Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The whole exam grades thing.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

stablepeach
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:00 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also aren't there quite a lot of intern schemes, apprenticeships etc. where A levels are the entry requirements and so a slip in grades will affect your ability to even apply?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Diggs wrote:

You are correct. A Levels grant a child access to the year of 'trials' that is the first year of a degree course. Friends of ours who happen to be university tutors say that kids learn nothing of any use in Year 1 of a degree. The purpose of year 1 is to separate those that can go on and learn from those that can't. Year 1 is all about survival and the break from apron-strings...

Not the case in veterinary medicine. The purpose of year one is to teach you an unimagineable amount of stuff that makes A-levels look like a walk in the park, ready for year 2 where they take it to the next level. And so-on.

Apologies. Courses must differ wildly!

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Am I right in thinking that 'A' levels are still only entry tickets to a higher education degree course..

No read up a few posts, my eldest got in to Uni, with a Btec level 3. His requirement were DDMM or BBB at A'level.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
kawakid wrote:

There is the factor that some kids might not have a laptop or tablet

Aye, I'll be paying a visit to the big fella' at PCX to get a SSD in one of ours, so my daughter has a fighting chance of being able to Zoom on it when she starts at Greenhead in a few days....

2nd Son is at Greenhead and they were shxt after the lock down, perhaps one 30 minute Spanish Zoom call every 2 weeks. Everything else was print a PDF. Also not impressed, they are going back to alternate weeks, again states schools not even trying.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 27 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Am I right in thinking that 'A' levels are still only entry tickets to a higher education degree course..

No read up a few posts, my eldest got in to Uni, with a Btec level 3. His requirement were DDMM or BBB at A'level.

My point was that once you're at Uni your A-level (or BTEC) grades don't matter, at Uni or in subsequent job applications.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 28 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your grades don't matter.

In fact when I went to Polytechnic (remember them), I did a HND.

Nobody cared about the grades, every interview question was on my sandwich year.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 31 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who says the teachers didn't try their best to get their pupils to have grades way above where they should be....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53846874

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they will.

High grades do not only benefit the students, they are good for the teachers as well.

Hats off to the BBC for the extremely high representation of BAME in that video clip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3