse to watching them go about their business, which is why I try to live and let live: its always been a fascination of mine to watch wildlife (from a distance) - but yes, as the result of a parent who was terrified of them (my father), I have inherited the fear of multi-legged critters being within running-onto-me distance. Spiders, centipedes, wetas, earwigs.

Also, all those eyes which I feel are totally unnecessary.
Why have multiple eyes when compound eyes were already invented? I suppose if I were the one in charge of the evolution of these things, I would be saying "Because I can".

If they are Over There, then I don't mind them so much, as the likelihood of them skittering over my skin (squee!!) or getting tangled in my hair (squee squared!!) is lessened considerably by distance.

Also no-legged critters: snakes, maggots - ugh.
It's the muscle action involved in their movement: it gives me the boak if I have to think about them being in contact with me.

Anyway, its not showed up again. I'm still checking the bathroom every time I walk in there but my daughter* googled the question of whether they survive a good hoovering and it steadied my nerves a little bit.

*a spirited yet sensible young woman who has managed to suppress the "terrified" genetics in order to live in Australia amongst even bigger and more poisonous spiders. I'm dead impressed and even more in love with her because of it, than I even was before. Cool Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gears today are ground as a result of the flooring at my back door step being rotten : the result of years of incoming rain, and which I almost just put my foot through.
Shocked

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Quote:

I would have said "my one" from the weekend was Tegenaria gigantea.

I'm not averse to watching them go about their business, which is why I try to live and let live: its always been a fascination of mine to watch wildlife (from a distance) - but yes, as the result of a parent who was terrified of them (my father), I have inherited the fear of multi-legged critters being within running-onto-me distance. Spiders, centipedes, wetas, earwigs.

Also, all those eyes which I feel are totally unnecessary.
Why have multiple eyes when compound eyes were already invented? I suppose if I were the one in charge of the evolution of these things, I would be saying "Because I can".

If they are Over There, then I don't mind them so much, as the likelihood of them skittering over my skin (squee!!) or getting tangled in my hair (squee squared!!) is lessened considerably by distance.

It's the muscle action involved in their movement: it gives me the boak if I have to think about them being in contact with me.

Anyway, its not showed up again. I'm still checking the bathroom every time I walk in there but my daughter* googled the question of whether they survive a good hoovering and it steadied my nerves a little bit.

*a spirited yet sensible young woman who has managed to suppress the "terrified" genetics in order to live in Australia amongst even bigger and more poisonous spiders. I'm dead impressed and even more in love with her because of it, than I even was before. Cool Wub

Yuk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WKSugzoh0

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk indeed.
Nasty bastards.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRIidXnOSu4

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

You rang?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:32 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the self checkout isn't for prostrate examinations.

'Unexpected bagging in the item area'....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No, you have to stay on your feet to go through them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No, you have to stay on your feet to go through them.

If you stand on the bagging area and bend over you can still reach.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

You rang?

Nobody expects the Fisty inquisition.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo!

*wibble*

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am v.annoyed indeed at my boss being an occasionally cantankerous old git.

I cannot put the patient's name and date of birth if you do not tell me who it is! I cannot even hazard a guess at his hospital number, let alone his NHS number.

I may be reasonably psychic after years of working for doctors and scientists of repute (! professors !) ... but this does not mean that I will immediately know who "William" actually is without reference to anything but his length of time having been coming to visit the hospital. Rolling Eyes

I think it's because he came to me last week asking me to find out a patient with a single peculiar symptom, and that I knew immediately not only that there was such a patient but also that it was a boy. I was a little more vague on whereabouts in the country he came from, but it took me less than five minutes to have found him and returned his details to the boss. So now he expects constant miracles, because he freely admits to having "the memory of a tea bag".

But that doesn't mean I am always that clever.
Or awake Shifty

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 596, 597, 598 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 597 of 698