Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM 150 EXC or 250 EXC A2 Licence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

lll
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:07 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: KTM 150 EXC or 250 EXC A2 Licence Reply with quote

Read a bit about KTM 250 EXC insurance, I don't really care about riding "illegally" but will i be able to get insurance on the bike without hassle? And if not is they a way I can restrict the bike but have it in a place where I can easily take the restriction out and put it back in if i was pulled over? Like i could just take the seat off and plug in the restriction etc?

Which ever bike I chose would be a newer 2020/21 model. A 250 EXC from what I've seen is around 38KW (36KW is max on A2, but will go down over time riding) and will be about 113kg including fuel, so it puts it way over the ridiculous power/wight limit

Is the KTM 150 EXC legal on a A2 licence too? couldn't find anything about the specs of the bike to see if it is allowed, I imagine it would be because you can ride a 125 EXC on a A2 right?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: KTM 150 EXC or 250 EXC A2 Licence Reply with quote

lll wrote:
I don't really care about riding "illegally" but will i be able to get insurance on the bike without hassle? And if not is they a way I can restrict the bike but have it in a place where I can easily take the restriction out and put it back in if i was pulled over? Like i could just take the seat off and plug in the restriction etc?

Are you the new ambassador to the Government for the people who ride motorbikes ?
It’s idiots like you that give bikers a bad name and encourage the police to watch us closely and you give them reasons to stop us in the first place.
Personally, I hope you never get insurance which would be void anyway after you modified your bike to ride illegally and not in accordance with you license.

Why don’t you save up your pocket money and get a full license, then you can ride big boy bikes with lots of POWAR!!!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:04 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy to ride illegally, do that and most of your questions are irrelevant. Hopefully you'll get caught and we'll have one less moron giving bikers a bad name.

Alternatively, this may or may not be helpful. https://a2bikes.co.uk/ They don't mention the little KTMs, but it's worth noting that I think small capacity bikes generally take restriction quite badly.

lll
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
If you're happy to ride illegally, do that and most of your questions are irrelevant. Hopefully you'll get caught and we'll have one less moron giving bikers a bad name.

Alternatively, this may or may not be helpful. https://a2bikes.co.uk/ They don't mention the little KTMs, but it's worth noting that I think small capacity bikes generally take restriction quite badly.

Maybe I should have worded it a bit better, I don't really mind riding "illegally" in the aspect of it being over the power/weight ratio and unrestricted. Last choice but I would rather not risk losing my bike because I don't have insurance/plates etc, I understand that can still happen even with it insured because of the restriction & power/weight ratio if it was put on dyno, It's just less likely. And or if I could find a way to restrict it easy to the point I could put restriction back on if i was pulled.

Checked A2 bikes couldn't find shit apart from the 450 EXC's
lll This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
lll This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lll wrote:
And or if I could find a way to restrict it easy to the point I could put restriction back on if i was pulled.

From here - https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/a2-motorcycle-licence-indepth-guide/

Restrictor kits are unique to each motorcycle but the main types are;
*Throttle stop – Limits the maximum opening of the throttle
*Inlet reducer – Limits airflow to the engine
*Exhaust reducer – Usually a washer or restrictor pipe in the exhaust neck
*ECU restrictor – Manages power output via the engine ECU unit

Only the ECU one you could conceivably do without tools at the side of the road (depending on where it is etc.), and you're going to look pretty shifty swapping it while a copper is getting out of the car and walking over to you.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, but I don't think you'll have it long enough to care about the restriction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding a bike that is too powerful or over the power:weight ratio mean you are riding a bike you have no licence for.

When quoting for insurance you are likely to be asked something along the lines of what type of licence you hold and for how long. If you plan on lying about your licence then you are committing insurance fraud. If you subsequently have an accident and it comes out that you don't have the right licence then you are likely to see your policy cancelled, with possibly expensive and long-lasting ramifications.

lll
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:45 - 19 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
lll wrote:
And or if I could find a way to restrict it easy to the point I could put restriction back on if i was pulled.

From here - https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/a2-motorcycle-licence-indepth-guide/

Restrictor kits are unique to each motorcycle but the main types are;
*Throttle stop – Limits the maximum opening of the throttle
*Inlet reducer – Limits airflow to the engine
*Exhaust reducer – Usually a washer or restrictor pipe in the exhaust neck
*ECU restrictor – Manages power output via the engine ECU unit

Only the ECU one you could conceivably do without tools at the side of the road (depending on where it is etc.), and you're going to look pretty shifty swapping it while a copper is getting out of the car and walking over to you.

Think this is what I needed, thanks
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1