Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF 250 Choke - What is this thing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

m22rdy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Honda CBF 250 Choke - What is this thing? Reply with quote

Hello There...,

I have a Honda 250 from 2004, the choke was sticking on so I dismantled the cable and pulled out this thing from the engine or carburettor. During my destroy it myself (DIY) job I have managed to lose the spring which I guess is important but the problem lays with trying to find the part. This part was connected to the bottom. I have checked various different Honda parts websites and cannot see it on the diagrams.

I am also unsure whether I can get a similar spring or just a spring kit and try until one fits. The other issue is that this bike is rare (not desirable rare Laughing ) and finding second hand parts for it is a nightmare.

Thank You All In Advance

TL;DR : Dismantled, spring went weeeee and couldn't find again, can't find on catalogues for Honda spares, what's the part called?

https://i.postimg.cc/XvZjY8Wq/Honda.jpg

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:56 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the starter valve. Part no. 16046MBV003. The spring, needle valve and plastic fitting are all one kit and you can't buy the spring on its own. replacement parts are about £35.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:00 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get a spring out of a Biro and see if that works, if it doesnt , do a bit of measuring. The spring will fit over the smallest diameter on the plunger - plus you could check the movement by measuring the movement on the cable between choke on and choke off. say its 15 mm try a spring 25mm long. The diameter will be 0.5mm .Then try these people.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-Spring-Various-Size-4-13mm-Diameter-10-75mm-Length-Pressure-Small/222454542337?hash=item33cb52f001:g:tTEAAOSwBu9dWrM2

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exactly the same as my Africa Twin chokes. Try looking on the Rugged Road website. I know they sell a metal version of the black plastic bit (they break easily as they age) they might do the springs as well.

There was a bloke on the xrv.org forum who worked out what the spring size and strength was and bought a big box of them and sold them to various members.

m22rdy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:42 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You all for the help and input, I'm finally at a stage where I can give a meaningful update

martin734 wrote:
That is the starter valve. Part no. 16046MBV003. The spring, needle valve and plastic fitting are all one kit and you can't buy the spring on its own. replacement parts are about £35.

Excellent help, I thought I could get the little spring and clip separate (clip circled in blue) but you wouldn't believe how impossible it is. I purchased the whole set for £60 delivered from motorcycle spares eu (which is actually a company from The Netherlands), it's on back order until 26th September.

https://i.postimg.cc/vBy3mkvY/parts.png

I also purchased a new choke cable from the same place for £40, this was delivered this week and comparing them both old to new, this was the offending part.

steve the grease wrote:
Or get a spring out of a Biro and see if that works, if it doesnt , do a bit of measuring. The spring will fit over the smallest diameter on the plunger - plus you could check the movement by measuring the movement on the cable between choke on and choke off. say its 15 mm try a spring 25mm long. The diameter will be 0.5mm .Then try these people.

Hi Steve,

I bought a whole spring set from ebay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assorted-Box-of-Compression-Springs-10-Sizes-Qty-70-Expansion-Tension/111244539948?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
but the issue eventually became with that small clip, I tried eBay, Amazon, Hardware Stores, Iron Mongers etc to find an individual part but in the end the part basically cost me the £60.

yen_powell wrote:
Looks exactly the same as my Africa Twin chokes. Try looking on the Rugged Road website. I know they sell a metal version of the black plastic bit (they break easily as they age) they might do the springs as well.

There was a bloke on the xrv.org forum who worked out what the spring size and strength was and bought a big box of them and sold them to various members.

Hi Yen,

I eventually bit the bullet and bought the kit, I tried the springs but it was the clip for the plastic part that destroyed me. It's called a spring retaining clip but I kept getting either cotter clips, oversized retaining clips or a set of imperial measures from USA with £30 delivery.

Since posting, I've also:

- Replaced the fork seals
- Rebuilt front end
- Stripped and cleaned and Bled Brakes
- Removed old chain
- Stripped and cleaned sprockets
- Stripped and cleaned rear shoes

.. and this is the story of my Destroy It Myself (DIY) journey that started with a sticking choke that wouldn't disengage. I'll post an update when I've put the new chain on and replaced the valve starter set and the bike is ready to get another MOT.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:00 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the chain is fucked, so are the sprockets. All you are going to do is ruin the new chain if you dont change the sprockets at the same time.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I had constant trouble with the choke sticking on my Africa Twin, I got rid of the cables and blanked off the chokes. I put the metal plunger and spring in the hole and used the blanking plugs from the front brake calipers to screw into the hole. I ran the bike like that for a few years, it started okay and the tick over was a lot more stable and low speed riding was better.

m22rdy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:04 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the chain is fucked, so are the sprockets. All you are going to do is ruin the new chain if you dont change the sprockets at the same time.

Hi Nobby,

The chain is only fucked because it wasn't cleaned with the salt during last winters hack and it's been left parked up outside from February to July, then moving allowed me a garage and corona allowed me time to start this DIY project. Previously my FIL had a dedicated bike mechanic working for him but he has since retired. I could have worked the chain and freed it eventually but for £30, it was basically diminishing returns on time v money.

The sprockets are relatively new and in good condition, a good scrub with a wire brush removed all the surface rust. The bike was in garaged condition when I bought it a few years ago as a winter hack instead of using the GSXR, I have subsequently got rid of GSXR and tried to replace it in March literally a week before lockdown and the dealerships shut before a deal was arranged. I'll wait again till 2021 before purchase as it's pointless paying a lot of money for little use.

yen_powell wrote:
Because I had constant trouble with the choke sticking on my Africa Twin, I got rid of the cables and blanked off the chokes. I put the metal plunger and spring in the hole and used the blanking plugs from the front brake calipers to screw into the hole. I ran the bike like that for a few years, it started okay and the tick over was a lot more stable and low speed riding was better.

Hi Yen,

Would have loved the knowledge to do this or even fabricate anything but I'm still at the stages of figuring out how everything slots together and works. My next part is discovering how to remove the fuel tank, I know I have fuel lines and bolts, and I have nearly a full tank so I need to get that off so I can get that new valve kit at the top of the carburettor or even lifted up slightly but that's an adventure for next month, and doing all this without looking like the Vietnamese monk from Siagon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1