Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Paris police after noisy bikers.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Paris police after noisy bikers. Reply with quote

An interesting article on Paris taking on noisy bikers. OK, that's nothing unusual but the bit in there that looks nasty for us bikers is the automatic detector, a bit like speed cameras for noise. I'm sure our powers that be will be looking hungrily at the fine potential for that.

Hopefully it will pick up people blaring out rap crap from their cars as well. Laughing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53521561/paris-police-step-up-anti-noise-patrols

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there seems to be a general theme of discouraging people to take up biking Sad Less congestion, lower pollution, people having fun... can't have it! Does not compute!!!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 26 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with these acoustic cameras here is that there is no indication that they will take into account the age of the vehicle. Ever more restrictive noise limits have been introduced progressively since the 1970s, and the limits for cars were/are lower than for bikes. If someone trips a "noise camera" by pootling into West Meon at 30mph on a Vincent Black Shadow with open pipes, I'm not sure what law they would be breaking. Being a nuisance by choosing a lower gear? Well, it's 30mph, so why shouldn't he use a lower gear?

Wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the West Meon trial, the people behind it will suddenly make the appearance known of a "grassroots" lobby group for a new, blanket, noise law at a national level.

baritone
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:48 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congestion charging cameras / ANPR can distinguish vintage/classic vehicles so I guess these sound "cameras" could do. As I'm one of the people who isn't convinced by the "loud pipes save lives" argument I hope it at least moderates the instinct in some bikers to ride with obnoxious pipes.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the West Meon trial, the people behind it will suddenly make the appearance known of a "grassroots" lobby group for a new, blanket, noise law at a national level.

Depressingly probably prophetic.

My 120DB GSXR, I'm not baffling it, had enough of revenue raising crap dressed up as think of the children laws to appease a minority of petty little shits that usually CHOSE to buy their house next to a main road/race track/airport/military training area/shooting range/etc.

Noise cameras going to be the straw for this camels back, I will just stop playing legally.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ge.com/news/reports/12529-2

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like a reasonably loud exhaust as much as anyone, considering loud exhausts have been a problem for decades it's amazing there are still plenty about almost painful when they go past.
Here we are two valleys from the Yorkshire TT Helmsley-Stokesley but can still here them going along it on a calm evening - that's got to hurt if you live nearby and are trying to get kids to sleep at 8pm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are seizing illegal exhausts in germany

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
they are seizing illegal exhausts in germany

Taking the silencer off and leaving you with a straight through downpipe. Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced 2 incidents in the past week where a couple of parps from the pipes have made people aware of my presence and prevented an incident.
Just people stepping out into the road while concentrating on their phones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a nice sounding exhaust, but I'm not sure if I would care if the police started to crack down on excessively loud exhausts. It does piss me off in the summer having to listen to bikes ride past constantly with stupid sounds exhausts and riders that are always thrashing it on a 30mph road and I'm not even living next to a popular bike road. It must be hell for people who buy nice country houses only to have people ride past it all day whenever it's sunny out.

The loud pipes save lives argument never made sense to me either. If someone steps out in front of you then use your damn horn instead. At least then you can actually use your engine braking to slow down for the hazard instead of having to pull the clutch in.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all subjective. A loud exhaust might actually sound nice and be appropriate for the bike. I think everyone would be a bit weirded out by a Super Bike with a quiet exhaust note. If I still lived out in the sticks I'd lump in the sound of an old Norton into the background like bird song and cows farting.

Scooters though, no one likes a loud exhaust on one of those.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 29 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why they are bothering. We'll all be on silent electric bikes within 20 years.

Well, those of us still alive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1