Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone mount/apps/sensors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Aug 2020    Post subject: Phone mount/apps/sensors Reply with quote

I use strava on phone in my bag. Im looking for a decent waterproof mount that will fit a 7" screen. Ones in shops are all a bit small, what to get?

I bought a bluetooth cadence/speed sensor from aldi some time ago, I never got it to work with, wahoo or strava, which now does not suport sensors, so I need a new app or sensor. What to get?

I want a visible cadence while cycling as mine is usually far too low. Could also use a footpod /heart rate for running.

Watches dont seem that great, Suunto still have software problems?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your phone somewhere safe and use a device built for the job. Waterproof, robust, significantly cheaper if lost or damaged etc. I use a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt with cadence and HRM - you can configure the screen to show you all sorts of data, plus it runs independent of a phone, although linking to a phone adds extra functionality.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also second getting something dedicated to the job. It'll just work better.

I commuted for ages with a Garmin Forerunner 235 watch, simply as it was simpler than mucking around daily with my Edge (I didn't have a wifi unit, so had to plug it in to upload rides, it didn't sync to sensors etc) and I could also use it for running and heart rate.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250 for the element bolt/sensor bundle. The sensors are under 100 and should work on the phone with wahoo app, and bolt wont be any good for running.

I take my phone everywhere. I dont want to take an additional bike computer and I dont think leaving it attached to bike, locked in a public place is a good idea.

I am considering a watch, probably Suunto 7/9 but previous models got rubbish reviews for software side.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, just checked prices on the Forerunner 235 and I'm sure I didn't pay that much a few years ago.

Have you checked reviews and comparisons on DC Rainmaker? He's one of the main resources that I trust (he always sends back test kit and buys it separately if he likes it)

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
£250 for the element bolt/sensor bundle. The sensors are under 100 and should work on the phone with wahoo app, and bolt wont be any good for running.

Sensors should work directly with the Wahoo app, yes (I have used my HRM and the Wahoo app to record motorcycle rides). Bolt is no good for running, no, but then you can just use your phone and HRM.

kramdra wrote:
I take my phone everywhere. I dont want to take an additional bike computer and I dont think leaving it attached to bike, locked in a public place is a good idea.

Me too, but when cycling I put the phone in a safe place rather than hanging a device that costs more than most of my bikes out in a place where it is likely to get damaged. Also the Bolt (and other similar devices) have far longer battery times than a phone running a screen all the time, and by saving your phone battery you are also saving the option for emergency or back-up navigation or phone calls should the worst happen. These devices come off your bike in 1 second, so no need to leave them on a locked bike anywhere.

kramdra wrote:
I am considering a watch, probably Suunto 7/9 but previous models got rubbish reviews for software side.

I have no experience of using a watch - there are reports that their native HR measurement is not as accurate as a chest strap, plus I hate wearing a watch when cycling.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent phone costs a bit less than the bolt, and I have several old phones that are more than adequate for the purpose, if I wanted a dedicated device, I dont.

I did get the wahoo app to connect on my BT sensors. I think stronger magnets are needed as they are quite a distance. Ill give another try.

My point is I dont want to carry an extra device. If it had a proper, solid bolted mount and a cover then maybe it could be left.

If I get a watch for running it would be with a foot pod and HR strap. Possibly a wahoo tickr-x but its expensive and sold out. Cheaper HR and Stryde.

I got this mount from decathlon, I dont trust it too much, feels flimsy, so I will use 2mm climbing cord as a tether around the velcro. It is also annoyingly easy to remove so Id have to unclip and carry that with me too. I may modify it, make a decent mount from delrin.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0KsBXRm/IMG-20200811-152724.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1