Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hopefully a new biker some time soon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgt68
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:43 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Hopefully a new biker some time soon Reply with quote

Hi folks. As per the title, there appears to have been something of a thaw in the KGT household and my dear other half has decided that I've now grown up enough to be slightly trusted and the icy shoulder shown towards any previous mention of a motorbike seems to be melting.

The fact that I'm now 51 is a bit of a bugger, but hey, you've got to grab a chance while its there, right.

Luckily I've got a bike school just round the corner from me and places are available. I've got a CBT planned in for early August and I'm looking at bikes next week with a view to buying something that I can sit on in my garage and make vroom vroom noises till I'm road legal.

I'd normally rush into this all gung ho, but I'm considering starting on a 125cc, getting the road miles under my belt and then looking at going the DAS route early next year. Any flaws in that plan, assuming I can maintain my patience ?

I've been reading on line about the process for getting a full licence and went to find my photocard out of curiosity. I passed my test back in Sept '91 and looking at the back of the card I see a number of categories which includes the "A" motorcycle section 19.01.13 through to 01.10.38 (with a restriction for trikes)

Before I get too excited, I thought I'd better check with the experts. I presume I still need to go through the whole CBT, Theory, Hazard, Mod 1+2 process and this doesnt give me some kind of magic pass to jump on a 500cc straight away with being an old git ? Let me know.

Appreciate any comments and advice. I come from a background of modified Subarus (and the associated forums) + Mountain Biking & Road Biking, but please dont hold that against me. Cheers, KGT

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need to do it all.

I'd go straight to big boy licence. You'll find a 125 tedious and you are old enough you probably have enough sense to not go and buy an early GSXR thou or R1 as a first bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a cbt and got a 125 because it seemed like a good idea - in retrospect i'd do the same again, although i would probably have been alright on something like a 500 twin

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Hopefully a new biker some time soon Reply with quote

kgt68 wrote:

I've got a CBT planned in for early August and I'm looking at bikes next week with a view to buying something that I can sit on in my garage and make vroom vroom noises till I'm road legal.

Wouldn't recommend buying anything until you've at least had some seat time. You might not even enjoy it. It does happen.

Keep your powder dry for now, go do the CBT and see how you feel. You'll also then know a bit about what you want from a bike, once you've been on one. Buying one without having ridden doesn't give you that opportunity.

kgt68 wrote:
I'd normally rush into this all gung ho, but I'm considering starting on a 125cc, getting the road miles under my belt and then looking at going the DAS route early next year. Any flaws in that plan, assuming I can maintain my patience ?

No flaw to it, but the second you go on a bike bike you'll be hard pushed to see why you sat yourself on a 125 in the first place. That's not to say they can't be fun, but big bikes are just so much more so, and are easier to ride, more refined, better brakes better handling better everything really.

But as a plan it's not a bad one - again, it gives you the chance to work out what you want from biking and, indeed, whether you actually like it!

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 years old you'll be wise enough not to ride like a tit regardless of what bike you're on. Pass your tests on school bikes (check you like motorbikes, as 'Arry says it's not a given!) then purchase one you like. I'd guess you're more than mature enough to ride even a sport 600 without splitting yourself, just remember the throttle is proportional not on / off!
I'd guess a wall of text will be along shortly, time on toddlers isn't time wasted etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A bit probably has a number after it which means provisional. Or something like that.
Yes. CBT, see if you like it, get a theory pass and book a course on full A. Then pass mods 1 and 2 and ride whatever you want.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was good about getting a CBT and buying a 125 was that, when after a year or so, I put in for the full license, I looked like an absolute genius compared to those who hadn't done any riding before. I'd been practising the MOD 1 manoeuvrers but with tighter cones and bays for the u-turn, etc. etc. for months. The DAS people looked like shit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT + 125 is low risk financially. Going for a full A licence cold = more training. On top of that if you've spent >3 months on 125 you at least know that you can ride a motorbike and a >650cc bike won't be so intimidating.

kgt68
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:13 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice folks. CBT booked for mid Aug. I've scaled back on going square eyed looking for bikes till Ive actualy ridden one Laughing

I look forward to following stories on here and getting some tips and inspiration.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bears input. Direct access, full licence and get a decent sized bike and not a 125. The only 125 I have ridden that didn't frighten me with how crap it was, was a Varadero and they are lke rockinghorse poo.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 50, did my CBT last year couldn't decide what to do 125 or DAS then life got in the way and lockdown happened. Anyway gave me time to think and I thought I'd treat myself to my DAS for my 50th. Started training last week and after a four hour session I can say that I'm my opinion big bikes inspire so much more confidence and are much easier to ride than a 125.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
...big bikes inspire so much more confidence and are much easier to ride than a 125.

Yep, this is true. Little bikes are generally less stable and flightier. Plus you need better throttle/clutch control for hillstarts, they're more sensitive to being in the right gear, more sensitive to your body position etc. I actually like that as a non-learner, because they're more challenging/fun to ride.

The flipside is that little bikes are easier to catch with your leg if you screw up a u-turn, and the lack of power means you're less likely to end up in a hedge if you get a bit overenthusiastic with the throttle.

Overall though, you're right. I think if you can trust your self-control (i.e. your throttle hand), you're better off learning with a bigger bike. Sadly the licensing authorities feel differently.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Yes you need to do it all.

I'd go straight to big boy licence. You'll find a 125 tedious and you are old enough you probably have enough sense to go and buy an early GSXR thou or R1 as a first bike.

Fixed that statement. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1