Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New vs used 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bassmongoose
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: New vs used 125 Reply with quote

Hi

I just passed my CBT and am planning to purchase a 125cc. I have all my riding gear already and plan to make a cash purchase. I have been to dealerships to look at and sit on the 125's from KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda well as Keeway, Lexmoto etc.

I plan to ride a 125cc for 12-18 months before taking my full big bike license and have my heart set on the Suzuki GSX-S-125

In your opinion which would be the best option to see me lose as little through devaluation after 18 months:

1) £3700 for a new 2020 bike
2) £3400 for new pre-registered 2019 model,
3) £3000 (2019 model with 2500mile and 3 month parts warranty)?

Would appreciate any help please.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, just don't spend a load of money on a 125. Just get something cheap, reliable and unflashy (like a Yamaha YBR125 or something), and save your money to put towards a big bike.

You'll be bored of the 125 in six months no matter what it is. If you buy a YBR for say £1000, it'll probably be worth pretty much the same when you sell it.

You can save even more money by buying something Chinese (Lexmoto etc.), but the build quality can be shocking, and if you go that route you should probably regard it as a disposable item that will be worth next to nothing when you come to sell it.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ What he said.

It's your choice what you spend your money on, of course, but personally my answer would be "No" to all of those.

£3000 plus on an interim 125?

No. Just no.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a Lexmoto 125 and it never gave him any major issues.
However when he came to sell it, he didn’t get a lot for it.

I don’t know of anyone who’s paid £3000+ for a 125.
£3000+ seems a bit excessive for a 125?

I would think that even £2000 could buy you a very decent second hand Japanese 125 , if you are shrewd/ruthless.

Just my Penny Coin Penny Coin worth.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
A friend of mine had a Lexmoto 125

I stopped at the side of the road for a guy on one a couple of months ago. The chain kept coming off because the adjusters were made of cheese and had completely stripped their threads.

And the kicker? The bike was a courtesy bike from his local Lexmoto dealer, because his Lexmoto had managed to melt all it's wiring. Shocked

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: New vs used 125 Reply with quote

Bassmongoose wrote:
In your opinion which would be the best option to see me lose as little through devaluation after 18 months:

1) £3700 for a new 2020 bike
2) £3400 for new pre-registered 2019 model,

If you must use one of those options, to lose as little as possible through depreciation, pick (3) as long as it's a good 'un.

Consider that you might be able to get something free from a dealer, e.g. accessories for any of them, and that the used one may already have some accessories.

I would be inclined to look around on eBay and other places to see what used ones of various ages cost, and what you might lose in various situations.

As others have said, there are other opportunities.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how much new 125's are these days, I guess it's because the increasing licence requirements and restrictions force many into 125's and that's why the prices rose.
I bought a new KMX125 for £2200 not so long ago, which was good, but the insurance was high - probably because the companies expect you to be on L plates.
Just do whatever full test you can at whatever age you are, the insurance alone would make it worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grom was about £3k Smile)
OK I have had a full licence for a long time
I live in the south east it has been to the north of Scotlend and west of Ireland

My two penneys worth buy Jap unless you got somewhere theaf proof or live work away from the scrotes buy used

Even Lexmoto suposidly the best of the cheap can be shit at parts we have seen several owners asking for emergency clutch cable repairs as cables are out stock and none for weeks !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new YBR125 and at 2 years old and not many miles sold it on for exactly what the outstanding finance was.

Whilst it was mine it gave me zero issues and was under warranty etc etc - peace of mind.

If you can find a bike that is 2 years old and in decent nick that has been used as a learner there are bargains to be had.

Or buy a Hyosung or an old CG125 and run that till you get a license.

£3500 on a new (any) 125 is madness.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-ybr125/174408335056?hash=item289b8bfed0:g:ZjoAAOSwv6VfRPzL

Stuff like this always around. You could ride that for a year or two and pay it off and probably sell it on at not much loss as it's already depreciated / has done naff all miles.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: New vs used 125 Reply with quote

Bassmongoose wrote:

There's the balance of the three years manufacturers warranty as well. Wink

Options one and two will depreciate as soon as you wheel the bike out the showroom whilst someone else has already taken that hit on option three.

Option three still sounds rather expensive especially when they're trying to do you out of the remaining manufacturers warranty! Either they're not being nice or they're just not very knowledgeable, neither of which inspires confidence when you're looking at buying a bike from them!

In conclusion: meh.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a cheap jap 125 for the wife to learn the basics on but I'm finding it really hard to find any locally that aren't complete nails. Where have they all gone? I should have kept the CG I sold to my neighbour last year.

Bassmongoose
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:02 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great input. It has given me a lot to think about.

as kgm said, there is not much out there in decent cheap used 125's that isn't absolute garbage. Chatting to our local CBT instructor and he was saying that he has seen a huge increase in numbers doing the CBT. Local dealers also out of stock.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassmongoose wrote:
Thanks for all the great input. It has given me a lot to think about.

as kgm said, there is not much out there in decent cheap used 125's that isn't absolute garbage. Chatting to our local CBT instructor and he was saying that he has seen a huge increase in numbers doing the CBT. Local dealers also out of stock.

If you are prepared to spend circ £3000 on a 125cc and depending on your age, then it might be as well to look at going down the Direct Access route, £800-£1000 on training, leaves you £2000, which will get you a reasonably decent 600cc Bandit/Fazer/Hornet or similar

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:30 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your final bike isnt going to be a 125, then dont spend good money on one.

As soon as you start lessons and ride a 600cc you wont want a 125.

Its not just about the power as you may think but the equipment is better, brakes, suspension, gears and better all round comfort.

You say 18 months on a 125?
the minute you have a licence for a better bike you will want one Smile

Bassmongoose
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:

Its not just about the power as you may think but the equipment is better, brakes, suspension, gears and better all round comfort.

SmileSmile Yeah, I can already see that happening... I am 44 and 5.11 so can just do lessons on the big bike and take the full license. 2 reasons holding me back from just jumping into the full license:

1) The waiting list for Mod1 and Mod 2 is about 3 months due to COVID - I want to start riding now Smile
2) I admit, I am a bit of a nervous person and feel a few months on a smaller bike may help with confidence

Maybe I just need to grow a pair Smile and go for the lessons, get the full license and not worry about the 125.

HOw do most "mature" folks progress onwards from CBT?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassmongoose wrote:
Barnoe wrote:

SmileSmile Yeah, I can already see that happening... I am 44 and 5.11 so can just do lessons on the big bike and take the full license. 2 reasons holding me back from just jumping into the full license:

1) The waiting list for Mod1 and Mod 2 is about 3 months due to COVID - I want to start riding now Smile
2) I admit, I am a bit of a nervous person and feel a few months on a smaller bike may help with confidence

Maybe I just need to grow a pair Smile and go for the lessons, get the full license and not worry about the 125.

I was in a similar situation when i took up biking (3 years ago now, and im 41 this year)

I did go down the CBT, 125 route, but managed to bag a CB125 for £800, which i sold 6 months later for £800 (i had spent some money on it over that period though

It was reasonably well spent time, but i had gone into it thinking it would pootle about on it for a year or so....... that feeling didn't last long

Seriously though, if you really can't pick up a 125 for around a grand, i would certainly recommend putting your £3000 budget towards doing your big boy training

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassmongoose wrote:
Barnoe wrote:

I got my full license this year but was riding around on a 125 for a year before that after not having a bike for 5 years. It definitely helped but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Maybe give the CBT a go and see what the instructors think?

You will definitely wont want to ride a 125 long once you have a go on a big bike though.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bloke's to lanky or stiff to ride this thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rieju-RS3-125cc-motorcycle/133527677316?hash=item1f16dea984%3Ag%3AmU8AAOSw7OZfZeBH&LH_ItemCondition=3000
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1