Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Born again biker: my 1100cc is feeling slow !

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Born again biker: my 1100cc is feeling slow ! Reply with quote

Hello. I was here a while back for advice and thanks for that. However, I went ahead and bought a Moto Guzzi Breva v1100. For the first few months the instant 2000rpm torque was very very pleasing Laughing , and i still love the look and feel of the italian bike (shaft drive is great too). But, the top end is only adequate two up and I am wondering if i should be looking at Japanese fours now (eg cb1300, xjr1300 etc). I have a budget of about £3500 so GSX1400 (my favourite) is probs outside that. Or there is FJR13 (too heavy?). My understanding is that R1150 etc are probs similar performance.
Basically if any owners of these could give some input I'd be grateful of some further advice. Cheers Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB1300 is the best of the 3 retro Jap 4's IMO. Mate of mine has one and he hustles along nicely on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FJR is a lovely bike but if you want to go down the sports tourer route I would recommend the Kawasaki 1400 GTR. I have no idea what sort of money they go for though.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 14 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fir the comments. I've been watching Yamaha FJR1300 videos and it dies seem to tick the boxes: very powerful, not overly heavy, screen, good two up. Zny owners here??

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Born again biker: my 1100cc is feeling slow ! Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
My understanding is that R1150 etc are probs similar performance.

As a rider with experience on the BMW R1150R and Honda VFR800Fi, I can assure you that any of the boxer engine BMWs will perform more like your MotoGuzzi than any Japanese sport or sport touring bike. The big twin cylinder engines have loads of torque down low, but big jugs come with limitations right where it starts getting fun. My R1150R redlines at 7500rpm. The engine is well balanced and runs aggressively in the upper region of the power band...but when bounced off the rev limiter it reminds me, "this ain't no sportbike". Confused Fun for an old man, but I suspect you would be happier with more performance, say an engine with a 10,000rpm redline (or higher).

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 20:17 - 16 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can live with the styling given you've been looking at "muscle bikes", have a look at the Honda VFR's. Somewhere between the Torque of a big twin and the scream of an inline 4, good handling two up, lots of people tour on them. Won't set your world alight with excitement, but they're super reliable.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new comments and apols for slow response. Embarassed

Though I like the instant torque of the Guzzi 1100, e.g. snap throttle open at 3000 and it pulls like a turbo diesel, which i like. The problem is is doesn't like being lugged though so below 2500 rpm it is not happy at all, but then it isn't revvy either, so again a bit like a turbo diesel car it has a very narrow area where it is happy, meaning lots of gear changes, and I find that irritating. Combine that with very primitive snatchy fuel injection and I think a Jap 4 cylinder (maybe with carbs too) would suit me better. GSX1400 looks like the dream but budget constraints mean Bandit 1200 more likely (shame it has such a daft name!). Other option from Autotrader look like XJR1300 and CB1300... any comments on those?

I forgot to say the other irritating thing is the gearing is astronomically high, i mean 6th is motorway only and 1st has to have the clutch slipped for 20 feet if you have a pillion on bored. It is a lovely bike in many ways, but I can see why they're unpopular, they are just not thought out well enough (when they could easily be... smacks of "it'll do Luigi, just put it on sale"

Cheers! Thumbs Up

Last edited by philnewbike on 13:54 - 24 Sep 2020; edited 1 time in total

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the GSX1250F?

Basically a better bike than a Bandit 12 without the name you obviously dislike?

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
What about the GSX1250F?

Basically a better bike than a Bandit 12 without the name you obviously dislike?

Lol, good point. is the fuel injection smooth though? (the Guzzi's is stoneage)

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
What about the GSX1250F?

So, after a little reading around the jury seems to favour the 1200 oil/air cooled motor and the carbs are smoother... I think I now have something to aim for in the classified Smile

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/road-test/road-test-suzuki-bandit-1200-vs-1250

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:11 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
Thanks fir the comments. I've been watching Yamaha FJR1300 videos and it dies seem to tick the boxes: very powerful, not overly heavy, screen, good two up. Zny owners here??

Try one, I tried the BMW 1200 RT, the Kawa GTR and the FJR, The FJR did it for me, the BMW was a bit lacklustre 2 up, and too many issues that are usually expensive, as stock though the comfiest of the 3, the GTR didn't like that it didn't have cruise control, important (although not essential) on a bike like this if going long distances via motorways, it also had heavier steering and was a bit uncommunicative from the front compared to the FJR.

FJR isn't without it's foibles though, I have a '16 6speed A model (standard suspension).

None of the following mods are essential but are very worthwhile and I don't regret any of them.

Stock seat too hard, end up with a numb bum after 1 hour, went for the Yamaha comfort seat, cured my problem, but a few options available, latest seem to be Top Selerie from France.

As stock bars are at a terrible angle mean wrists bent outwards and a bit too much of a lean for long distance, I went for an MV Motorrad bar riser that lifts them, opens them out for a straighter wrist, and brings them closer to the rider, transformed the comfort for me.

Stock suspension is fine if you are a dodderer, and less than 11 stone, but heavy riders and two up find the back a little bouncy particularly in bends. I fitted a Nitron RT3 to the rear with hydraulic preload (essential if you ride two up regularly as not much room to adjust pre load manually) but decent rear shocks can be had from around £300 that are better than stock, and Hyperpro springs and heavy oil 1(5w) in front forks, (about £140) handling is epic, and one up she's not too shabby for a big girl, comfier over minor road imperfections too, two up with luggage this bike is planted, they track well in bends too, easy to tip in and maintain your line, the GTR didn't feel like that when I tried it. You can get these with Auto suspension and semi auto gearboxes, but I went with standard coz less to go wrong.

Standard screen for me is perfect, but many change it, I found larger ones too claustrophobic, normal riding I keep it down, if raining it goes fully up and pulls the rain from my visor (I'm just under 6' tall).

From 16 on they have a six gear (not necessary) but useful and an assist a slipper clutch, they also have fantastic LED headlights, it's like having your own sun compared to normal bike lights.

I've also changed the cans for a pair of carbon fibre Roshimura R77's that I bought second hand, the stock cans are fine, but these came up at a good price and I bought can sell on if I don't like them, but I do and they sound better too.

it's a heavy bike below about 1mph, or when pushing it around, but once moving is pretty light and nimble considering.

real world performance is epic though, while my mates 160bhp BMW 1000cc four is getting on cam I'm already passed whatever we are overtaking, has plenty power and gobs of torque, meaning acceleration in any gear is swift, 2nd from about 30-40mph is like warp drive.

Try the GTR (much thinner on the ground though) and try the FJR, you'll prefer one over the other, alternatively go for the replicas like CB1300 although consider that's more suited to sunny days out at moderate speed (due to having no weather wind protection) than long distance high speed all weather stuff.

There are many bikes I would like to own, as a stable mate to the FJR, but if I can have only 1 bike, I currently can't think of a bike that I'd rather have to replace it. There is a chap on an FJR forum that has over 250k miles on his FJR, they are pretty reliable and robust all said and done.

Enjoy your hunt!

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:

Try one, I tried the BMW 1200 RT, the Kawa GTR and the FJR, The FJR did it for me, the BMW was a bit lacklustre 2 up, and too many issues that are usually expensive, as stock though the comfiest of the 3, the GTR didn't like that it didn't have cruise control, important (although not essential)

Thank you so much for that comprehensive review of the FJR, I do like the fact that it is powerful and shaft drive (and that Yamaha don't make cars, which for some reason I like too... "I have a Honda" has to be followed by "motorbike" and "1300/other" otherwise it could be a Civic or a C90! Laughing ) but I was a little put off by the fact that I am indeed be an occasional biker, but with some longer runs of many hours too.. The thing that flicked my ears was cruise control! I would never buy a car without it (could live with anything else but the thought of bombing down a motorway for 7 hours without it is positively archaic... and masochistic). Anyway, I think I will have another look at the FJR. Thanks for that mate Thumbs Up

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also added to my list is a seriously left field (for my age) bike, the ST11 and 1300... big heavy blobby things, but cheap, reasonably powerful (or is the power zapped by the weight?) and the V4 seems to be very well liked by reviewers. oh well, plenty to choose from, just need to polish up the Guzzi for sale now Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
ST11 and 1300... big heavy blobby things, but cheap, reasonably powerful (or is the power zapped by the weight?)Thumbs Up

Power definitely not zapped by the weight. Heavy, to be sure, but those motorcycles have spirited, torquey, understressed engines that will easily and willingly cruise at 100 mph +. They are reliable and durable, good for 400,000 miles or more if well cared for. Police departments all over the world ride the ST's, and they perform under some pretty severe operating conditions. Head and shoulders over your Guzzi.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

Power definitely not zapped by the weight.

Thanks for that. Basically I think a Jap 4 is in order. I do really like the Guzzi but I also find it's foibles just too irritating to ignore. I still really like it's looks (people come and look at mine when it's parked up), the sound of the V twin, pokey performance, shaft drive etc, but the inability to lug the engine and low rev limit as well means I am forever changing gear to keep it happy and that's a drag

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
the inability to lug the engine and low rev limit as well means I am forever changing gear to keep it happy and that's a drag

Test ride an ST, I think you will be impressed. Problem will be the constant need to reign it in. Those bikes really perform well at speed...80mph feels like 50, if you know what I mean.

philnewbike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so just to be a complete contrarian I think I might have changed my mind... Went for a ride on the Guzzi at the week end and really enjoyed it (solo). I think it is a bit slow with two (only 86 bhp) but when just me it is perfectly adequate. I still find the sensitive throttle irritating but maybe the answer is to avoid roundabouts (where this foible shows up most)! If I was a 2 or 3 bike person then I'd keep the Guzzi and buy a better 2-up bike in addition, e.g. ST, but for now I think maybe I should just not be as fussy... after all, I might be lumbered with carburettor flat spots or gummed up floats in exchange for smoothness. At least FI means low maintenance

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

philnewbike wrote:
OK, so just to be a complete contrarian I think I might have changed my mind... Went for a ride on the Guzzi at the week end and really enjoyed it (solo).

Dude, I get it. This July I returned to California from a 4 month Covid lockdown in Morocco, intent on selling my R1150R for a Kawi Z400 (looking for something a few hundred pounds lighter). 200 miles on the beemer got me thinking "this bike ain't so bad, it's really a lot of fun". Suffice to say that I've scrapped my Z400 plan for now...

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a CB1300 or a Bandit 1250 really going to cut it in the comfort and weather protection stakes if you're doing a notable amount of long distance touring two-up?

It's got the be the FJR all day long surely? I have no idea if they suffer with snatchy EFI throttle response (I've known a few FJR owners in the past and never heard this as a complaint) but either way I wouldn't let that put you off I'm sure this could easily be resolved with the addition of a power commander at a later date if needed and you don't get any cruise control with carbs and as you rightly said with carbs comes the added maintenance/reliability issue.

A Pan could be a decent shout. I know a guy who has had one for literally donkeys years and swears by it, getting a bit long in the tooth now but he refuses to get rid of it. He has this theory that a decent Pan is hard to find on the basis that everyone who has ever owned one keeps hold of it and never sells it (like him). They're definitely a 250,000+ mile bike if looked after. I'm not sure the Pan can compete with the FJR in the performance stakes two-up though?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1