Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

need a sm type bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 18:12 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: need a sm type bike Reply with quote

Basically looking for a super moto/dirt bike type thingy (don't know the differences so feel free to laugh).
Will use it to get to work and learning to stunt on. What bikes would suit my needs? Was thinking of a 250 or bigger.

Don't give a toss about cosmetics, it could have no fairings for all I care as long as it runs ok and I don't need to do any work to it to get the thing running when I buy it.
Not looking to spend too much as I'll be ragging the bike a lot and I'd need it right away while my ninjas out of action, preferably this weekend.

Somebody must have had the will power to read through my ramblings so any ideas?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:15 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the will power, and my first thought was simply 'ebay'.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 18:17 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had the will power but obviously not the capacity of thought.

I wanted to know which bikes I should be looking at as I don't have a clue about these sort of bikes. I wasn't asking people if they had a bike for sale. Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:32 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ400 Supermoto... should be a few on ebay, will do everything you mention with more reliability than other bikes, they aren't cheap but they aren't really expensive for a supermoto either.. I think you're looking at about £2000... if you want really cheap then only real options are bikes like DR600/650, KLR600/650 (smoto bob is selling one I think) Just search for "supermoto" on ebay and see what it brings up in your price range.........

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 18:35 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood me yams.
When I said I didn't want to spend too much what I really meant was, I dont want to spend too much.

I was looking at under a grand or is that not enough for a bike like these?

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:37 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi lad.

Just do a search on ebay for two stroke or such

Get shit like this https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9808&item=4538921321&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

What is your price bracket anyhew?

Oh can i suggest thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9809&item=4537611045&rd=1

If i had 500 to spare Laughing
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:38 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gti wrote:

Buy that Rd350!!!!!

Then bring it down so i can play on it (i'll let you play on the cbr Razz )
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:41 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick 'enduro' into ebay, or go onto ebaymotors.co.uk and specify the type as off-road/enduro with your price bracket.

That's how I'd do it.

Personally I'd go for a cheap small capacity 2 stroke, buckets of fun.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:45 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gti wrote:
I think you misunderstood me yams.
When I said I didn't want to spend too much what I really meant was, I dont want to spend too much.

You'll get a crappy enduro for under a grand, prob a DR600/650 with cast 3 spoke wheels.. but forget anything decent unless you double that grand, at least..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:47 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a dr600 that needed a bit of work for £635 (and I had to fight for that last £5)!

Ended up needing a bit more work than I was hoping, but even so it shouldn't be more than £1k total when I've got the front brake sorted.
It's got proper spoked wheels.

I haven't properly ridden a 'decent' supermoto, but not convinced it's worth saving up for unless you've got the money to splash out.
(ie you could get a decent mx and 1/2 decent old sports bike for the price of a decent sm Smile ).

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask lilredbaron as he has a lovely MZ Supermoto 125. Pretty good and he got it for a nice price. Worth a look if you ask me.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if its specifically a supermoto you want and not just a road legal trail/enduro bike, both of which would be a laugh for stunting etc, then you will have to find a ready made SM bike, that will have some old cast wheels, or a shabby set of spoked rims. It costs well over a grand to convert a decent late enduro/trail bike into a decent SM, at the very least, and a set of spoked SM wheels is over £500 with the cheapest spec rims etc.
I would personally not worry about having to have a supermoto with 17" wheels for a grand, as its almost impossible to find anything suitable. Just look for a half decent seconhand trailie, but bear in mind that the bigger 500/600cc stuff, is often in high demand by sportsbike riders who want a second cheap/winter bike. So you might find things like Dominators/DR650's etc all a bit pricey for anything thats decent. You'd have a better chance of finding something like a DR350/XT350/KLR250 in decent nick for a grand. Older dirt orientated 2strokes might be worth looking at too, but anything thats useful off road like the KMX200/KDX200/CRM250 will likely have been jumped, dropped smashed and totally worn out by enthusiastic off roaders!
My KMX200 cost me £500 with a few spares, but its got everything wrong with it, and nearly all the mechanical parts are totally knackered, so its going to cost me well over a grand to sort out, whether i decide to supermoto it or not!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:51 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Ask lilredbaron as he has a lovely MZ Supermoto 125.

Personally I'm not sure if a 125 4stroke should be considered quite a 'supermoto'... it hardly has the power to make use of road tyres.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KLR600 was £800 s/h in almost perfect condition (for year(1989)). Like everyone else has said it would be really expensive to buy an off-roader and convert to a supermoto so if I was you I'd just get a trailie with semi's on or see if smoto_bob still has his KLR600 supermoto for sale.

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 17:42 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anybody twigged it but I said I don't know what the differences are. People keep talking about converting to a supermoto and I'm like huh?

Does it matter what wheels it has? It doesn't have to be a big bore thing, I'm guessing a 2 stroke 250 would have enough power for my needs as it won't be doing heavy motorways..
Can somebody fill me in on the differences please.

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:08 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you know roughly what a dirt bike is like to start off with.

https://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/machines/2003/ktm/img/450exc.jpg

The difference is on a super moto you have smaller wheels with road tyres. They generally have stiffer suspension too.

https://www.thueringen.de/imperia/md/images/polizei/lka/fahndung/sachfahndung/660smc_160x157.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1