Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lapl or ppl and anyone here got one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Aug 2020    Post subject: Lapl or ppl and anyone here got one? Reply with quote

looking into getting my ppl or lapl just wondering if anyone here has one and if they're worth it?

These ears only carry me so far.

Just wanting to know, is the lapl ideal for someone who's just going to fly a handful of times a year round the UK or would the ppl be the better option and just redo sep every 2 years and have the ability to fly larger, more passengers and out of Europe.

Also any clue how lapl would work after this brexit shit is over.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NPPL (there was no LAPL when I got mine).

LAPL is perfect adequate for hobby flying, the I let reason to go PPL is if you think you may want to fly commercially later on, fly complex types or want to add things like multi engine and instrument ratings (wouldn't bother if flying for fun really). The currency requirements for keeping an LAPL valid are also easier and should it lapse it's easier to reactivate. It's also cheaper to obtain initially (potentially) as the minimum training requirements are lower.

Worth looking at microlights too, some very capable machines out there and can often work out a lot cheaper.

I imagine aviation will.rrmsin pretty harmonised post Brexit.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 10 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was put off a little by ppl with having to do an extra. 15h as well as sep every 2 years but I liked the idea of being able to fly multi engine planes but im going to be paying a good £3000 more for something i may not use all that often, taking rental fees into it to nip across to France itll be cheaper to book a 1st class commercial.

Will look into lapl, only have around 2.5h flying Time under my belt but long since expired, either way still a long way to go yet. Before I'm 30 I hope!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi engine stuff costs mega money even just for rental.

Honestly, it sounds like microlights would suit you well. Even that is expensive but can offer significant savings over traditional light aircraft and, to be honest, outside of aerobatics, I found it more fun. Modern machines offer plenty of range and performance for UK touring, or even to Europe of you wanted to. There are two types, three axis which is a conventional aircraft (see something like Ikarus C42) and flex wings, with the hang glider type wing (see Pegasus Quick).

If you want to have a look at what's available in the different categories have a look at https://www.afors.com

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:32 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my PPL about 15 years ago. It lapsed about 14 years ago.

I learnt to fly in Florida, where the skies are empty, everything is a bit more relaxed, and hobby flying is a thing. Flew a few times over here and it was a far less enjoyable experience. Everyone wants to pretend they're an airline pilot.

If I was doing it again I would be going for the easiest licence to get and flying whatever is cheapest. Microlight, maybe powered paraglider. Whatever would be a hobby I could afford to keep up. Flying is expensive.

If you want to take a bunch of passengers over to France or go multi engine then you need to spend more. The question is, do you really want to do that, or do you just want easy, fun, solo flying.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microlight is the cheapest option though downside being youll never rent one as people pool together and buy them as a group and split costs, lapl would be the cheapest good license to go for even though single engine rental is around £130/h

Rates vary but it seems around £4k-5k for lapl for a single engine though differs for learner abilities, biker is like a pilot so be fine.

Much research im pretty certain ill go for the lapl, I wont ever fly commercial.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some airfields that rent microlights and it's more common now that some.offer schemes where you buy in for a grand so, pay a monthly fee of around £100 then additional hours are around £50.

See here as an example https://www.microlightscotland.com/microlighthire.html

I did that for a while before I halved in with a mate on our own machine.

Stoo
PoshBoy

PostPosted: 13:08 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working towards my NPPL (M) and have part owned a microlight - ended up going that route as the running costs per hour were a fraction of PPL/LAPL aircraft.

Single seat deregulated (no licence required) you say? Laughing

https://www.airplayaircraft.co.uk/snake/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoo wrote:
I've been working towards my NPPL (M) and have part owned a microlight - ended up going that route as the running costs per hour were a fraction of PPL/LAPL aircraft.

Single seat deregulated (no licence required) you say? Laughing

https://www.airplayaircraft.co.uk/snake/

Only under 70kg though which, whilst fun and good for soaring, means even more limited weather windows. Plus I like to carry passengers. Still, I've considered it now that my licence had lapsed but the cost of them is high when you can get an older two seater for less than half the price.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this thread be in the Aviation Section?

Oh that's right, there isn't an aviation section on this Motorbike Forum. 🙄

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random section my dear child, sorry if I offended you but I thought id ask here rather than joining an aviation forum to be told a skyhawk is the best lapl plane going or get ppl and become a multi engine pro.

On the subject of skyhawk 172 I am a fan but the fuel economy is grim but more space than a 152.. be like flying my tt in a 152.

Pooleys finest documents are on their way to me for a handsome amount of denari Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel burn will be the least of your expenses.

Flying is expensive. It costs an arm and a leg just to stay current, even more to do it enough to get good at it and really enjoy it. It also steals your time, waiting for weather.

That sub-70kg one is rather tempting though.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:49 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a paraglider (unpowered) pilot. Besides the initial expense of about £2000 for the gear, it's the cheapest flying available. Although I do live in the Lake District so no shortage of hills to fly. Only problem is you rely on the weather to play. My dad has an unused powered hanglider lying around so I may do some training and try and get up in that at some point. GA never really appealed to me, seemed like too much hassle and expense.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1