Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Wr125Help wrote:
Yeah I must’ve done it wrong then as there were no sparks or anything, I’ve had a friend look and he said it’s something between the solenoid and starter, so I’m hoping it will be an easy fix once we can figure it out

Mr Nobby said he suspected an FSCK'd battery or starter. I agree. There shoul not be anything between the solenoid and starter motor, apart fron fattish wires.

If you get a length of wire and hold one end against a battery terminal, and brush the other end against the other battery terminal, there should be great big sparks as about 100A goes through the short. Don't make the short circuit continual, obviously, or your wire will glow red-hot.

If your bike won't start, and afterwards the above crude test does not produce bug fat zappy sparks, your battery is indeed a doorstop.

Okay so it should either be the starter or the battery based on the information i've given?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:13 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is highly likely to be the battery.

They get old and die. They die a lot faster if they were left discharged for any time - and you mentioned that the seller had to charge it up.

As a battery ages it looses capacity in terms of amps, but not volts. So if a new battery could provide 10 Amp hours, a knackered one may only provide 2 Amp hours. Both will still show about 12.8 volts.

Smaller batteries die faster. Seeing as its a 125, the original battery likely only had 4Ah. Luckily for you, small batteries are cheap, you should get one on ebay for 20 quid. Make sure to charge it for a few hours before fitting it to the bike.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, tested with a screw driver, absolutely nothing, no sparks or anything

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It is highly likely to be the battery.

They get old and die. They die a lot faster if they were left discharged for any time - and you mentioned that the seller had to charge it up.

As a battery ages it looses capacity in terms of amps, but not volts. So if a new battery could provide 10 Amp hours, a knackered one may only provide 2 Amp hours. Both will still show about 12.8 volts.

Smaller batteries die faster. Seeing as its a 125, the original battery likely only had 4Ah. Luckily for you, small batteries are cheap, you should get one on ebay for 20 quid. Make sure to charge it for a few hours before fitting it to the bike.

I will buy a new battery and update when I’ve got it, I’ve tried looking for an age code on the battery someone said to look for, but can’t seem to find it..

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wr125Help wrote:
I will buy a new battery and update when I’ve got it, I’ve tried looking for an age code on the battery someone said to look for, but can’t seem to find it..

FWIW I normally buy batteries from Tayna, who I've found to be decent.

EDIT: In this case I would NOT buy the Yuasa "wet" battery, I'd get the Motobatt one instead, 'cos it's:

Only £6 dearer.
Sealed lead acid.
Has a two-year guarantee.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/types/12n55-4a/

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Wr125Help wrote:

FWIW I normally buy batteries from Tayna, who I've found to be decent.

EDIT: In this case I would NOT buy the Yuasa "wet" battery, I'd get the Motobatt one instead, 'cos it's:

Only £6 dearer.
Sealed lead acid.
Has a two-year guarantee.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/types/12n55-4a/

This is my current battery so would I not need to buy the same one?

[/img]

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't want that.

You want either a Yuasa or Motobatt, in this case I prefer the motobatt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very inferior spec battery, although it is sealed lead acid. The CCA (basically the oomph the thing can put out to start your bike) is only 44A. The motorbatt one is double that. When it's cold, the better performance is worth having. Despite being really tight, I would normally go for the better one.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
No, you don't want that.

I am interested by the pic the OP posted. It does not look like the on on BS Battery's site:

https://bs-battery.com/12n5-5-4a/

As said, I would not have the Yuasa one, because wet batteries are a PITA.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:33 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
No, you don't want that.

I am interested by the pic the OP posted. It does not look like the on on BS Battery's site:

https://bs-battery.com/12n5-5-4a/

As said, I would not have the Yuasa one, because wet batteries are a PITA.

Just bought the one you posted, why is my battery not the same as the one on their website? The bike is 10 years old so is the battery I have the original battery?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wr125Help wrote:
Just bought the one you posted, why is my battery not the same as the one on their website? The bike is 10 years old so is the battery I have the original battery?

It's very hard to say.

It could be the original battery, but I very much doubt it, 'cos OE seems to be Yuasa (althoiugh that may not be), and 10 years is a long time for this size battery.

It could be a knock-off of the BS one.

It could be that BS changed the look and spec. of that battery.

Whatever, the Motobatt one should be much better.

Look after it. Don't let it go flat, being flat kills batteries. If it goes flat, charge it up PDQ, and investigate the charging system because it's not working properly, OR you left the lights on for a long while without the engine running, or similar.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you've not used it for 3 months because of lockdown....

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Wr125Help wrote:

It's very hard to say.

It could be the original battery, but I very much doubt it, 'cos OE seems to be Yuasa (althoiugh that may not be), and 10 years is a long time for this size battery.

It could be a knock-off of the BS one.

It could be that BS changed the look and spec. of that battery.

Whatever, the Motobatt one should be much better.

Look after it. Don't let it go flat, being flat kills batteries. If it goes flat, charge it up PDQ, and investigate the charging system because it's not working properly, OR you left the lights on for a long while without the engine running, or similar.

Well, I'm hoping it's the battery.. but what happens if I fit this new battery and it does absolutely nothing?

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Or you've not used it for 3 months because of lockdown....

Used it everyday since I got it just over a month ago

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:32 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - start motor was completely burnt out, took it apart and all the magnets were shattered into pieces

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow, nasty. Still, at least you know what the problem is, and you've got a decent battery (unless you've cancelled it).

Some used starter motors on eBay, £22ish.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Ow, nasty. Still, at least you know what the problem is, and you've got a decent battery (unless you've cancelled it).

Some used starter motors on eBay, £22ish.

Will use the new battery; and aftermarket start motor £40, Genuine £350

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wr125Help wrote:
Genuine [starter motor] £350

Ouch!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 07:52 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That's another thing to add my list of things that used to never go wrong, but do now.
The amount of cost-cutting on recent Japanese 125s is worrying. It's like they took a leaf out of Ford's book, and deliberately fitted components with a short service life for no noticable cost saving.
Case in point - sister in law's old CBF125 had a set of worn out brushes in the starter motor at something like 20k miles. I would expect them to last the life of the bike. Must have taken some effort from Honda to track down a supplier for seriously inferior parts.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:41 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue with the bike now, when filling it up with coolant it will only take about 0.1 litre before it’s overflowing out of the radiator, so bought another thermostat, but now I also have a loud vibration/knocking in the water pump

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:54 - 26 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you had drained the old coolant out first? And you're pouring it into the rad filler slowly.

I can't remember if this is the bike that had silicone sealant everywhere - lots of moderately fucked 125s on this forum.

Anyway, best thing to do is some investigation. Knocking from the water pump is unusual, but I reckon you're somehow dropped a pebble or a nut in there. Get the pump off and have a look for something being caught in it.

Filling - does the thermostat have a small hole drilled in the metal plate? It should, this allows a small amount of coolant through so you can fill the system without having the thermostat open.

Total system capacity is probably only a litre. Make sure everything is clean and properly assembled, slowly fill the rad, then start the engine with the rad cap off and let it warm up. This takes bloody ages.
Eventually the thermostat will open and the water level will drop. Turn it off, top up the rad, put the rad cap back on. Then top up the expansion bottle to the correct level and you're done. Check the level in the bottle after the first couple of rides.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:32 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I assume you had drained the old coolant out first? And you're pouring it into the rad filler slowly.

I can't remember if this is the bike that had silicone sealant everywhere - lots of moderately fucked 125s on this forum.

Anyway, best thing to do is some investigation. Knocking from the water pump is unusual, but I reckon you're somehow dropped a pebble or a nut in there. Get the pump off and have a look for something being caught in it.

Filling - does the thermostat have a small hole drilled in the metal plate? It should, this allows a small amount of coolant through so you can fill the system without having the thermostat open.

Total system capacity is probably only a litre. Make sure everything is clean and properly assembled, slowly fill the rad, then start the engine with the rad cap off and let it warm up. This takes bloody ages.
Eventually the thermostat will open and the water level will drop. Turn it off, top up the rad, put the rad cap back on. Then top up the expansion bottle to the correct level and you're done. Check the level in the bottle after the first couple of rides.

Drained the old coolant using the drainage plug, but there was literally only drips in the whole system.. despite the fact of me filling it up a few days prior, I’ve taken out the thermostat but haven’t looked at the water pump yet, when I fitted the start motor and it was running again, I could just hear a knocking/vibrating, so put a screwdriver to a few places and listened and it’s definitely coming from inside the water pump

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:52 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

This is just getting worse and worse, now it looks like there’s oil in the radiator coolant, dipped my finger in and it comes out black, smells just like oil, could this be due to a broken water pump? Or is it possibly head gasket?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:53 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar-ish problem on an SV650 years ago. The water pump was built into the crankcase cover, and relied on the crankcase cover gasket to keep the oil and water from mixing. This gasket had failed, so I had coolant in my oil. You may have the same problem, or vice versa.

First off, don't ride it until it is fixed. Second, order a new, genuine crankcase cover gasket for whatever side has the water pump. Pattern gaskets are rarely very accurate.

Check the oil level, to see if it has gone up. If so, chances are you have water in the oil, and it needs draining. You'll have to drop the oil anyway to change the gasket. Also look under the oil filler plug for mayonnaise - although you only get this if the engine has been running long enough to churn the oil and water into an emulsion.

Bear in mind this is speculation because I don't have the bike in front of me, but I would be doing the following:

1. Drop the oil. Look for water in the oil - usually the water will drain out first, looking watery, followed by the oil, looking a bit lumpy.
2. Remove the crankcase cover that has the water pump on it. Carefully examine the gasket where it seals around the water pump to see if it is broken.
3. Remove the old gasket, then scrape off all traces of gasket and goop. It will take ages and be a messy job. Try to avoid getting any of the crap inside the engine.
4. Check over the water pump as much as you can, in case something is broken in there or the impeller blade are worn.
5. Reassemble the crankcase cover with a new gasket.
6. Remove the radiator from the bike. Flush it through with a hose pipe. If some oily crap comes out, it needs some detergent and a soak. My preference is to plug off the bottom somehow, fill it with a mix of warm water and Daz, and let it soak. Flush with a hose, repeat soaking with detergent until it seems clean.

Finally, when all of the bits appear to be clean and properly assembled, fill it with plain tap water and go through the normal filling process. Let it run until warm, then drain this stuff off. It should remove enough of the crap from the system. Refill with proper coolant and you're done.

In short, getting oil in the cooling system is a pain in the arse.

Wr125Help
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:19 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I had a similar-ish problem on an SV650 years ago. The water pump was built into the crankcase cover, and relied on the crankcase cover gasket to keep the oil and water from mixing. This gasket had failed, so I had coolant in my oil. You may have the same problem, or vice versa.

First off, don't ride it until it is fixed. Second, order a new, genuine crankcase cover gasket for whatever side has the water pump. Pattern gaskets are rarely very accurate.

Check the oil level, to see if it has gone up. If so, chances are you have water in the oil, and it needs draining. You'll have to drop the oil anyway to change the gasket. Also look under the oil filler plug for mayonnaise - although you only get this if the engine has been running long enough to churn the oil and water into an emulsion.

Bear in mind this is speculation because I don't have the bike in front of me, but I would be doing the following:

1. Drop the oil. Look for water in the oil - usually the water will drain out first, looking watery, followed by the oil, looking a bit lumpy.
2. Remove the crankcase cover that has the water pump on it. Carefully examine the gasket where it seals around the water pump to see if it is broken.
3. Remove the old gasket, then scrape off all traces of gasket and goop. It will take ages and be a messy job. Try to avoid getting any of the crap inside the engine.
4. Check over the water pump as much as you can, in case something is broken in there or the impeller blade are worn.
5. Reassemble the crankcase cover with a new gasket.
6. Remove the radiator from the bike. Flush it through with a hose pipe. If some oily crap comes out, it needs some detergent and a soak. My preference is to plug off the bottom somehow, fill it with a mix of warm water and Daz, and let it soak. Flush with a hose, repeat soaking with detergent until it seems clean.

Finally, when all of the bits appear to be clean and properly assembled, fill it with plain tap water and go through the normal filling process. Let it run until warm, then drain this stuff off. It should remove enough of the crap from the system. Refill with proper coolant and you're done.

In short, getting oil in the cooling system is a pain in the arse.

So would you say it’s likely that the head gasket is gone? Or would you say it’s more to do with the water pump being broken (which it is) and has allowed oil into the coolant that way
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3