Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Generic Clutch Cables?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

The clutch cable snapped on my bike today. Being a Hyosung I can't easily find parts in Spain, but I examined what I do have, and it appears I don't need anything particularly fancy - just a cable with a nib at one end to fit in the lever, and thats it. I have the assembly to tighten it around a simple cable at the other end. Will a generic cable work and are there any good brands? Thanks.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
The clutch cable snapped on my bike today. Being a Hyosung I can't easily find parts in Spain, but I examined what I do have, and it appears I don't need anything particularly fancy - just a cable with a nib at one end to fit in the lever, and thats it. I have the assembly to tighten it around a simple cable at the other end. Will a generic cable work and are there any good brands? Thanks.

Haven't Korean bikes made it to the eu? What is a "nib, by the way? If it's a single cable, I should think that many things would do; I don't know of any "generic" brand that's any better or worse than anything else.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Haven't Korean bikes made it to the eu? What is a "nib, by the way? If it's a single cable, I should think that many things would do; I don't know of any "generic" brand that's any better or worse than anything else.

I have no idea what a nib is - but like... the lumpy bit at the end of the wire that goes into the lever.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
I have no idea what a nib is - but like... the lumpy bit at the end of the wire that goes into the lever.

That is a nipple. Once I wanted to make up some cables, and shocked a girl in a barbers/bicycle shop: "Have you got brass nipples?", she did not know what they are, it had to be explained. So, anyway, if you can get a cable with the same nipple at one end as the one you have, and use whatever it is at the other end (what is it?) then you should be OK. It might even be possible to re-use the outer cable you have with a new inner cable, if the outer's OK and the replacement inner is about the same dameter as the existing one. Bicycle shops tend to have "universal" brake cables at what to you is probably a couple of eurghros. There's an opportunity! Go for it! Smile

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:44 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

That is a nipple. Once I wanted to make up some cables, and shocked a girl in a barbers/bicycle shop: "Have you got brass nipples?", she did not know what they are, it had to be explained. So, anyway, if you can get a cable with the same nipple at one end as the one you have, and use whatever it is at the other end (what is it?) then you should be OK. It might even be possible to re-use the outer cable you have with a new inner cable, if the outer's OK and the replacement inner is about the same dameter as the existing one. Bicycle shops tend to have "universal" brake cables at what to you is probably a couple of eurghros. There's an opportunity! Go for it! Smile

Yeah I just ripped out the inner cable so that I could take it to a shop and get one of a matching diameter with a matching nipple size. The inside of the outer cables are actually pretty nasty, some dry white powder (old dried lubricant of some sort i suppose) and a bit of rust. But, I think they should be fine at very least as a temporary fix. I'm going to do that. You think a bicycle brake cable would be strong enough to be a clutch cable? I guess bicycle brake cables probably have to take a huge amout of force...

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that a bicycle brake cable would make a suitable substitute for your clutch cable. The bike cable may be able to withstand the strain of clutch application, but the duty cycle is much more demanding on the moto.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
a barbers/bicycle shop

Typo or Hipster paradise? Laughing

jeffyjeff wrote:
I do not think that a bicycle brake cable would make a suitable substitute for your clutch cable. The bike cable may be able to withstand the strain of clutch application, but the duty cycle is much more demanding on the moto.

I agree with this. I've had cheap clutch cables snap on me, a lighter thinner push bike cable..... well if you try I'd buy 5 and route them all next to each other so as they snap you can just hook up the ends of the next one.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, Bowden cable is Bowden cable, and if the sizes match, it's good. I wouldn't put something off a car handbrake on a clutch, or a gear change cable off a bicycle, or a push-pull cable, it's a matter of matching the sizes of the things.

Are multi-strand Bowden cables made of different stuff for bicycles/motorbikes/whatever? I've never noticed a difference. The nipples, yes. Don't get me started on those moulded-on white metal nipples or "solderless" ones, grr!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
a barbers/bicycle shop

Typo or Hipster paradise? Laughing

A long time ago, before "Hipsters".

wr6133 wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:

I agree with this. I've had cheap clutch cables snap on me, a lighter thinner push bike cable..... well if you try I'd buy 5 and route them all next to each other so as they snap you can just hook up the ends of the next one.

Hence the remark about them being approximately the same sizes. I wuld not use a thing gear cable, for instance, even on a clutch. Something the same diameter, I would, it's just cable. Do you think the multi-strand inner cable's made of a different material in either application, or is it indeed just the diameter (again, avoiding diversions like solid inners, push-pull cables...)?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Hence the remark about them being approximately the same sizes

I'll be honest I didn't think push bike cables came the same thickness as clutch cables. All the cables on both the pedal bikes I have are very skinny.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'll be honest I didn't think push bike cables came the same thickness as clutch cables. All the cables on both the pedal bikes I have are very skinny.

There are various possibilities. Sidewheel posted about Venhill a while ago, here are some cables:

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and-components/fittings-amp-components/inner-wire.html

2mm bicycle brake cable used to be available, and still is, but a quick search shows the standard seems to be 1.6mm. Edit: That's a bit of a bgger.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to get cables that you cut to size and had screw clamp nipples. They were popular with the custom bike fraternity.

This sort of thing.....

https://www.racing-planet.co.uk/clutch-cable-universal-p-172807-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google_merchant&utm_campaign=google_products&gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMZ0A1RMTxKYiuiWC4l_qRJHQN2ptjhx-wRRmnH2cTvQz4y_WD5I0mhoCWpEQAvD_BwE#.XzOr4zV7nIU

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I / We use this one Keep one in stock to get customers going !

https://mike.larsson.uk.com/en/category/10211010400/article/301076/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Generic Clutch Cables? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
The clutch cable snapped on my bike today. Being a Hyosung I can't easily find parts in Spain...

Is there a particular problem with getting parts in Spain?

I have had problems with pattern parts in the past. Clutch and speedo
cables that were of low quality, poor fit and often much too long.

When the clutch cable on my Bandit snapped last year, I decided to
take a chance on a Wemoto own-brand "Slinky Glide" clutch cable.
The quality seems very good. The cable was manufactured in the EU
and not in China is I had expected. Length was exactly the same as the
original part. £10 for the Wemoto cable vs £30+ for the genuine Suzuki
part. One year on, it is still in good condition.

Wemoto do a clutch cable for the Hyosung at around £12. They also
have choke, speedo and throttle cables, if your bike is old enough
to need them.

Quote:
just a cable with a nib at one end to fit in the lever

I used to make my own cables when I had a Russian bike
back in the 1970s. It doesn't make much sense now when
you can buy a good quality replacement for a few $/£/€.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:03 - 13 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I dropped into the nearest bike garage (which had a LOT of nazi memorabilia dotted around) and they had a cable the same thickness and same nipple size as my previous one. Rode 100km today on it no problems (although fitting and adjusting was a pig of a job)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1