Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cannibalisation of DVD writer to use on chromebook?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:48 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Cannibalisation of DVD writer to use on chromebook? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Another stupid question from a guy who grew up when the only computers around were BBC Micros solely for use by chess club members.

Take this into consideration when replying.

I have a few old broken laptops/desktops

The DVD writer from tower is desktop (so are the internal dvd drives on the laptops, they just slot in/out) can this be used in some way to.plug into my laptop which doesn't have a dvd drive?
It's only to transfer files I have on cdr's to sd cards or hdd.
I know I could buy a stand alone dvd player/writer with a USB cable intended for this purpose
But it seems a waste to chuck the one out of the desktop.
It has all the pins at rear so couldn't some sort of harness be sourced to get it powered up & get it into a usb port?
Or even doing same with the slimline versions from laptops?
It's not a question of money, I know the plug in dvd players are cheap but I'm on a recycling/upcycling mission.
Any ideas? I like a challenge especially when I'm learning something.

cheers,
GAZ

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 20:27 - 02 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the DVD drive IDE or SATA?

(I may not be able to help beyond that, but it's definitely the first question!)

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done. Apparently.

https://youtu.be/OgrQkyAUIHw

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way you're going to at least be buying a SATA to USB adapter to get the drive plugged in, and hope it can power it. If it's an IDE drive then your options will be a lot more limited.

Best option really is just to get a proper external slimline drive.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper slimline DVD drive... £15. Seriously not worth the effort to convert.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Cannibalisation of DVD writer from pc Reply with quote

You can get a USB slimline DVD drive for £8.99 and you won't get an adapter cable for less than that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-External-DVD-CD-ROM-Disc-Burner-Drive-Reader-for-Windows-07-08-10-Laptop/313232205001

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Cannibalisation of DVD writer from pc Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You can get a USB slimline DVD drive for £8.99 and you won't get an adapter cable for less than that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-External-DVD-CD-ROM-Disc-Burner-Drive-Reader-for-Windows-07-08-10-Laptop/313232205001

£3.88 Whistle

Interested to know if it would power a laptop DVD as the picture only shows 2.5 inch drives
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Cannibalisation of DVD writer from pc Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The good thing about these drives is you can change the region number and play dvd's from other regions, i have a couple and have one for region 1 if i can't find genuine region 2 dvd's, and they will play on most tv's too Thumbs Up

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still watch DVDs?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Cannibalisation of DVD writer from pc Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Interested to know if it would power a laptop DVD as the picture only shows 2.5 inch drives

I see no reason why it wouldn't but OP is wanting to use a desktop DVD drive which it wouldn't work with. Razz

I /think/ this would do what OP wants, it is a horrible mess of cables but it is a few pounds cheaper than buying an external slimline DVD drive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Cable-Power-Adapter-Converter-For-Hard-Disk-Drive-DVD/143541084284?hash=item216bb7207c:g:i6MAAOSwujVeVQ9U

We kind of do need to know what connector the DVD writer has.

The best answer though is to throw the DVD writer in the bin. You could fuck around with changing the region so you can play DVDs from other regions or you could just download whatever it is and then you don't need to have a desktop DVD plugged in at all.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A proper slimline DVD drive... £15. Seriously not worth the effort to convert.

THIS !

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Ordered plug in dvd rewrite.
BUT I have some software on a CD that needs windows to run ( it's a network security camera thing,)

I only need to play the CD once when setting it up, which I need to do now as I'm reinstalling it.
1: I'm guessing the cd won't upload the program on my chrome book as it doesn't run windows.
Any way round that.
2 : can I copy the programme from cd onto sd card or flash drive seeing as cd/DVD's are antiquated it seems.

cheers,
GAZ

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows software won’t run on chrome OS, they’re totally different. If your camera has an android app however, that will be able to install from the play store on it.

Yes you can copy the files from the cd to a flash drive etc. Just copy and paste using a file explorer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1