Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to find a new puppy Woes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Where to find a new puppy Woes. Reply with quote

Hello,

My lab died in November from a sudden cluster seizure, the intention was we would wait until after going on holiday at Easter before getting a new pup.

Then someone decided to eat a bat and the world went mad. Rolling Eyes

My last dog came from pets4homes and I had zero problems, I've tried replying to adverts on there.

However after applying to perhaps 15, none of them are genuine. Sometimes the pictures, dates etc are wrong. I mostly reply to dogs listed in the area and say can I come and see. (Then I get no replies).

Many of the other adverts, the English is wrong, the wording is wrong, the pictures are not consistent.

So it seems Pet4homes is a scammers market place. I haven't had 1 genuine reply and I have received zero phone calls.

I've looked a GumTree and that pretty much looks the same, in fact some are the same adverts or borrowed pictures.

(I have done the reverse Google Image Search). It seems it is ridiculously easy to list a free advert for a dog.

On Thursday I had thought I had found a genuine seller, everything sounded okay. Said they were busy, but free on Sunday or Tuesday. Didn't want a deposit and asked for me to come and have a look. (And then the advert was banned) What anyone gets from making a false advert, not even asking for a deposit, I don't get it. Though I did once go to view a bike that didn't exist, in fact the house didn't exist.

So, I've not started to look on Champdogs, the breeder needs to pay substantially to post a listing, but again there isn't much choice.

Apart from visiting the local travelers Neutral site, has anyone an idea.

I'm ideally looking for another lab, a springer or a retriever preferably a bitch.

I'm in West Yorkshire.

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:15 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I don't like them, have you tried contacting breeders through the kennel club?

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Where to find a new puppy Woes. Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Hello,

My lab died in November from a sudden cluster seizure, the intention was we would wait until after going on holiday at Easter before getting a new pup.

Then someone decided to eat a bat and the world went mad. Rolling Eyes

My last dog came from pets4homes and I had zero problems, I've tried replying to adverts on there.

However after applying to perhaps 15, none of them are genuine. Sometimes the pictures, dates etc are wrong. I mostly reply to dogs listed in the area and say can I come and see. (Then I get no replies).

Many of the other adverts, the English is wrong, the wording is wrong, the pictures are not consistent.

So it seems Pet4homes is a scammers market place. I haven't had 1 genuine reply and I have received zero phone calls.

I've looked a GumTree and that pretty much looks the same, in fact some are the same adverts or borrowed pictures.

(I have done the reverse Google Image Search). It seems it is ridiculously easy to list a free advert for a dog.

On Thursday I had thought I had found a genuine seller, everything sounded okay. Said they were busy, but free on Sunday or Tuesday. Didn't want a deposit and asked for me to come and have a look. (And then the advert was banned) What anyone gets from making a false advert, not even asking for a deposit, I don't get it. Though I did once go to view a bike that didn't exist, in fact the house didn't exist.

So, I've not started to look on Champdogs, the breeder needs to pay substantially to post a listing, but again there isn't much choice.

Apart from visiting the local travelers Neutral site, has anyone an idea.

I'm ideally looking for another lab, a springer or a retriever preferably a bitch.

I'm in West Yorkshire.

Thanks

Been looking for months with similar results. I'm not in that much of a hurry that I want to put a grand and a half into some back-street puppy farmer's pocket so I'll patiently wait it out. The right dog will come along sooner or later.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Much as I don't like them, have you tried contacting breeders through the kennel club?

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx

+1 Thumbs Up
Worked out well for me when I was looking for a Border Collie, otherwise what about calling local dog training schools? My old trainer used to breed collies and springers, but she was quite exclusive - which was probably to be expected from someone on the UK's agility squad.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:30 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this space.

I'll either post a detailed reply myself or see if an experienced working Spaniel breeder and working dog trainer to reply.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dog person: "i have waiting lists for years" [working English springer spaniels]

me: oh yes I know you have waiting lists but internet BCF people love any useful advice, plus less buying puppies from dodgy sources that become damaged goods!

dog person: "Errrrrm, I know labrador breeders but he's going to have to wait. They have waiting lists. So he's going to be looking at 18 months to get a decent puppy.

Good, apply to police forces and puppy walk for them with a view to if the dog fails it's training having it back. He could apply to police forces and have retired dogs. He could apply to guide dogs and ask for a failed or retired dog if he's after a lab. Or he could just take any scruffy mutt out of rescue but god help him cos there's a lot of shit.

There's a horse fair in run by pikeys this weekend in northampton, go there and buy one for fifty quid that's probably been stolen! [errr wtf Shocked ]

Council licensed breeders so you could advise him to contact his council and ask for labrador breeders in the area. You could mention that he could look on the Kennel Club UK website for assured labrador breeders and go on their waiting lists."

Dog person = https://www.facebook.com/Wigglydog/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to a rehoming centre.

Anyone who buys a dog is as much a shit as the cvnts that sell them.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Tried that recently? I've applied to every one in a 30 mile radius that had a suitable dog for us to home and the only reply I got was one single automated one.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

First thing I did, they don't have any. I've even started to look at adopting a street dog from Greece.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Just go to a rehoming centre

Our local dogs trust wouldn't give us one. Despite showing that the Dog would actually spend no more than 3 hours alone at most twice a week we were told that my Wife should consider giving up work if we wanted a dog.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless if you get a dog from a sanctiary or from a breeder. The fact is you will make one dog happy in this big bad world. Romanian breeders need love too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:39 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone getting a puppy should read Ian Dunbars puppy book first and do what it recommends.

That is my number 1 piece of advice after 20 years of being a vet.

Even better, he has put his book online for free.

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit the last time I went to the RSPCA/Dogs Trust it was just about all Staffies which aren't really my cup of tea although they are perfectly good dogs temperment wise.

We have a few independant ones around our way that have less strict criteria about adoption, ie. will allow people who live on boats to adopt one of their dogs. The big boys won't.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a rescue dog after having Kennel Club approved dogs in the past. When you see how much people are charging these days it's silly.

What changed my mind about getting from a breeder was when I listened to a Chicken breeder for competition and sale, out of hundreds of eggs, chicks and chickens bred only a few were kept. Guess what happened to the others? Necks rung and in a bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:59 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

First thing I did, they don't have any. I've even started to look at adopting a street dog from Greece.

Don't. Or Eastern Europe. They invariably have weird diseases/parasites that are difficult to diagnose and expensive to treat.

I also have a strong suspicion a lot of overseas "rescue" dogs are being bred to order, it's become a business. You land up handing over a lot of money in return for your good deed.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:24 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the same token, my wife came across two rescue chihuahuas from bath cats and dogs whilst walking ours and ask me if we could have them.

I stupidly said yes without checking how much.

600 bastard quid they cost me....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
By the same token, my wife came across two rescue chihuahuas from bath cats and dogs whilst walking ours and ask me if we could have them.

I stupidly said yes without checking how much.

600 bastard quid they cost me....

How did they justify that? RSPCA is only about £100 for a dog which includes spaying or neutering.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 30 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Don't. Or Eastern Europe. They invariably have weird diseases/parasites that are difficult to diagnose and expensive to treat.

I also have a strong suspicion a lot of overseas "rescue" dogs are being bred to order, it's become a business. You land up handing over a lot of money in return for your good deed.

I hadn't considered this, I was in Zakynthos a couple of years back and our rep wasn't the usual 20 year old idiot. He was 60 plus a Brit, who lived on the Island grew his own olives and ran the local animal rescue. He arranged transport for the strays all over the world.

He informed me people would come from the mainland to work during the summer months and get a dog come October/November just abandon it and go home.

There was a lovely Lassie type dog, that came to the hotel, who was absolutely lovely, who quite kindly ate my fussy 9 year old's burger with strange cheese. (He refused to eat it because the cheese was white not orange, I'm a lifelong veggie, so lassie helped).

I have registered with the Kennel Club and I am also a paid up member of Champdogs. We will see what happens.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1