Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Furniture

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Furniture Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

The expense of having a kid continues . . . kitting out the bedroom is the next phase. We need to get him a cotbed and a wardrobe with drawers (ideally). I am a massive hater of chipboard; it's heavy, weak and I just dislike it, so IKEA etc. is out (and so is a lot of other stuff apparently). I want to get proper wooden furniture . . . but where do people recommend? The likes of oakfurnitureland or whatever its called seems to be sky high in prices, the other end of the spectrum is something off FB marketplace, gumtree etc. but it's a bit of a gamble, there's probably issues transporting it and it might need tarting up.

Are there any other retailers of solid wood furniture I should check out? Based in South Manchester.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a second-hand cot as the little person will out-grow it in no time at all. You'll know this has happened when you are watching telly downstairs and you hear a 'thump' followed by a cry...

The only other thing you'll need is a chest of drawers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:21 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Get a second-hand cot as the little person will out-grow it in no time at all. You'll know this has happened when you are watching telly downstairs and you hear a 'thump' followed by a cry...

The only other thing you'll need is a chest of drawers.

This.

Repeatedly

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers both. Any ideas of wardrobes? Same thing - second hand? I'm not fussy about such things, although the Mrs will probably want me to paint it or something.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find your local auction house and go down there. Solid wood furniture (usually the dark brown type) goes for pennies, really.

You can use as is (I actually like old dark furniture) or upcycle with a sander and paint (how wifie wants it).

You can really get some amazing bargains.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere near you will be a shop - possibly a charity attached to a church - that clears out old people's houses when they die and tries to sell the furniture. You may find some gems in there.

However, I would just get over the chipboard hate. Ikea stuff is cheap and safe, and will last long enough. You're kitting out a bedroom for a small person who will grow and break things, not buying furniture to last a lifetime. It also frequently pops up secondhand because everyone has it, and small people grow.

Safe is the main thing. Having a kid is basically committing yourself to spending the next decade on suicide watch. If there is any possibly way that furniture can fall over (possibly involving lego wedges and leverage) it needs to be fixed to the wall.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Safe is the main thing. Having a kid is basically committing yourself to spending the next decade on suicide watch

Try the next two decades. As they get older, they simply find different ways of potentially killing themselves...

One thing you will find invaluable as they leave the 'baby' stage is a big wooden blanket-box or similar for toys. You'll soon get fed up of putting them away neatly, and a big box with a hinged lid is safer than shelves as the worst the nipper can do is fall off it whereas shelves present an opportunity for climbing.

Furniture with rounded edges is the stuff to look for because they will throw themselves at anything with a corner... Thumbs Up

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:38 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a google for anyone making pine furniture in your area, i had a bespoke set of drawers made to use as a printer station, 2 drawers and stands 700mm high at a metre wide and 600mm in depth, it is solid and i put it on heavy duty castors to move it around, and paid under a hundred pounds inc delivery, you should be able to get something of a standard size for around that sort of price Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumtree. Schpock, Ebay.
Buying new stuff for your baby is a mugs game.
That's what relatives are for. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:56 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid wud furniture is expensive due to material cost, Manufacturing Cost and it is nice.

Mass production hammered prices but MDF Chip Block is cheaper and cheaper construction methods are used. (Those fecking hinges that are fitted into cabinets made of cheese.)

Auction houses Warrant Sales are your source.

And then you can refurb to freshen up. Strip it Paint it or Strip and wax seal it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

auction houses, I used to be a porter in one,

victorian furniture usually sells for the same price as the high end new flat pack crap, and is a thousand times better in my opinion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 08 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

However, I would just get over the chipboard hate. Ikea stuff is cheap and safe, and will last long enough. You're kitting out a bedroom for a small person who will grow and break things, not buying furniture to last a lifetime. It also frequently pops up secondhand because everyone has it, and small people grow.

This - no need to be an Ikea snob. We had a very useful item from them some kind of sideboard/chest of drawers thing that incorporated a (nappy) changing table - you'll be doing a lot of that. Lasted three kids and still looked good - sold it on eventually.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 08 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it it was like this but ours also had shelves above IIRC.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/sundvik-changing-table-chest-of-drawers-grey-brown-50424006/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:45 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local council housing department has a charity setup which sells second hand furniture and supplies furniture free for people who have none with the proceeds. You get good, solid old fashioned wood furniture for sweetie money.

The British Heart foundation also have used furniture shops you can get some good stuff in.

There isn't a stick of new furniture in my house.

If you want it painted rather than "brown wood", you can still get proper oil-based eggshell paint if you look for it. It comes in metal tins, if it's a plastic tin, it's not what you are looking for. Also look for the big, red "high VOC" logo on the label.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you want it painted rather than "brown wood", you can still get proper oil-based eggshell paint if you look for it. It comes in metal tins, if it's a plastic tin, it's not what you are looking for. Also look for the big, red "high VOC" logo on the label.

That's it - water-based gloss or eggshell is wank- in fact you'd be better off using your own wank.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The British Heart foundation also have used furniture shops you can get some good stuff in.

Often overpriced and filthy / damaged though.

They wanted between £250 to £400 for a dirty stinking second hand sofa. £25 for a damaged (deep scratches) bedside table that is £40 new in ikea.

I'd search ebay and FB

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:20 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Often overpriced and filthy / damaged though.

They wanted between £250 to £400 for a dirty stinking second hand sofa. £25 for a damaged (deep scratches) bedside table that is £40 new in ikea.

I'd search ebay and FB

Maybe depends where you are. I got two pine welsh dressers for £50 each, painted them eggshell cream and fitted wooden worktops and a belfast sink to one of them for free-standing kitchen worktops. Screwed one of the plateracks on the wall for a sheving unit. Full non-fitted kitchen for under £500.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. Sourced a cotbed from one of wifey's colleagues for a song, just need to hunt down a wardrobe type thing now.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1