Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cb750 DOHC popping out of gear.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blocke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:57 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Cb750 DOHC popping out of gear. Reply with quote

I was riding the other day when my 79 CB 750 popped out of gear. No warning whatsoever. Now it won’t stay in any gear. I remove the clutch and it looks almost brand new. Looking at the shifter linkage it will shift through all gears although it is hard to get into first and won’t go into fifth. Any help would be appreciated greatly

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:39 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a bent gear selector , but how?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:45 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve, bent something in the box. Nothing for it but to remove the engine and split it open. Since you have the clutch apart anyway you might check the end of the selector drum just in case its only the pawl wheel (aka star wheel) that's come loose.

Full set of internals here EXCEPT the drum and selector arm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-CB-750-DOHC-1979-1982-Gear-Box-Selector-Forks-Selector-Drums/332581973215

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn selectors are a common problem with most ageing gearboxes - in all vehicles.
If it seems to have come on very suddenly that could indicate something else more serious has happened though. A bearing starting to go maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1