Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha SR400 vs Honda CB400ss

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zinminhla14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:23 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Yamaha SR400 vs Honda CB400ss Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I'm a little bit confused about choosing a motorcycle. I hope you guys can help me!

I would like to buy a motorcycle for my daily commute and sometime as a long touring trip. But I'm a short littel asian guy with 5'4" height and 140lb weight. So as far as I searched I found these two bikes will best match with me. Yamaha SR400 and Honda CB400ss. I forget to mention that i love classic bikes.

So friends, the problem is these two bike are almost the same as their looks and their specifications. I know SR is kick start only. But kick start or E start that doesn't matter for me. All i wanted to know is.....
1.Which bike is faster?
2.What are their Top Speed?
3.Which bike is more reliable?
4.Which bike is good for prolong use?
5.What are their pros and cons?
6.Finally which one is better?

Please help me by sharing your experience and ideas. Thanks you all my friends.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:49 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've read this somewhere else.

I've taken the liberty of copying your previous reply to this one and deleting the extra threads. -stinkwheel

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I dont see why being 140lb and 5'4 would restrict what you ride. I'm the same and I happily ride a triumph sprint.

The 9only bike I've ever ridden that concerned me with its height was a cr125 endure machine.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:52 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am 5"6' and also weigh 140lbs. I wouldn't choose either of these.

Unless you're restricted somehow by licensing in the country you live in, there are better options. Both of these bikes are single cylinder which means they will have quite noticeable vibration when riding, which can be tiring after a long time. Neither will be particularly good for long trips.

Maybe for a short commute they'd be OK, but longer trips? no.

To be honest with our height and weight we can pretty much ride anything short of an adventure or offroad style bike.

To be fair, they are both Japanese, so they will both be pretty reliable, they will both have a roughly equal performance, both make similar power. Out of the two I'd go Honda, and that's mainly because of the electric start, and that it's a Honda so it will be solid and well built.

So from the way you speak I'd guess you're not from the UK? Where are you from, and what are the licensing rules like there? Is there a reason why you want a low power 400? How much experience with bikes do you have? Do you want a fast bike? Do you want a bike that handles nicely? Are you going to use it in all weathers? What is the prevailing weather like where you are?

It's hard to advise without knowing those things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want me to share ideas?

Hmmm? How about NOT posting the same thing in every section Middle Finger

Zinminhla14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Don't be rude bro. May be I'm not genius as you and I'm a nobby. I post this because i could get some help from someone who have more knowledge and experience. If you don't like it, just simply skip it bro. Why so negative?

Zinminhla14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:03 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Hello,

I am 5"6' and also weigh 140lbs. I wouldn't choose either of these.

Unless you're restricted somehow by licensing in the country you live in, there are better options. Both of these bikes are single cylinder which means they will have quite noticeable vibration when riding, which can be tiring after a long time. Neither will be particularly good for long trips.

Maybe for a short commute they'd be OK, but longer trips? no.

To be honest with our height and weight we can pretty much ride anything short of an adventure or offroad style bike.

To be fair, they are both Japanese, so they will both be pretty reliable, they will both have a roughly equal performance, both make similar power. Out of the two I'd go Honda, and that's mainly because of the electric start, and that it's a Honda so it will be solid and well built.

So from the way you speak I'd guess you're not from the UK? Where are you from, and what are the licensing rules like there? Is there a reason why you want a low power 400? How much experience with bikes do you have? Do you want a fast bike? Do you want a bike that handles nicely? Are you going to use it in all weathers? What is the prevailing weather like where you are?

It's hard to advise without knowing those things.

Well, I'm from Myanmar. I pick these bikes because I can afford for only that budget. And i also want a nimble, light weight and more economic role. I'm really appreciate your reply brother. Thank you so much for your sharing. If you know some other bikes in that price range, I'will be really glad to take your advice.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:09 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinminhla14 wrote:

Well, I'm from Myanmar. I pick these bikes because I can afford for only that budget. And i also want a nimble, light weight and more economic role. I'm really appreciate your reply brother. Thank you so much for your sharing. If you know some other bikes in that price range, I'will be really glad to take your advice.

That does make a big difference. I'm not sure about pricing and bike availability in your country - and I'm sure that the weather probably only has two states that being hot, and hot and wet.

The Honda will be a decent choice of the two, but if you can get a twin cylinder bike for similar money that's where I'd be looking. I just don't know what bikes are available in Myanmar though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinminhla14 wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Don't be rude bro. May be I'm not genius as you and I'm a nobby. I post this because i could get some help from someone who have more knowledge and experience. If you don't like it, just simply skip it bro. Why so negative?

No. I'm the only nobby on here.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinminhla14 wrote:

Hmmm. Thinks? So you come on here and want to know information,? Okay, how about being a little more engaging.
Maybe tell us about what bikes you ride or have ridden?
Where are you based ? You never know , someone might know someone in that region who might be able to help.
Oh, by the way, this is a UK based forum so that might not help if you are far away.

Or you could just come to the site, post on every section and tell everyone you want input about bikes you are interested in.

Hmm? I wonder which one would get a better response?
Yer ,I think I’ll just skip it from now on Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:18 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkers wrote:

I've taken the liberty of copying your previous reply to this one and deleting the extra threads.

How very dare you!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:50 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a quick Google is suggests the CB400SS is far-east single cylinder model. Over here at CB400 would usually mean a 4 cylinder model, although there have been CB400 twins. Honda have re-used the name a lot for the last 60 years.

So that means you're comparing two single cylinder, 400cc bikes which both make about 30 horsepower and have classical styling.

On paper there isn't much between them, so go with whichever one is in better condition or you prefer - because of looks, comfort, general happy feeling.

My personal preference would be for the Yamaha. It had quite a long production run which means parts should be easier/cheaper to get hold of. The SR range is known for being fairly tough, and you have the usual far-east mix of roads that can be either really good, or really bad. It's light, which helps.

It also helps if the bike is popular in your country. It means you have more chance of someone being able to fix it if you break down or crash.

If you get one and have any mechanical questions, post them up in the workshop forum. A few of us on here are oddly fond of basic single cylinder bikes and will know how to fix just about anything.

Zinminhla14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:15 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
From a quick Google is suggests the CB400SS is far-east single cylinder model. Over here at CB400 would usually mean a 4 cylinder model, although there have been CB400 twins. Honda have re-used the name a lot for the last 60 years.

So that means you're comparing two single cylinder, 400cc bikes which both make about 30 horsepower and have classical styling.

On paper there isn't much between them, so go with whichever one is in better condition or you prefer - because of looks, comfort, general happy feeling.

My personal preference would be for the Yamaha. It had quite a long production run which means parts should be easier/cheaper to get hold of. The SR range is known for being fairly tough, and you have the usual far-east mix of roads that can be either really good, or really bad. It's light, which helps.

It also helps if the bike is popular in your country. It means you have more chance of someone being able to fix it if you break down or crash.

If you get one and have any mechanical questions, post them up in the workshop forum. A few of us on here are oddly fond of basic single cylinder bikes and will know how to fix just about anything.

Thanks alot brother, yes i was also thinking about the Yamaha. Because it is still in production and honda had been stop production of 400cc single cylinder. Your opinion make me more relief and more clear about my decision. I'm very glad to have a people like you in this group.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1