BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant to imply was that currently I would be happy to stay on scramblers until I can't get me leg over any more.

But of course I am prone to changing my mind at the drop of a helmet hat.

edit, yay page get Dance!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What I meant to imply was...

You left a gap that I felt the need to stuff Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking
Do you often feel the need to stuff gaps, then?
Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More often than is good for me Smile

Usually in bushes hedges! Ahem.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

edit, yay page get Dance!

@recman: Middle Finger Razz Middle Finger

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you learn to prop with your right leg?

I never used to, coz rear brake. But on longer rides I'll use whichever leg wants a stretch.

Ducatti Multistrada 1200 is all day upright comfy, plenty of low end torque and handles well. I was surprised how easy to ride and how comfy & capable it was but then I'd just done an hour plus on the RC8 so diving in a skip full of glass would have been a relief by that point.

Slams you back in the seat in sport mode. Skyhook suspenders and ABS are useful.
Heavy old whale though, after getting it off the sidestand I realised just how light the RC8 is. Really good on shitty roads, stable in the sweepers.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Street Twin for three years, great bike except at over 70, wind just made it a pain on long journeys, ok for Sunday morning spin, but 4 or 5 hours at motorway speed, forget it.
I traded in for Tracer 700 a couple of years ago, it is lightweight, very zippy and responsive, you can sit at 80 all day with no problems, easy to move around the garage, no problems with it so far.
The Tracer is a pretty good all rounder, not expensive and easy to ride, recommend having a test ride and see how you go.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, this has been busy - sorry, somehow I missed the updates.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Can't you learn to prop with your right leg?

I never used to, coz rear brake. But on longer rides I'll use whichever leg wants a stretch.

Ducatti Multistrada 1200 is all day upright comfy, plenty of low end torque and handles well. I was surprised how easy to ride and how comfy & capable it was but then I'd just done an hour plus on the RC8 so diving in a skip full of glass would have been a relief by that point.

Slams you back in the seat in sport mode. Skyhook suspenders and ABS are useful.
Heavy old whale though, after getting it off the sidestand I realised just how light the RC8 is. Really good on shitty roads, stable in the sweepers.

Yeah I had considered the Strada but it's top heavy again. I could teach myself to stop on the other leg but given I'm after a bit of reassurance etc and to get back in the swing of things, it's probably a bike for later rather than now Smile

om15 wrote:
I had a Street Twin for three years, great bike except at over 70, wind just made it a pain on long journeys, ok for Sunday morning spin, but 4 or 5 hours at motorway speed, forget it.
I traded in for Tracer 700 a couple of years ago, it is lightweight, very zippy and responsive, you can sit at 80 all day with no problems, easy to move around the garage, no problems with it so far.
The Tracer is a pretty good all rounder, not expensive and easy to ride, recommend having a test ride and see how you go.

Cheers, that's helpful. I think I've discounted the Street Twin more on the grounds of power deficit than wind-blast. The Tracer I'm sure is a good bike but I am not feeling it; I need something a bit quirky I guess.

Today's been a busy one. Set off for a Triumph dealer as they'd got an R Nine T in as a trade-in. But of course I had a look around first and, to my surprise, they were really amenable to me trying more than one bike and let me have a look over / sit on the Speed Twin.

Well. Here she is:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50075264486_acc58bf4d7_c.jpg[/url]

I'd love to say that I hated it, and that it was awful and I really don't want one. But that would be complete and utter bullshit Laughing I couldn't get particularly comfortable on it because the tank is narrow and I couldn't brace myself against the tank, but with a different seat and tank pads I think it'd be an absolute belter. It is fabulous Wub

Brakes - stop on a sixpence.
Handling - stable and dart like on the front end, nimble and chuckable.
Engine - especially in Sport mode, it's a thumping torque monster with loads of grunt, a lovely sound and it revs out lovely; yet it's tractable and flexible.
It really doesn't feel as heavy as it should be with the big lump slung in there and it feels really premium.

What....a machine..... Yes.

But not for now - £11k all told new. I'm not stretching that far. But it's a very good second hand option in 3-4 years time.

And then I got what I was going there for:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50074691323_e013180e56_c.jpg[/url]

First things first - it's an odd looking thing but I must say, in that sort of oddball way that odd looking things tend to do it to you, I started to get that beauty come through after you stare at it a bit longer. In the metal they're a lovely looking thing and they're extremely well built.

Second things second - right, I should have ridden the R9T first as it was tainted a little by how good the Speed was.

But, on its own in reflection - brakes are really good and no problems there, and chassis wise it NEVER feels like its 220kg girth. In fact it's easier to pick up off the stand than the Enfield as the weight is so low down.

It's got a nice seat height and the riding position is so neutral that it's all day comfortable - a little high in the pegs? Maybe, but I wouldn't say overly so in that it was a problem.

Power, it's nowhere near as quick as the Speed Twin (see what I mean about not back-to-backing them) but had a lovely grunt to it, with it fuelling smooth and feeling usable but not at all scary - roll-on torque is good but not astounding. But it's more than quick enough for a naked roadster. Can fly past things without a struggle.

It's exactly what you should reckon a BMW should feel like. A great all round package, well built and premium. That's what it was. But don't let me fool you into thinking it doesn't have character. It does - the engine is very charismatic and it's got a real presence to it.

So I think I'm off to find a decent R Nine T in budget and then 3-4 years down the line a Speed Twin will definitely be in the garage Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't live with that BM. I'd cringe everytime I saw myself in a shop window. Laughing

I know some bikes are godawful lookers but are so good to ride that you can forgive most things but not that, sorry.

I haven't got any other suggestions from what has been given by others. I did love my STR but only as a fun bike, not a serious mile muncher.

A thought, if you like the speed, how about the Tiger 1050 sport? A road biased adventure bike that I found nicer to ride than the speed, same motor as well although maybe too tall with your leg problems.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I couldn't live with that BM. I'd cringe everytime I saw myself in a shop window. Laughing

I know some bikes are godawful lookers but are so good to ride that you can forgive most things but not that, sorry.

I haven't got any other suggestions from what has been given by others. I did love my STR but only as a fun bike, not a serious mile muncher.

A thought, if you like the speed, how about the Tiger 1050 sport? A road biased adventure bike that I found nicer to ride than the speed, same motor as well although maybe too tall with your leg problems.

It is much better looking in the flesh - the details are mad; those ram pipes on the front and the link pipe to the exhaust. The monster of its ilk looks tacked together, this does look styled in a way. That said, the Akra pipe on this particular bike - NOOO. Big no. Blasphemy? Possibly, but no, sounded awful. Looks out of place. I'll be looking for one with a standard pipe.

Afraid 1050 Tiger too tall. I have sat on one before and all bikes of that ilk should suit me but I have a very peculiar and specific set of circumstances; I only know when I know, so to speak. That one. I know....

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Well I'm gonna have to try to get over it now Laughing Unlike my last Wot Bike M8 where I procrastinated for months, this one I got stuck in.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50085642638_deb5a31dbd_c.jpg

It's the right colour, with the right bits - low level Akrapovic cans, engine guards (not sure on the gold though - might wrap those) and the bike is scrupulously clean with full history and still in warranty.

Pick it up later in the week / at the weekend depending on how weather shapes up Thumbs Up

Thanks for your help guys. Wouldn't have got to where I got to without you Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually looks a lot better with the black highlights than the silver on does. It's still not what I would call good looking but its amazing how a slightly different paint job can transform a bike.

The double seat helps as well. Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and it's odd because the 'extras' of the hump on the rear seat of the silver one looked cheap and tacky to me - whereas the standard seat makes the bike look loads better. Although losing that does mean that I have that massive piece of black plastic dildo jutting out from the back of the bike to hold the reg on but that'll blend in a bit better when I stick a rack on it, which I will do anyhow. Rack will give me somewhere for the Kreiga US30 for daily use and combined with a 60L rollbag across rear seat I should have loads of storage for longer jaunts away which is nice.

Really looking forward to getting it now. Although I need to sort insurance out and that's not proving too easy. Wanted to go with BeMoto as I'm with them on Enfield but they're ~£130 more expensive and I can't justify that; so ~I'll be with Devitts again then I guess even though it's against my better principles.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get used to seeing bikes without some kind of styled tail piece. Just looks unfinished to me.
Hope you get plenty of enjoyment from it though arry - that's what really counts Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:30 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a bike I'd love to try out.. that looks alright!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was logic in my suggestion that the low CoG of the RNineT might make it feel a bit less heavy than it really is after all. Very Happy Looks really good - if they were in budget when I was in the market for my Street Twin I probably would have got one, but alas at the time they were a bit pricey.

Enjoy the bike. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit, just tried a quick tweak and I think I'd prefer the bike without any of the gold highlights . . . in monochrome I think it looks bloody gorgeous. Wub
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/sepiad_rninet.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:37 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with my move further north, the GSXR may get shafted and chopped in for something like this. Embarassed

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks lovely, bar the engine covers they look a little tacky.

Look forward to seeing it in the thread full of photos.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile

Paddy. wrote:
Now that is a bike I'd love to try out.. that looks alright!

They're plenty hustle-able but nothing like a sportsbike of course. Doesn't feel heavy on the road at all but doesn't feel scalpel-like as a GSXR does. It's a bruiser that's gone a bit middle aged and soft around the belly, but can still knock you out if you get too lairy.

Just another totally different experience; different sound, handling characteristics, and delivery. I do like new and different.

Engine covers appear to be SW Motech and I wouldn't be too upset to stick some wrap over them to make them look a bit better. Or I might just take them off and get some bars - undecided yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2