Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the printing press blockade.

No Suns, Times,Telegraph or Yorkshire Post on my lads paper round this morning. He's worried that these wanxxrs will lose him his job.

No mater how much I hate the Daily Fail, silencing a free press...... WTF

Free press Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC News wrote:
Climate change: Tax frequent fliers, get rid of SUVs, government told

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54087176

Citizens' Assembly, don't like the sound of that Thinking

Quote:
However, radical green group Extinction Rebellion (XR) condemned the proposals...

Ah, now I'm interested Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do SUV's, as opposed to any other vehicle make pollution worse? Latest ones are hybrid or even totally electric.

My boat chucks out more crap than they do. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it harks to ppl buying things they don't need purely for status reasons. More and more people = more and more cars. The sensible thing would be to gently encourage ppl to get smaller cars and motorbikes.

As I've often said I admire the Japanese Kei cars concept: tax breaks for something more modest. It's not so much about the numbers (CO2 per miles) as starting a cultural trend.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

As I've often said I admire the Japanese Kei cars concept: tax breaks for something more modest. It's not so much about the numbers (CO2 per miles) as starting a cultural trend.

So do I, but that wasn't directly as a result of a climate change initiative at the outset, although I do concede that it is in effect one now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
How do SUV's, as opposed to any other vehicle make pollution worse? Latest ones are hybrid or even totally electric.

Weigh more = more wear to roads (think of this big picture not individual vehicles).

Bigger tyres = more resources used, how many 15" hatchback tyres can be made from 2 range rover tyres?

Most I see are Diesel and the MPG figures are crap.

Take up more space = more stuff torn up to make car parks.

Lets be honest most of the "SUV" type cunt-buses we see are being driven by some dopey cow who bought it because they think they need to show off to the other parents when dropping off their 1 kid. It's ridiculous, they use them like 1.0 litre hatchbacks....... they should just use 1.0l hatchbacks!

Some Japanese municipalities only let you own the amount of cars you can park on your driveway, I think this is a very good idea. Yes it penalises the poor and the urban but you know what.... fuck them, lifestyle choices, live with the consequences.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:07 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Citizens ass voted for motorway speeds to be lowered to 60mph

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
The Citizens ass voted for motorway speeds to be lowered to 60mph

Not saying I agree with everything. "No to nuclear" for example is a typical knee-jerk response made by people unable to comprehend "The Bigger Picture."

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Citizen's Assembly stuff seems to be mostly virtue-signalling, vague ideas about banning stuff. (Not enough banning to satisfy Extinction Rebellion's anti-everything policy though. Laughing) They don't have ideas on how to fill the resulting gaps. Ironically it's technological advancement fuelled by a thriving economy which brings solutions yet a lot of the suggestions impair that economy.

Their ideas about encouraging/educating others to stop what they're doing is interesting.
Quote:
Tracey, a mother from Northern Ireland, said: “I would be a frequent flier myself – so I would say there needs to be something there to stop us from taking so many flights – to reduce our emissions.”
Shocked
"For Gawd's sake won't someone stop me for the sake of the planet?!"
It's a common complaint. Surely if you really cared you'd... Ah, never mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that someone from the ER protests has been arrested for vandalising Churchill's Statue.

What Churchill has to do with climate change is a mystery to me.

Unless the screaming SUV driving jet setting fashion setting fast food eating energy crunching phone/app using XR masses are objecting to pollution from all the cigars he smoked.

Maybe they're trying to form a Woke Alliance with BLM, although I suspect the latter aren't too bothered about the environment.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good video to watch if you can cope with 10 minutes of Piers Morgan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olzym5auIiI

Sir David wrote an article about the dangers of climate change for the Sun, which no one read, because XR blocked off the media lol.

Worth seeing to get a look at the co-founder of XR. She could have saved on the coloured highlights, thus saving the environment. What a hypocrite!!!! Laughing Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Some Japanese municipalities only let you own the amount of cars you can park on your driveway, I think this is a very good idea. Yes it penalises the poor and the urban but you know what.... fuck them, lifestyle choices, live with the consequences.

I'd go with that but then I can fit 3 cars on my drive plus bikes in the garage. Obviously it will never happen. London makes the rules etc.

Even getting shot of yummy mummy mobiles isn't going to turn the earth into a green and pleasant land again. Yes, they are overkill but then I have (including wifies) 3 cars. 3 bikes and a dirty polluting boat.

Sadly I'm as guilty as the next person of 'I'm alright Jack, Someone else's problem'.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video I posted with the XR co-founder was useful education for me.

I get the impression the motif of XR is "Government is bad, all Governments fault, Government should be forcing us all to ride horses and put on sack cloth etc etc.."

The problem as I see it is that, whilst I can understand Developed Countries should take the lead in this, our Carbon footprint has stayed roughly constant over the last thirty years (Energy saving measures offset by increased use of appliances, phones, etc.)

But in DC's like China, India, etc. pollution is rampant and rising.

XR are powerless on this as it just isn't woke to tell DC's what to do.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
That video I posted with the XR co-founder was useful education for me.

I get the impression the motif of XR is "Government is bad, all Governments fault, Government should be forcing us all to ride horses and put on sack cloth etc etc.."

The problem as I see it is that, whilst I can understand Developed Countries should take the lead in this, our Carbon footprint has stayed roughly constant over the last thirty years (Energy saving measures offset by increased use of appliances, phones, etc.)

But in DC's like China, India, etc. pollution is rampant and rising.

XR are powerless on this as it just isn't woke to tell DC's what to do.

And she says all this safe and cosy in her London pad with radiators powered by gas central central heating enjoying mod-cons like a fridge and a means of broadcasting to the world, eg laptop, router et al. Not one sniff of hypocrisy because cyclist, of course fully believing that her bicycle isn't made from raw materials sourced from, and components assembled in, a country half way across the world that got here on a huge container ship pumping out diesel fumes.

And the fashion world is evil because it uses up raw materials etc etc:
Fashion culture now would benefit from studying the ‘make do and mend’ attitude of the second world war, says Extinction Rebellion co-founder Clare Farrell

Yet her OWN fashion line is 'sustainable' so all good, right?
https://www.cadencemag.co.uk/interview-clare-farrell-no-such-thing-clothing/

And only available to wxmen? How very inclusive....

Hypocrite.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sustainable* is almost always a prime indicator of BS statement - totally meaningless greenwash word.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
*Sustainable* is almost always a prime indicator of BS statement - totally meaningless greenwash word.

Other statements she's made that are total BS:
    Arrow Change is coming for the fashion industry whether we like it or not and, for me, it needs to come from within.
    Arrow Radical ideas are needed, with a focus on justice for workers as our industry.
    Arrow We have agreed to climate targets – but we have no roadmap to meet them.
    Arrow Despite lots of creative talent in the fashion industry, the biggest companies are failing to show urgency, bravery or leadership.
    Arrow Now, as we accept that we are in a new, long-term, state of grief and emergency, we need to find cultural alignment around meaningful purpose.
    Arrow We need to find a new business model and we need to change together.
    Arrow The fashion industry is a powerful cultural force and with that comes great responsibility.
    Arrow It’s time to overcome elitism and division, and reimagine culture with empathy at its centre.

Hogwash company jargon BS of the highest order, lacking in any substance whatsoever, rooted in no basis of fact at all, and chucked out there to sound evocative. Total clown Puke

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

That + her other statements I'm reading as

Failed Designer

Importing plastic based cycling clothes from probably Asia

No market for said clothes because well eBay/alibaba/tao bao will sell me the same/similar thing without her sewing her label in it for cheaper. Or a proper cycling shop will sell me actual quality shit.

In order to try to force her unwanted business to succeed she wants to draw it as some form of ethical crusade. She is aiming for the double whammy of feminism and environmentalism.

Just another person that needs to be shot but instead we'll amplify her voice far beyond the gutter it should be dying in.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
...Extinction Rebellion co-founder Clare Farrell[/url]

Yet her OWN fashion line is 'sustainable' so all good, right?

https://i.imgur.com/nWiq30l.png

In that interview she's trying to make it sound like there are no cycling related products available for women and that she's the pioneering feminist taking on the male dominated world of cycling. Silly woman, there are already lots of companies making products which are much better quality than your primitive products which appear to be for hipsters rather than cyclists. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot her. We have no choice.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaand she's a feminist. Never would have guessed.

The one that really got me was:

"I own about 50 coats (a little excessive perhaps but at least I’m passionate about them?!)"

50 coats??? Simplify man.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/extinction-rebellion-climate-change-barrier-cenotaph-remembrance-day/

They really do know how to win friends and influence people don't they.

I wonder if a few veterans might turn out at their next 'rally'.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How serious do you take climate change?

"Serious enough to spit on the graves of war dead."

Sickening.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I wonder if a few veterans might turn out at their next 'rally'.

If they do, they will be referred to by the Beeb as the 'Far Right'.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke who did it is ex-army.

Also hilarious to see this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8941231/XR-protester-sparked-outrage-Cenotaph-stunt-calls-Remembrance-Day-little-ritual.html

TV presenters who presumably have zero military experience, getting offended on behalf of those who do have military experience, after man with military experience describes 11/11 event as a "little ritual".

So who's right and who's wrong, and who has the right to be most right about who's wrong Thinking ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Squaddie going full retard does not validate anything that Extinction Rebellion stand for.

People who think virtue signalling is more important than actually doing something are always wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 27 of 55