Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

some rookie touring questions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:47)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: some rookie touring questions... Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm planning a little touring/camping trip with the girlfriend, and I'm asking for some opinions on kit....

We're going to tour Corsica (not very far especially cos we're starting from near Nice anyway) and hopefully keep it cheap by camping as we go. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to get all the camping stuff on the bike. I'm on a very tight budget, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend some dirt cheap saddle bags, or maybe someone knows of a good cheap tent thats really small when its packed away? I'm also wondering what the hell to do with all the stuff when we're off the bike... so what do you experienced tourers do?

any touring tips or tricks would be appreciated.

thanks,
james

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done lots of touring but looked in to it for the future.

. Keep center of gravity low.
. New sprockets chain tyres if anything but almost new.
. Zip ties, spark plugs, spare cables.
. Hard luggage if your loaded, soft luggage for everyone else.

https://www.flamesonmytank.co.za/

Lots more but can't think of it at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done lots of touring but looked in to it for the future.

. Keep center of gravity low.
. New sprockets chain tyres if anything but almost new.
. Zip ties, spark plugs, spare cables.
. Hard luggage if your loaded, soft luggage for everyone else.

https://www.flamesonmytank.co.za/

Lots more but can't think of it at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:25 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We bought some Oxford panniers. Not that expensive and do the job OK.

For leaving stuff around try getting some PacSafe nets (think that is the name). Basically a steel wire net which you wrap around your stuff then lock to something solid.

All the best

Keith

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:02 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be needing new C+S if you're just touring around Corsica (assuming you're getting a ferry from Nice area). Just as long as they aren't knackered.

I pack my valuables and some heavier things in the tankbag. The idea being I can easily whip it off and sling over my shoulder with a strap when going inside somewhere.

A cheap alarm is quite handy for leaving stuff temporarily on the bike while you pop inside somewhere.

My panniers usually stay on the bike, any fiddling with them would trigger the alarm. Following on from this it's best to park your bike where you can see it from where you're going to be.

Also try not to over-pack your tankbag, An expanded tankbag is literallly a pain in the neck.

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:29 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of price range are you looking at for the tent? Coleman tents are usually OK for a budget option - they did one called the Cobra which was dirt cheap (sub £90 I think) and packed away quite small. However, the inside was correspondingly small also, fitting 2 people at a bit of a push. At the higher end of the price range there are things like the Vaude Lightwing (used to be £220 ish) which is very light and packs down fairly small too. What times of year do you intend to use the tent in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice...

yeah, it's a pretty pathetic touring holiday Smile corsicas tiny and I'm living in antibes, so it'll take 15 mins to get to the ferry.... Embarassed

The idea to go to corsica for a long weekend just kind of evolved into a bike trip, so we don't wanna spend the whole time on the bike if you see what I mean, but if we have to lug all our stuff around it'll be a pain in the arse.

We're going in May, so it should be warm enough, a small tent and a blanket should be enough, so we could ditch the bulky sleeping bags. Also, the local sports place sells one man tents for like 25 euros, would be ok for a couple i reckon, and it'll also make it warmer and take up very little space.... so then i just need to get hold of some cheap soft panniers and we're sorted Thumbs Up

anyone been to corsica before? recommend any good places to stop off?

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how spread around Europe they are, but if you have a Decathalon store near you they often sell some very cheap tents. Sounds like a great trip, I'm very envious of you. I never have time to go anywhere more exotic than Scarborough Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 01 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offtopic but Keen is that the sublime 40oz to freedom album as your Avatar. Thats a quality album Cool

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but if you have a Decathalon store near you

ha yeah, thats the place I'm talking about Smile

and yeah it is the sublime album cover, have to admit though I like their self titled album more, but the covers not as cool Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1