Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question about vacuum/diaphragm fuel pumps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Question about vacuum/diaphragm fuel pumps Reply with quote

Do they allow fuel to pass through by gravity as normal when there is no vacuum applied?

I've noticed I get fuel flow issues on my 612 bullet when the tank is below half full (the engine is much closer to the tank than on a standard one so there is less head of pressure). I was thinking one of those little diaphragm pumps might give it an extra "push". It's not having to lift the fuel at all, just help it along.

It's especially an issue at idle, the idle circuit gets fussy if the carb isn't totally full and it can cut out. I think there isn't quite enough pressure to poke that last few mm of fuel in. It's am Amal MK1 concentric which are fankly a disaster area but I don't have the time and mental space to set up a Mikuni TM32 from scratch which is the ultimate aim.

My concern is it would need to allow fuel to flow when the engine isn't running because the carb needs to be tickled for it to start.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:44 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean normal vacuum-type fuel taps. If so, they should stop fuel flow entirely when there is no vacuum. Also a pain in the arse if you run an inline fuel filter below them meaning you have a big air bubble in the fuel supply side. They only seem happy with a constant supply of fuel on the wet side.

It sounds like you're dealing with the same problem as on the Honda NTV600/650 range, where the fuel tank isn't very far above the carbs. I would try an electric fuel pump and relay from one of them. Should give the correct fuel pressure, and if you copy Honda wiring then you won't cock it up.

You may also be able to solve the problem with a slightly weaker spring in the needle, or eliminating the inline filter (if fitted). They seem to make the fuel flow get a bit lazy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I assume you mean normal vacuum-type fuel taps.

No, a seperate vacuum fuel pump. They use them on scooters and I think quite a few yamahas. I was hoping to not add any electrical stuff, the alternator output is quite weedy because I have a crank mounted ignition with limited space for a coil (65W at full-chat).
https://www.catalyst-findit.co.uk/images/items/i1221_DF44-21_1Y.jpg

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it had a 500cc engine and you increased it to 612cc is that right? I would contact whoever you bought the upgrade kit from. This could be a common problem. They'll know what the best solution is.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:18 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same type of pump to regulate injection oil, works a treat , you can find them cheap in other places rather than off Allens

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth looking at it the other way: are there any places that might offer a restriction? Petcock, fuel pipe diameter, tight pipe bends, air flow into the tank (i.e. very slight airlock) that sort of thing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is it's an amal carb and they are -and always were- shite but all the enfield folks insist on using them. The height of the engine just makes the problem worse. You daren't mention this to any brit bike enthusiasts because they go off on one.

I think the main problem is inherant to the design, the float bowl fills from a spigot on the bottom meaning the fuel HAS to go down then back up into the carb. The needle valve closes by dropping down into its seat, not by being pushed up into the fuel flow like on a japanese carb. (the float see-saws, the needle is the opposite side of the pivot to the float). There is no spring on the needle, it's a solid piece with a viton tip.

It has an OMG fuel tap and a straight drop of red-line karting fuel hose to the carb. No inline filter, just the gauze in the tap and I removed the internal filter in the carb. The tank is POR15 lined anyway so no sources of rust and crap.

I had similar problems with an amal on my 350 bullet and as soon as I put the mikuni copy back on, they all went away. It's just setting one up for this bike with no point of reference will be a ball-ache. Fitting a mechanical fuel pump would be very simple.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:25 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a pump on , yes it will free flow and will also provide increased head the Amal should have no problem with it

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like someone wants to say "fuck you, purists!" and put a proper carb on Wink

I put a flat-slide on the DT. No kittens were killed in the process Smile

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Sounds to me like someone wants to say "fuck you, purists!" and put a proper carb on Wink

I put a flat-slide on the DT. No kittens were killed in the process Smile

I agree! if it's a known problem and the carb is the common factor change carbs Laughing Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partially took one apart on a 125 scoot which sucked fuel up from the
underslung/belly tank to supply a carb
From what I recall it worked in similar way to some electrical ones in that
instead of electrical pulses, it used the varying depression between carb and cylinder
to work a diaphragm which sucked/pumped the fuel.
I assumed as the induction pulse frequency increased with engine speed, so to would the
amount of fuel being delivered.

Not sure this type of pump would be the best at priming a carbs float chamber pre start
especially on a larger engine.
If it was used between gravity fed tank and carb, the weight of fuel might be enough to push its way past the two one way valves for some priming.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an aftermarket Mikuni vacuum pump on one of my Africa Twins. It lasted longer then the Mikuni electric type they come with as standard which used to average about 30,000 miles before dying.

The Mikuni vacuum pump was doing well right up until we had some unseasonably super hot weather mixed with slow riding when it started to play up. I then bought a Facet electric pump and it lasted the rest of the bike's life.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1