Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KSR GRS 125 (2016) Drinks oil and speedometer stopped. :D

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

siedlikmaster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:49 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: KSR GRS 125 (2016) Drinks oil and speedometer stopped. :D Reply with quote

Hi,

Changed the oil about 10 months ago, last week I checked and the oil was almost gone. So I have filled it up to the max and today it was on low.
Bike did 12k miles.
What could be the issue ?
Is it time for new piston rings or valves ?

Also

How should I check if the speedo sensor is faulty or maybe a dashboard ?

Thanks.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 02:25 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you did 12k miles without an oil change? On a bike where the oil change interval is 1-2k miles.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:51 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: KSR GRS 125 (2016) Drinks oil and speedometer stopped. : Reply with quote

siedlikmaster wrote:
Changed the oil about 10 months ago, last week I checked and the oil was almost gone.

At least you checked before it was all gone. Most people, no - check that, some people check the oil more frequently than once in 10 months.

siedlikmaster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Are you saying you did 12k miles without an oil change? On a bike where the oil change interval is 1-2k miles.

Bike did 12k, after oil change I did about 2,5k.

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be piston rings, or more commonly, valve stem seals.

See if you can get a look at your valves, both intake and exhaust. Shouldn't need too much disassembly. If there's any oil sitting on top of them then you'll have your answer.

Also make sure there's no leaks from the engine itself, oil deposits on the crank case somewhere will be a dead giveaway. There may be no puddle in the garage, but you might be dealing with a blown seal that only leaks when the engine is running.

Also consider changing your oil more often Very Happy Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your air box. If it has oil puddling in it, that suggests excessive crankcase pressure, likely caused by blowby past the piston rings.

siedlikmaster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:20 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:
It could be piston rings, or more commonly, valve stem seals.

See if you can get a look at your valves, both intake and exhaust. Shouldn't need too much disassembly. If there's any oil sitting on top of them then you'll have your answer.

Also make sure there's no leaks from the engine itself, oil deposits on the crank case somewhere will be a dead giveaway. There may be no puddle in the garage, but you might be dealing with a blown seal that only leaks when the engine is running.

Also consider changing your oil more often Very Happy Thumbs Up

I think I will just get new bike, Honda cb125r and fix the engine on old one in spare time. Hopefully will get full licence by the end of the year.

Also best place to get parts ? I have asked the manufacture, but they said £40 for just piston rings. I think they are 50mm piston rings, will have to check when I will remove and open the engine Very Happy

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a minute.

This is a 125, with an oil capacity of about 1 litre. It sounds like the oil level has gone from the top of the dipstick to the bottom in 2.5k miles. That is about 300-500ml of oil. The dipstick doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the sump, there is more oil below it.

Burning 500ml of oil in 2500 miles is likely within spec. Just check your oil level more frequently. If it was seriously burning oil then you would be losing that much oil in 250 miles, and have lots of smoke out of the exhaust.

For the speedo problem, a very quick google suggests that it has an electronic speedo and rev counter. I'm assuming that the rev counter and instrument lights are still working.
First step is to make sure sure all the cables are still plugged in, check the fuses in case one of them has blown, and clean up around the speedo sensor. If it still isn't working, learn how to use a multimeter and test the speedo sensor by spinning the wheel with a meter on its output cable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1