Lake District

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like where this discussion seems to be headed Laughing
Enduro, if you were to go to Switzerland again, would you go by car or public transport, rather than by bike?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:01 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few seconds deliberation I've got to say "none of the above". Fed up going only to find passes closed and ending up on their shitty little motorways Wink

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If all I wanted was to ride good roads, I'd have moved to Wales and be done with it.

I did. It's just as awesome as people imagine.

Pic is maybe 5 mins from my house. 10 if I go the back way. I don't live "in the sticks" by any stretch of the imagination. Granted, the Lakes are truly stunning, but in N. Wales we have scenery *and* roads that give you a shiteating grin even on a fat, lardy VFR.

https://i.imgur.com/XmF0BnO.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
After a few seconds deliberation I've got to say "none of the above". Fed up going only to find passes closed and ending up on their shitty little motorways Wink

I've never encountered a closed pass, in the Alps or elsewhere Razz Nor did I use a motorway in Switzerland Wink Laughing *
Cheer up Smile

*Tell a lie, I used one once on my way home.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 17:28 - 13 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
If all I wanted was to ride good roads, I'd have moved to Wales and be done with it.

I did. It's just as awesome as people imagine.

Pic is maybe 5 mins from my house. 10 if I go the back way. I don't live "in the sticks" by any stretch of the imagination. Granted, the Lakes are truly stunning, but in N. Wales we have scenery *and* roads that give you a shiteating grin even on a fat, lardy VFR.

https://i.imgur.com/XmF0BnO.jpg

That pic looks a bit flat for Wales!
I loved all the riding I did in Wales, best place in the UK for sheer kicks. But I fell (no pun intended) for the Lake District because of walking. Scotland is all just a bit too remote for me, and rather barren. I've walked across Wales from Chepstow to Conwy, but the Lakes are Goldilocks for me as far as walking the hills is concerned. You can keep it short or do something more challenging, and its great for a bit of amateur landscape photography. And living nearby, I can pick my times and days to avoid the crowds - you won't see many other people in my photos of the region.

But you know what? I love 'em all. Variety is the spice of life, an' all that Smile

Wish I could visit the Himalayas though...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
That pic looks a bit flat for Wales!

It's just the beginnings of the Berwyn range (Minera --> World's End road). It's gets ess flat from there on in.

With you on the Himalaya's though. I'd be wanting a Honda 600 or Yammy 660 single for that jaunt though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

With you on the Himalaya's though. I'd be wanting a Honda 600 or Yammy 660 single for that jaunt though.

I have a fantasy about being fit enough to be on foot there, and just keep moving Laughing
Or, give me opium, weed, a sack of rice and a cave with an awesome mountain view and I could happily end my days there Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I hinted earlier you can go to the Lakes the first time and burn round the main roads and you will mainly feel exploited.
There is a lot more which is harder to discover without some effort and preferably at least a weekend stay.
For example Ullswater has that obnoxious (A592?) road which is just impossible to pass anything and if you do there's another 30mph camper 50 yards ahead.
But the Eastern side round Martindale is like another world., still too many people walking about but a delight to pootle around (damn you'll all go now Laughing )
The best thing you can do is avoid the roads at peak times and avoid Bank Holidays there altogether.

A few days spent there in May or early October have been one of my best holidays anywhere ever - and pleasant warm weather too.
Above all you need to be prepared to stop and walk at least a mile or two. A bike is still advantageous as 100x easier to park without paying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

For example Ullswater has that obnoxious (A592?) road which is just impossible to pass anything and if you do there's another 30mph camper 50 yards ahead.

I've had some good rides along there with little traffic to contend with. Once you know it, there are a couple of spots where you can overtake.

Quote:
But the Eastern side round Martindale is like another world., still too many people walking about but a delight to pootle around (damn you'll all go now Laughing )

I've done that one once. Can't think of anything much to recommend it until you get to the end where there's an interesting little climb. And at the top, a chance to...scramble up a fell! Laughing With a good view over Ullswater:

https://i.postimg.cc/htp7GKDG/DSCN4760.jpg

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. You were correct traffic was an absolute T**t. Road surfaces weren't much better but still an enjoyable few days.

Ended up to doing the Wynrose pass followed by the Hard knot pass. Not for the faint hearted. Everyone else in the group was on adventure bikes so no great dramas but I went over on the zx9r which was an experience I wont be repeating but made it up and back down without binning it, although the front end was a bit peaky going up some of the inclines.

One of the lads lost a pannier half way up, which proceeded to roll back down the hill so we had to stop at the top and trek down for recovery.

We did the the road from Windemere to Ullswater on Friday which was thankfully quiet and would be excellent run with a resurface but still enjoyable as it was.

There isn't much around unless you enjoy walking which was previously suggested.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windermere is one place I do avoid like the plague.
I think Wales would be more your thing. The touring bug really is about more than just riding, and whilst Wales makes a good touring destination if your interests extend beyond that, for me it's the best place to go if you want to concentrate on fun riding.

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have toured all over and usually do Europe but was unable this time for obvious reasons. There was still no guarantee of Welsh/Scottish borders being open so the lakes were a safe bet.

I spent a couple of days in the lakes on the way to Scotland circa 15 years ago on the bike but allot changes in that time so wanted recommendations from locals/people who visit the area regularly.

It just meant we spent more time at the campsite eating and drinking so not all was lost.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2