Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

M.2 drive question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: M.2 drive question Reply with quote

Trying to figure out which M.2 i would need, my mobo has 2 slots, thge first one has a 500gb in already but im trying to figure which type the 2nd slot would accept.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Steel%20Legend/#Specification
1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)

Don't want to pay moneys and find it wont work in the system, would this one do?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-blue-sn550-1tb-nvme-m.2-2280-pcie-gen3-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your board supports NVME so definitely get that over SATA.

Looks like the board supports 2280 so the drive you picked will be fine.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:13 - 09 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good M2.

Honest opinion after having mine for 2 years, worth every penny, I do have a cooler on mine and it is the 970 Evo.

They get hot, unsure what you are running case wise, but I would 100% get a head spreader and ample airflow.

Use the top most M2 slot, using both would disable some SATA ports I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
That is a good M2.

Honest opinion after having mine for 2 years, worth every penny, I do have a cooler on mine and it is the 970 Evo.

They get hot, unsure what you are running case wise, but I would 100% get a head spreader and ample airflow.

Use the top most M2 slot, using both would disable some SATA ports I believe.

The case has got loads of airflow, as far as i can tell it shares a lane with 1 of the sata ports?
I have a hard drive in 1 of the 4 but i only really use it for back up, that being said it currently has the new flight sim on it, its not doing the loading time any favours Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using NVME, it'll take up the PCIe bus lanes (the manual will likely say that if you're using one or both of the slots, you'll lose access to one of the 4 lane PCIe slots.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm might just get a sata drive and save any future headache's
Looking through the manual and it sais, m.2 (2) and sata 3 (3) share lanes, but then the website sais it shares lanes with sata 3 AND 4, the hard drive is currently plugged into sata 4.
This stuff makes my head spin sometimes Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:19 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
If you're using NVME, it'll take up the PCIe bus lanes (the manual will likely say that if you're using one or both of the slots, you'll lose access to one of the 4 lane PCIe slots.

I'm not aware of it stealing PCIe. I know it steals SATA... I have a full board of PCIe and 2 M2s and have no issues.

Your one has 2 M2 slots, only if you populate 2 will you affect SATA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the website:

M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

So depends what slot his current m2 is plugged in.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current nvme drive is in the first slot, i noticed that too but the mobo doesn't have a 4th PCIE Confused

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
The current nvme drive is in the first slot, i noticed that too but the mobo doesn't have a 4th PCIE Confused

You have 6

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised the link i posted was the wrong one, mine is the Matx version Embarassed
So as i understand it, i should be fine to plug the ssd in the 2nd slot and all should be well, as in this board it shares a lane with sata 3.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:26 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the top one, always.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the 500gb drive in there, was looking to add the TB one for storing games and photo's and leaving the first slot as boot drive

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
I already have the 500gb drive in there, was looking to add the TB one for storing games and photo's and leaving the first slot as boot drive

Ah I got you, 2 M2 drives, mans flashing the cash Laughing Would recommend a heat sink for them to be honest, they do get hot.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell the Mrs Laughing
I know i should really get a couple for them, I'm assuming you need to take the stickers off befoie sticking on the heatsink?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:53 - 13 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
Don't tell the Mrs Laughing
I know i should really get a couple for them, I'm assuming you need to take the stickers off befoie sticking on the heatsink?

I did. They say it's not required but I 100% did. Going to drop a water cooled one next time as I've got some spare fittings.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup so the other drive isn't working, i'm hearing conflicting info online, some say this board supports 2 nvme's others say 1 nvme and 1 sata drive.
Sigh i always forget the reason i don't like messing around with pc's Sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
Yup so the other drive isn't working, i'm hearing conflicting info online, some say this board supports 2 nvme's others say 1 nvme and 1 sata drive.
Sigh i always forget the reason i don't like messing around with pc's Sad

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon series APU and Raven Ridge 2)**
- 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)**

*M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.

That will work OK as 2 NVMEs. Same spec ish as mine, works fine in mine, check disk manager to see if its there.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emailed Asrock and this was their reply
"This motherboard does not support 2 NVMe drives via the M.2 sockets.

M2_1 supports only PCIe M.2 SSDs (NVMe is PCIe).

M2_2 supports only SATA M.2 SSDs."
Ah well i'll have to send this one back.
Thing is the only sata m.2's i've seen have a different key to them
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1