Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

24-year-old newbie - bike options?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: 24-year-old newbie - bike options? Reply with quote

As somebody who passed their one-and-only bike test back in the olden days, when all you had to do to earn the keys to a superbike was to ride a 250cc machine twice round the block, I've always been a bit confused by the plethora of regs which has come in since then. Not that I've been particularly interested, until now that is, because my son's decided he wants to be a biker.

Am I right in thinking that a 24-year-old newbie biker can take their CBT, then if they want, go straight to DAS and do a few days' supervised training on a 500cc machine, come away with an 'A' licence and immediately buy an 'A' bike which they can then take out for their first-ever unsupervised ride?

Not that I think he necessarily wants to do that, but I'm just trying to get my head around it...

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 20:19 - 01 Aug 2020; edited 2 times in total

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:07 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24 year old can go straight for their A licence and ride any motorcycle unrestricted. If he goes for A2 he will be restricted to 47bhp until he takes his A category test.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
A 24 year old can go straight for their A licence and ride any motorcycle unrestricted. If he goes for A2 he will be restricted to 47bhp until he takes his A category test.

Thanks. Yeah, see what I meant about my confusion over licences, regs etc? I've muddled "A" with "A2" in my post Rolling Eyes - now edited....

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

His age qualifies him for the "Category A" license. Once he's got that he can buy whatever he wants. Better to be restricted by choice than by license.

A training will probably be done on a 650 (Suzuki Gladius etc), but given the inexperience they'll probably use the C.B.T as a basis and then go from there. Not having experience on the road first will probably cost him, but who knows if that cost is less than what it would cost in fuel, gear, insurance, tax etc to reduce days of training. In a way having no experience will be better for the school since what they tell him will be able he'll ever know, and time wont be spent removing bad habits.

Probably best to get it across while doing the C.B.T that the intent is there to go for a full license, and that at the end of it he'd like to know how many days worth of training he'd need to be test ready.

I'd budget for four full days of riding as a basis, with tests added on. You could probably teach him the Mod 1 basics at a local supermarket car park or alike with a set of cones and tape to help him along.

EDIT: You could do the C.B.T with a school, and then ferry him to the test centre on your bike and let him use that... depends what you're comfortable with. Letting him do the tests on your bike wouldn't teach him much, though, and I doubt someone brand new would get through Module 2 without at least a day or two of full training.

Depends how fast he takes to it, or doesn't.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the school you can also do the CBT on a 'big' bike. But that said I came back to bikes after spending
a lot of time riding (illegally) when I was a youngster, so was no beginner. Thought I'd best just get on with it
and get my licence properly so booked a DAS course. I went through it in this order. Theory> CBT(on a 600 Fazer)> Mod1> Mod 2.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Depending on the school you can also do the CBT on a 'big' bike.

I think if he's never ridden a bike before he'd be best to "find his feet" on a 125; more likely to catch a would-be drop and any clumsy throttle inputs are less likely to have him sat on the floor with the bike cartwheeling away in front of him.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I think if he's never ridden a bike before he'd be best to "find his feet" on a 125; more likely to catch a would-be drop and any clumsy throttle inputs are less likely to have him sat on the floor with the bike cartwheeling away in front of him.

Having now spent a day doing his CBT etc, he's decided to go down the slow-and-steady 125 route, and having given it a lot of thought I reckon on balance, I subscribe to the Thunderguts school of thought too.

So. He's found a YBR he likes the look of and as I'm the only biker he knows, he wants me to go and have a shufti with him. Not great as I'm pretty bloody clueless when it comes to tyre-kicking; and he lives 2 hours away, too Rolling Eyes He's looking at a dealer which I suspect is probably marginally safer (but dearer, obvs) than a private sale.

Would be very grateful if anyone can spot any potential gotchas on this bike (missing mirror noted), or what we should be looking out for?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324272861765

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Would be very grateful if anyone can spot any potential gotchas on this bike (missing mirror noted), or what we should be looking out for?

Take some time to inspect that all elements of the clocks work as they should. That design is the more expensive to replace ones. eBay prices for a genuine used set look to be around £90 upwards; may be cheaper but as a generic price range. Not an item that generally needs work, but may shock him if ever does get damaged.

I'd say the exhaust has been painted from the top to just behind the silver cover, but could just be photo light. ACF-50 and expect general wear.

Chain looks like it will need replacing or some TLC from the get go (too far away pics to tell).

Engine bars are a bonus.

Take a look inside the fuel tank for rust, put it on the centre stand and inspect for wheel bearing play. Not a great deal you can't see by standing beisde it. Doesn't look to be any expensive horrors lying in wait based on the pictures.

Parts are plentiful and cheap. Definitely worse out there to invest that sum of money into.

Tyre condition and depth is probably the only other huge bill item I'd look at in terms of how much life they've got left.

In any case, for any bike purchased from anyone, I'd never expect it to be %100 ride ready from the get-go. I always end up working on it to some degree before the first ever ride.

Adjust the controls to his liking (clutch, gear shift lever height, rear brake pedal timing) and should be alright.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:50 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in good nick. I'm doubtful of the chain because, although it doesnt look slack, theres no signs of oil on the rear sprocket.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
In any case, for any bike purchased from anyone, I'd never expect it to be %100 ride ready from the get-go. I always end up working on it to some degree before the first ever ride.

Disagree, 5 year old bike from a dealer of some description. I'd expect that to be ready to ride and pretty well shaken down being a learner bike, but you are kinda right, bet its not.

I'd expect my bike to be ready to ride if you bought it, in fact it would be otherwise I wouldn't sell it.

It is covered in rust though, right up your alley. I wouldn't touch it personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the advice, all: really appreciated

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

The exhaust is obviously painted and they seem to be a common rust problem on these bikes, so make sure it's not done to hide rust.
Ignition switch getting worn/ damaged from rain is also very common. Turn it on/ off a few times while giving the key a wiggle, if it's broke it will spin the starter but not start.

Price is a tad steep, i sold my 2014 YBR for £850 a few months back, although that was a bit on the cheap side (still £300 more than I paid for it though Laughing ).

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:43 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Thanks a lot for the advice, all: really appreciated

I don't know where you are but there is this one on facebook/marketplace ...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/307995040511842/

DownHillMania...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

This!! This so much!! Don't start with a 250cc machine only because you can. It's way better to go step by step.

Jon-W
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: 24-year-old newbie - bike options? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As somebody who passed their one-and-only bike test back in the olden days, when all you had to do to earn the keys to a superbike was to ride a 250cc machine twice round the block, I've always been a bit confused by the plethora of regs which has come in since then. Not that I've been particularly interested, until now that is, because my son's decided he wants to be a biker.

Am I right in thinking that a 24-year-old newbie biker can take their CBT, then if they want, go straight to DAS and do a few days' supervised training on a 500cc machine, come away with an 'A' licence and immediately buy an 'A' bike which they can then take out for their first-ever unsupervised ride?

Not that I think he necessarily wants to do that, but I'm just trying to get my head around it...

Everyone has different opinions on here.. Incase you hadn't figured it out Smile. My opinion would be to go for something like a cbf600 f8. Reliable, affordable and not ridiculously powerful. Also very comfortable! Take that from someone who has owned a number of super sports, sports tourers, scramblers and retro style bikes!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1