Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSR600 clutch problems (push rod)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: GSR600 clutch problems (push rod) Reply with quote

hello all

I fitted a new chain last weekend, to do so I had to remove the front sprocket cover which also has the mechanism for the clutch. after fitting the chain and re-fitting the cover the clutch no longer seems to work.

before I removed it, it was quite stiff to push the lever (the arm on top of the cover) now I can freely move it which seems odd. I've had the bloody thing off and on I don't know how many times now.

is there something I'm missing? it really doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

any clues would be appreciated, cheers
colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the cover ba k off. Remove the cable. Push the mechanism as far back as possible.

Pull out the push rod. Put it in the cover side. Replace the cover after aligning the push rod. Do it up and replace cable and adjust.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:03 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that theres a ball bearing between the push rod and the actual clutch so make sure that it doesnt come out with the push rod.

Your issue is that you didnt align the cover with the push rod so your mechanism isnt activating it. My solution ensures everything is aligned.

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that makes sense! ... This ballbearing is it in the cover side or the clutch side?

I did jetwash the cover to get rid of all the built up muck, and I used brake cleaner on the sprocket and surrounding area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch side.

You cleaned the sprocket? Did you not replace it with a new one?

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

my chain snapped, I have a sprocket here for it.. but I couldn't change it until I put the chain back on, once I've got the clutch fixed I'll swap the sprocket over.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:27 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you'll have to take the cover off again to do 5ye sprocket l. You may as well do that first.

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression I had to get someone to depressed the rear break while I "broke" the nut holding the sprocket. But apparently that isn't the case.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinM wrote:
I was under the impression I had to get someone to depressed the rear break while I "broke" the nut holding the sprocket. But apparently that isn't the case.

It does help but what does that have to do with the clutch?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:17 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/OypBglHIdV0

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried as you suggested and put the pushrod in the casing end and refitted it. it's still doing the same thing.

when I first took the casing off it was really tight I had to use a wooden pole and a rubber mallet and persuade it to come off by tapping it from behind. so the first time I tried to put it back on it was also really stiff. so I aligned it and used the bolts to force it back on.

I've Just looked at the exploded diagram for the clutch there is no ballbearing in the GSR600 k8 according to the diagram, I'm thinking I may have warped the cap that the rod goes into on the casing end. well, that's what I hope I've done. I don't see how I could damage the internal clutch by pressing the pushrod in.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:21 - 03 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the push rod is straight by rolling it along a flat surface.

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
See if the pushrod is straight by rolling it along a flat surface.

Thanks for all the help so far. I've been away from home for the past couple of weeks.

today I replaced the front sprocket and as I was tightening the nut back up I heard a ping noise and the pushrod shot out of the engine against the wall.

after refitting the sprocket cover and clutch cable it seems to feel like its working although I'm having some issues getting it into gear, I was wanting to start the bike in neutral and the try selecting some gears while it's on the stand (rear wheel off ground) but my battery is now flat so I'll try that tomorrow.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:07 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading all the posts again , is it possible that after pressure washing the greasy bits of the bike , some water has got up the hole in the shaft where the clutch pushrod runs and made it all a bit rusty. The first time the clutch was pulled the rod has moved , and then jammed 'cos of the rustand this has resulted in the play in the mechanism. " I heard a ping noise and the pushrod shot out of the engine against the wall. " makes me think it's just freed itself off!

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.. clutch is working fine now, I think what I did was misalign the pushrod and when I tightened the case somehow managed to push it too far in.
When I tightened the sprocket it was in gear and moving the clutch while it was in gear has freed it off somehow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1