Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

4 Cylinder Bikes A2 Bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SZN20
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:26 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: 4 Cylinder Bikes A2 Bikes? Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I'm looking for a 4 cylinder A2 bike that's restrictable, i know the XJ6 is reccomended also i love the gsx650f but thats a little too heavy sitting at 250kg or so.
Ive always wanted like a 2008 Hornet but thats too powerful :/.
Please give me suggestions im looking at bikes which will sound good with a full system so you can reccomend bikes such as SV650 as it has a nice punchy sound.

Thank You
i Have about a 3000 Budget

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: 4 Cylinder Bikes A2 Bikes? Reply with quote

SZN20 wrote:
I'm looking for a 4 cylinder A2 bike that's restrictable.........so you can reccomend bikes such as SV650 as it has a nice punchy sound.

Y'know the SV650 is a V-twin, right?

KTM Duke 390?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornet - but 250

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:45 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 bikes I have ridden that I would recommend, The Honda CBF600 which is very easy to ride, all-day comfortable and excellent build quality. Not the most exciting bike though and weight is about 225kg. Next is the Yamaha XJ6, looks good, nice to ride, handles very well but I felt that the engine is a bit harsh and buzzy at higher revs which can make long rides tiring. Weight is about 215kg. The last is the GSX650f. This is my favourite of the three. I think it looks really good, it handles beautifully and is very easy to ride it is very comfortable for a sports type bike and of the three I have mentioned it would be the bike I would keep after I have my full A licence and derestrict it. I don't know where you saw a weight of 250kg for the GSX650f, that is only about 50kg lighter than my Pan European. I think the actual weight is around 225kg.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP asked this question in their other thread and I have the same answer; CB650F from 2014 onwards. 80-odd bhp, four cylinder, nimble, reliable and pretty simple.

OP: four cylinder engines that are sub the A2 maximum for restriction are unlikely to be "punchy". If you want rev-happy smoothness, get a 4 pot and live with the fact you'll need to work it, if you want bucket loads of torque from low down but more vibes, get a twin or single. Theoretically a triple will be the best of both but I can't think if any obvious contenders off the top of my head in that power range.

Personally, I'd go for a twin - low down torque "feels" faster (this is why diesel cars often feel punchier than comparable petrols, even if they are evenly matched in true performance). "Feeling" faster is probably the place to be as a new/newish rider as you're less likely to flatten yourself. Many modern twins are pretty smooth too. I like the SV650 but many will tell you it's boring and hopeless, but it's pretty cheap and they seem to be relatively good at selling so you'll probably move it on fairly easily when you get bored of it.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZS600... 94bhp for a grand, can't go wrong.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to look at a CBF600 and a ZR7S at the same time when buying my first big bike. I went back and forth, etc. Went with the ZR7S as something didn't sit right about the CBF 600 and loved it. Went with a CBF1000 over a ZRX1200S when moving on, and guess what? I loathe it. I'm now going from a CBF1000 to a FZS 600 in the near future.

GSX650F looks nice, but I could never stump up for the price.

XJ6 was always too high on insurance for me.

SV650 is a twin, too leany forward for me.

So.. FZS 600 or ZR7S gets my vote. Never looked beyond that, and if I had I wouldn't be going with the FZS 600 currently. Looks to tick all the boxes.

Weight means nothing (mostly) once you're on the move.

We're not you, though, so who knows? Go ask to sit on some (may be hard at the moment depending on dealership rules given COVID) and see what you like in person.

£3,000 is a crazy amount. I'd spent perhaps half of that on the model you settle with, and save the rest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1