Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake seal suppliers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Brake seal suppliers Reply with quote

I could use a list of quality brake seal suppliers. Originals are extremely expensive, £150 for the set. I have found pattern oil seals ok, it is the dust seals that are rubbish quality and fall apart. Originals survived 18 years and many rebuilds cleaned and reused with no damage.

The caliper joint seals I recieved today were rubbish, appear to be cut from sheet, too thin and wrong size, they are being returned. My original oil seals are reusuable, but Id prefer to replace the whole set.

There are two extremely cheap sellers on ebay, 7 quid and 9 quid per calliper, which I will avoid.

Wemoto sell their own brand TRK, £32.

Powerhouse on ebay sell BrakeMasters www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-F4-front-brake-caliper-seal-rebuild-repair-kit-2002-2003-2004/162902226111

Huntersmotorcycles /m&p appear to sell an AllBalls kit. Ive had bad experience with all balls fork seals and wheel bearing dust seals, so I will avoid.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-F-Front-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Seals-Repair-Kit-x-2-2001-to-2007/192402067745

BikeBreaksUk www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-F4-X-Y-1-2-3-front-brake-caliper-seal-kit-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003/223952210404
Ive previously used this kit, the dust seals fell apart after a year of use when the pistons were pumped out. Not good.

Any others? What does bcf recommend? I will be buying two sets/4 calipers so I have the spares ready to go on next year.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used PowerHouse several times. They have been fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:43 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some utterly shit rubber products available online , and I suspect in shops. I had some fork gaiters for a bike I was doing up which perished away before I even finished doing the bike up! I know nothing of rubber production , but I've heard of extenders and other chemicals added to give the rubber certain qualities, these are certainly lacking in some items sold on a popular auction site. I eventually bought some 'ariete'? fork leg rubbers 3 times the price but made in Europe. fantastic.

While we are at it ... Scam ad's on Fuckbase for a company called 'warmday' , stainless cable ties yes , but not a scheap as plastic ones.... 1.5 stars on trustpilot.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Brake seal suppliers Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Huntersmotorcycles /m&p appear to sell an AllBalls kit. Ive had bad experience with all balls fork seals and wheel bearing dust seals, so I will avoid.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-F-Front-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Seals-Repair-Kit-x-2-2001-to-2007/192402067745

Yeah I've had bad experiences with 'Allballs' , not a manufacturer, they repackage other peoples items and sell under the 'Allballs ' brand like you say fork seals, extremely poor quality.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Brake seal suppliers Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
I've had bad experiences with 'Allballs' , not a manufacturer, they repackage other peoples items and sell under the 'Allballs ' brand like you say fork seals, extremely poor quality.

Like oil seals, these will be some standard off the shelf hydraulic rod seal that you can get anywhere, but without knowing the dimensions/type it's probably easier to just buy a kit.
kramdra This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffs seals are always single use. How often are you stripping your calipers to feel that you need to buy seals regularly?

In the 4 years Ive had my triumph I've only replaced seals on 2 pistons on one side 9f one calliper.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No seals are not. If there is no visible damage they can be cleaned with brake fluid and reused, no solvents! It does take some time.

I strip calipers every time that the pistons are pushed back in for new pads - else the seals will get torn.

My original seals had been reused many, many times. I got spare calipers to minimise downtime, to have them ready in advance. Needed new seals due to previous owners abuse. After one winter, the pattern dust seal lips were shit.

Unfortunatley when I last stripped them, I cleaned the original seals, boxed them up ready to fit but they have been lost in the shed.

[/b]
Nobby the Bastard This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seriously suggesting it's considered normal to pull the pistons out and then bleed the brakes every time you replace the pads?

Everyone I know just cleans the worst off the pistons in situ and then just pushes them back in.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting it's considered normal to pull the pistons out and then bleed the brakes every time you replace the pads?

Everyone I know just cleans the worst off the pistons in situ and then just pushes them back in.

I've literally never done any more than this Neutral

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:24 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now you are reduced to inappropriate karma?

You do know how that game goes so badly, dont you?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not inappropriate, you are being abusive.

Cleaning pistons in situ leaves plenty of dirt to be pushed back behind the seals. Each time the piston moves, it will abrade. I like cleanlyness in my brakes. I dont expect others to do it, but I consider it worthwhile.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:41 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
It is not inappropriate, you are being abusive.

Cleaning pistons in situ leaves plenty of dirt to be pushed back behind the seals. Each time the piston moves, it will abrade. I like cleanlyness in my brakes. I dont expect others to do it, but I consider it worthwhile.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ffs seals are always single use. How often are you stripping your calipers to feel that you need to buy seals regularly?

In the 4 years Ive had my triumph I've only replaced seals on 2 pistons on one side 9f one calliper.

Explain exactly what I said that was offensive or abusive.

Regarding the brake dust, what do you think the dust seal is for? It's so the crap doesn't get inside and abrade the oil seal and piston.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I ignored Fisty's post as he is a massive dick, likely chosing the most expensive from the list without ever using them.

Wemoto ignored my request to list my bike seals on ebay, tho they have others. Their parts are not often great quality.

So I did go with the cheapest. With a multi-buy discount for other items it works out 5 quid per caliper. I am impressed. The dust seals all good (which are what I needed). One oil seal has a defect on the ID, and Ive asked for a replacement. I expect to buy more from them. At that price they can be single use.

Lump on ID:
https://i.postimg.cc/RVgKDxfH/IMG-20200806-171219.jpg

Each to their own. Having rebuilt more callipers than you’ve had wanks. I can safely say OE and powerhouse are the best. But continue to be an ignorant prick and you will be treated like one.

I give advice based on my experience and knowledge. Not random guesswork like yourself.

Believe it or not if you ask a genuine question and I can help. I will give an answer.
You asked a question and didn’t like the reply.

You are indeed mental.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt my 6 pots with a powerhouse set in 2018, longest the shit things have gone between rebuilds so I'd rate them and will use them again.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:04 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
No seals are not. If there is no visible damage they can be cleaned with brake fluid and reused, no solvents! It does take some time.

They can be reused if necessary but fitting new seals is half the reason for stripping calipers anyway. Reused seals are not going to fit or seal quite as perfectly as new ones will.

kramdra wrote:
I strip calipers every time that the pistons are pushed back in for new pads - else the seals will get torn.

Needing to strip calipers every time the pistons are pushed back in for new pads to prevent the seals tearing sounds very much like the calipers would benefit from having a new set of seals fitted.

kramdra wrote:
My original seals had been reused many, many times. I got spare calipers to minimise downtime, to have them ready in advance. Needed new seals due to previous owners abuse. After one winter, the pattern dust seal lips were shit.

If you stop taking the calipers apart then you won't need to choose between reusing or replacing the seals. And don't reuse brake seals.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripping and cleaning occasionally gives better brake feel, smoother bite, less pressure required. With my high milage, pads last about 2 years, for a normal bike that might be 4-6 years between pads. My last rear pads lasted 6 years. It is reallly not much time or extra effort.

When I got the bike at 28k miles the calipers had somehow been through many pads and been pushed in a lot. They were rubbish, feeling either off or fully on, nothing between. Occasional servicing will prevent that.

Anyway, I have no problem doing it. I have found a decent, cheap supplier of brake seals that are good. They have sent out a new seal for the damaged one, I will order a spare set for the other calipers.

I recommend them. Buy a spare set Thumbs Up
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Brake-Caliper-Seals-Set-Honda-CBR-600-FX-F3-99-04/192795397871

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:21 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in your head. Because you a mental. It has no effect at all when using the brake.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I rebuilt my 6 pots with a powerhouse set in 2018, longest the shit things have gone between rebuilds so I'd rate them and will use them again.

Oh so this, I tried several different makes on the 6 pots. The Powerhouse ones were by far the best and are still going strong after being donated to my mates bike 2 years on.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Calipers and tyres? Reply with quote

Having siezed up calipers is all in my head? Right. Feel free to continue being a nob.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the calipers benefit from being taken apart when you change the pads is because they've been taken apart and put back together without new seals.

It shouldn't be necessary to be taking them apart for pushing the pistons back in.

If you stop taking them apart and reusing the seals then you won't have any need to take them apart when changing the pads every couple of years to get better brake feel, smoother bite, less pressure required.

There's no damage on the pistons?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:41 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just replaced seals in on side of one of my calipers because they were slightly sticky and so wear was a little uneven. Nothing has shown up on the rolling road for the annual mot.

It has made no difference to the feel. Aside from the obvious new pads need bedding in. That took about 2 miles of gently caressing the brake whilst riding it.i bet that's the improvement you are feeling.

Thats the second set of pads in 30k usage that I've done. Only a mentalist rebuilds the calipers when replacing pads unless the calliper is seized or starting to seize.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Tokico 6 pots then, famous for siezing and spitting the dust seal down the side of the piston. I have seen the that happen when pistons are repeatedly pushed in. And years of corrosion is nit removed. Yes one, possibly two sets of pads but that is pushing your luck with a normal uncoated caliper which will corrode in the grooves.

Ste wrote:
There's no damage on the pistons?

Only minor on the pad face, the pistons are ceramic coated aluminium and the calipers are hard anodised inside, so no rust or corrosion and they should last forever. The spare set were abused by previous owner and have a couple marks but nothing that makes them unusable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1