Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Women only trackdays?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from UK National to General Bike Chat by Korn (8 Apr 2005 - 13:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... note that a few companies do do novice only trackdays.

These are split into three groups of novice rider, so you should get placed with people near your ability.

These are more common than female only days and would seem to make more sense.

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:19 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Women Only' trackdays?

Honestly, what bloody difference does it make if you're male/female?

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:20 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

A true novice (1st timer) should be in a bib, the rest of the group should be made up of the nervy and slow...

That's what I'd like to see (and take part in) Thumbs Up

(As opposed to the nervy and slow mixed with those who could get their knees down round every corner of the track Shocked Shocked )

G wrote:
Also... note that a few companies do do novice only trackdays.

These are split into three groups of novice rider, so you should get placed with people near your ability.

I'll look for something like the above when I next fancy a go on track Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:25 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found, in general, that the novice groups have been pretty good, I could only point to one incident where someone passed me in a rather Thumbs Down manner and that's out of a fair number of trackdays.

You can also tilt things to your advantage a little if you want by going out at the back of the group or by being intentionally slow on the straight so everything gets past you easily there, leaving you free to concentrate on the corners by yourself.

Personally, I give anyone in a bib a wide berth, not only for their peace of mind, but for mine too - feck knows what line they're going to take. Laughing

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 20:34 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also give bibed riders a bit of space, where i would scoot past somelike bendy in the brakeing zone, i will prefer to position my self for maximum accelration out of the bend to attack a novice rarther, this minimises the risk to me of them taking an abnormal line or speed round the bend.
Most people seam to do this, i've been in a que of people behind a vey slow bibed rider at croft, and we all followed them round the last 3-4 tight slow bends and blatted past them out of the hairpin.
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it's just something she's mentioned in passing and I thought I'd throw it up in the air. I'm all for her doing it because I'm of the opinion that riding on a track whilst devoid of distractions improves general riding, and it would improve her confidence.

I appreciate what people are saying about why a women-only day would make no difference, but women are generally less aggressive, macho etc and whilst I wouldn't see it as a problem for her, she hasn't done one before and I can't tell her what to think.

Bendy wrote:
Why not just organise a few other ladies that want a go and book together?

That sounds like the easiest compromise / solution Thumbs Up

First thing's first though, she needs a decent set of leathers, not the crappy Buffalo ones she has at the moment with the small zip at the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay12329 wrote:
where i would scoot past somelike bendy in the brakeing zone

Bendy, he's saying you're slow!

Sounds like a challenge! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scottiel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:02 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this post came up, I have noticed some strange things at track days and come to the conclussion that it is down to the organisers.

I went to 2 race training days and the youngest person was a 12 year old girl, and she was bloody good, no fear. There was also a woman in her early 20's racing a zxr400. They were total beginners but just got on with it. We were all mixed in together.

There was the odd problem of being slowed up but everyone has to start somewhere. There wasn't one crash. I think this was because every one knew to take it easy.

I have also been to trackdays and seen racers going out in the novice class.This I found out later was due to too many people in one group, so they got moved around. This is bad management.

Apart from that a well run event should suit anyone. If someone came up to me after and said you were going slow they would get told to F**K off.

Just go out, enjoy yourself and do your own thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 21:23 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
jay12329 wrote:
where i would scoot past somelike bendy in the brakeing zone

Bendy, he's saying you're slow!

Sounds like a challenge! Laughing

We dont need any encouragement to try and out do each other. A couple of time last year the red mist took over and we had some very good fights. And i genrally out braked her.
J

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:30 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's quite selective with his stories, isn't he? Laughing

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i did, you got pased me in other ways. Laughing
J

M
Less Clutch Slip!

PostPosted: 20:31 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all the posts (far too lazy for that) but I feel just like Jeanette does.

However whilst feeling confident, the rash decision of booking a track day crossed my mind so now I am doing a track day on the 25th April at Cadwell Park.

Although still feeling VERY nervous I just figure if I don't do it once how will I ever know whether I enjoy it or not.

If I don't enjoy it I won't do another. However, if I do enjoy it Stew will have to start finding enough money for the both of us to do track days.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:40 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
However whilst feeling confident, the rash decision of booking a track day crossed my mind so now I am doing a track day on the 25th April at Cadwell Park.

Time to see if I can get another picture of you wheelying again.

It will stop Stew nabbing your bike for track days though.

All the best

Keith

M
Less Clutch Slip!

PostPosted: 20:51 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith its confirmed the extension won't be ready in time for the 25th April ( Mad it should however have been up and sorted by the week commencing 11th) but nevermind we will put a bed in the house somewhere for you.

The hallway or kitchen or maybe even the garage Wink . Oh that's right the beds already in the garage Confused Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sitting room floor will be fine. Time to make another cake.

Much more to be done on the extension?

All the best

Keith

M
Less Clutch Slip!

PostPosted: 14:15 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Much more to be done on the extension?

We need the roof putting on albeit that should be starting week commencing the 4th April then the internal walls need building, plastering, wiring up etc. After that we need the bathroom moving into what is now our bedroom and the wall where the bathroom is at the moment knocked through into the extension.

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:49 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: ER ESCUSE ME !! Reply with quote

Last year I ran a group exclusive to first timers, yes some of them were ladys , some of them really did have the ability to run with the fast group ! (really funny to see a little lass on a cbr400 making the 998 boys look daft!). Very Happy so it really is better to look at riding at a circuit that is not too daunting (Llandow/Pembrey/ Mallory etc)
I think the problem with most riders who have not done a trackday before is that they get into such a panic that they tend to wind themselves up so much they either dont turn up at all or only go out once Exclamation
I really dont understand why so many new trackriders go to the major circuits (Donnington/Cadwell/Oulton/ Silverstone etc)
There are a huge number of events and more circuits in the uk open for trackdays so why not start at the begining and enjoy the experience Cool .
I will NEVER understand riders that book into the slow group that want to massage there fragile egoes by scareing genuine newbies but it does happen on every day- especially "groups" showing off to each other just so that they can go and boast on internet forums etc how they kicked ass Wink You know its true

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldnt be that bad to be honenst,
especially when you have Craig there Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigs pussied out and cancelled!

M
Less Clutch Slip!

PostPosted: 20:25 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: ER ESCUSE ME !! Reply with quote

a1trackdays wrote:
I really dont understand why so many new trackriders go to the major circuits (Donnington/Cadwell/Oulton/ Silverstone etc)

For me the reason for going to Cadwell is the fact it's only 40/50 miles away from where I live which is by far the closest and when you have to ride there and ride back why not take the closest option.

It also means I don't have to get up any earlier than 6.00am - there is no such thing as 5.59am or earlier unless i'm just getting in from a night out Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2