Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK Internal market bill.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: UK Internal market bill. Reply with quote

Currently causing the Scots, Welsh and Irish mats great grief. Does anyone understand what exactly it does that they find so problematic?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'd taken much interest in this till you brought it up Smile

The UK Internal Market sounds a lot like making a pocket-sized version of the EU common market. Of course, someone has to throw out the diktats and formerly this was Brussels.

Unsurprisingly Wee Jimmy Krankie was fine guzzling on EU-cock but seems reticent to grapple with the Member for Henley Thinking

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: UK Internal market bill. Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Currently causing the Scots, Welsh and Irish mats great grief. Does anyone understand what exactly it does that they find so problematic?

Basically it's another step away from the chance of somehow still cancelling brexit which the usuals are still working towards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an insurance policy against the EU meddling in our internal markets, as the name suggests. In Brexit talks last Friday, they implied they might ban £3 billion of agricultural products from going to NI from the UK mainland. The Internal Market Bill allows us to prevent such unwelcome meddling in our internal affairs. The Scots and Welsh also stand to lose from such meddling. I mean, who ever heard of such a thing, that you can't move goods and services within your own country's borders without the permission of a foreign power, or support your own country's industries and businesses? It's a joke.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 100% intended to benefit/safeguard the people of the UK in the case of unreasonable pressures being brought to bear from outside.

The bawwing is because we initially agreed to the treaty that would potentially have allowed said unreasonable pressures and it would make us look bad if we failed to abide by it.

The fact there is quite so much bawwing from the EU direction makes me think there was every intention of doing so.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirement for a WA before trade talks was a cynical ploy, a kind of blackmail. I've always said a WA alone is not Brexit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right that's it I think we should have another vote.

But we should call it a really nice name. 'People's vote' last time failed because it wasn't woke enough.

How about a BLMXR vote.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: UK Internal market bill. Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
it's another step away from the chance of somehow still cancelling brexit which the usuals are still working towards.

They cannot. We left.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing we could come crawling back, but the French would make us sh1t through our noses to do it.

I'm still unsure why the French hate us so much when we were on their side in the 20th Century wars (even Suez).

I just googled "Why do the French hate us?" Here's the answer:

TOP 20 THINGS THE FRENCH HATE ABOUT THE ENGLISH
1. We drive on the left
2. We are obsessed with the Royal family
3. Football hooliganism
4. We can't cook
5. We expect everyone else to speak English
6. We’re obsessed with tea
7. We think we're the best at everything
8. Why we voted for Brexit
9. Arrogance
10. Wearing socks with sandals
11. Our lack of variety with foods
12. Put ketchup on everything
13. Beer bellies
14. The fact the English seem to have no intention to learn any other language
15. Our obsession with football
16. Unruly children
17. The British take/interpretation on foreign cuisine
18. Brits singing songs very loudly (and drunkenly!) in the streets
19. No style
20. There are too many regional accents to keep up with

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I'm guessing we could come crawling back

No. We would have to rejoin from scratch, as if we had never been in, with all that entails (including the undoing of agreements elsewhere we have made and may make in the next while). That is vanishingly unlikely.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Stereotypes

The French hate us for lots of things that aren't true? Well let me reveal the opposing list:

TOP 20 THINGS THE ENGLISH HATE ABOUT THE FRENCH
1. They're French
2. Umm...
3. That's it!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is interesting but watching the debate in the house of commons, there seems to be a big argument about how monies that would have gone to the EU from the UK are now distributed and spent. The SNP are up in arms over a minister in Westminster having control but I noticed a point being made in the debate that the SNP are happy for a gnome in the EU previously having that control and there being an obvious paradox to that.
Personally I think the SNP are scared Boris is going to go on a big spending spree in areas of Scotland neglected by the SNP regime in Holyrood.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The bawwing is because we initially agreed to the treaty

I signed a deal with a finance company last year. Got the car, been showing it off to the neighbours. Now the finance company are bawwing they want money from me??? Screw that. Not my fault I didn't bother to understand what I was signing.

So I've written a modification to the deal, says "I don't have to pay anything if I don't want to". Signed it. Should be fine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The bawwing is because we initially agreed to the treaty

I signed a deal with a finance company last year. Got the car, been showing it off to the neighbours. Now the finance company are bawwing they want money from me??? Screw that. Not my fault I didn't bother to understand what I was signing.

So I've written a modification to the deal, says "I don't have to pay anything if I don't want to". Signed it. Should be fine.

Do you think the EU should be able to ban goods from the UK mainland from going to NI, bearing in mind we are no longer in the EU? Or charge tariffs for the privilege of doing so?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Do you think the EU should be able to ban goods from the UK mainland from going to NI, bearing in mind we are no longer in the EU? Or charge tariffs for the privilege of doing so?

I think we should understand and abide by the deals we sign. It's that whole "taking responsibility for your actions" thing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I think we should understand and abide by the deals we sign. It's that whole "taking responsibility for your actions" thing.

But can you answer my question?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

What if it said in the small print that they can decide you aren't allowed to drive your car into a specific town unless you pay double the fee? They assured you it was just a contingency that they would never use when you signed the agreement but then activated that clause six months in.

Would you pay double or just drive there anyway?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What if it said in the small print

I'd say you should have read the small print and not signed it if you didn't like it.

Edit - Also, in this case, we negotiated the small print, it's not like the UK had it shoved in front of us in a grubby car sales office without time to read it...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:14 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the withdrawal agreement was a hire-purchase agreement, it would be unenforceable in UK law anyway because it contains unreasonable obligations.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made an agreement, we had every opportunity to scrutinise the agreement beforehand, we took part in the writing of the wording of said agreement, the agreement even has a specific get-out clause for use if either party is not working in good faith.

The Internal Market Bill is completely unnecessary from the offset AND breaking our previous agreement.

It doesn't make sense. It makes us look like morons.

I voted out, I haven't voted labour in years, I still think Ed Milliband said it best.

The concept of the Bill is wrong and I hope it fails. We shouldn't be legislating to break international law.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If the withdrawal agreement was a hire-purchase agreement, it would be unenforceable in UK law anyway because it contains unreasonable obligations.

The hire-purchase agreement is a bad analogy.

The withdrawal agreement wasn't handed to us, we took part in writing it.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But can you answer my question?

If we signed a deal that says they can, yes.

Do you think the EU should be able to ban goods from the UK mainland and NI from going to Ireland, bearing in mind we are no longer in the EU? Or charge tariffs for the privilege of doing so?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
We made an agreement, we had every opportunity to scrutinise the agreement beforehand, we took part in the writing of the wording of said agreement, the agreement even has a specific get-out clause for use if either party is not working in good faith.

So were the eu to do what they threaten, you wouldn't have a problem in just abandoning the entire agreement?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We break international law all the time.

This is small-fry.

You won't see proper breaking of international law until we leave with a restricted trade deal which does not include access to our fisheries and the EU member states continue fishing in our territorial waters anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a unilateral declaration ceeding them access so what they are doing is legal under internal EU law.

Fishery access is what they want now. That's what they wanted in 1974. They have even offered a frictionless trade deal in exchange for it. They will continue to bargain in bad faith in order to railroad this through which is why the UK government have brought in protective legislation.

Mark my words, there will be cod wars with France and Spain next year.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4