Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello, and another kit advice thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:03 - 24 Sep 2020    Post subject: Hello, and another kit advice thread. Reply with quote

Hello all.

Brief bio, mid 50’s, just got my bike licence having completed a 1 week course and I have - at present - no kit and no bike.

I suspect I will be looking at something a bit ‘Adventure’ as I am too much of a crocky old git for bending over a sports bike.

I’m planning a bit of shopping next week and could do with a bit of a steer.

Helmet. Hunting around the £200 mark. Prefer something that I can flip the front due to the antisocial nature of petrol stations etc. and not a fan of d-lock (?)

Jacket, no idea, it’s effin wet here so textile? Big fan of armour as I appear to be basically a big floppy meat-sack.

Trousers - ditto.

Boots, I’m a hobbit-footed gimp so I’m kind of tempted to go for summat like Sidi or Altberg but happy to change to something better, or cheaper and better!

Gloves? Do I need summer & winter or am I just better getting a bike with heated grips?

Anything else I need? Anywhere near Shrewsbury (+1.5 hours) that a must visit for kit (or indeed a pre-thrashed bike)?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: Hello, and another kit advice thread. Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Helmet. Hunting around the £200 mark. Prefer something that I can flip the front due to the antisocial nature of petrol stations etc. and not a fan of d-lock (?)

Ok, so helmets. This covers the basics -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmWBp65gbo

You want to go and try on lids in person (a pain in the covid-era, but not much you can do about that). You can be different sizes in different makes, and different makes can suit different head shapes too. Arai and AGV don't fit me for example. But given what you've mentioned, I'd probably have a look at Caberg helmets first. They do reasonably priced flip-fronts, and most are seatbelt fitting rather than d-lock.

Keithy wrote:
Jacket, no idea, it’s effin wet here so textile? Big fan of armour as I appear to be basically a big floppy meat-sack.

If you're only getting one set of gear to start with, get textiles. It's more versatile than leather and it's what most adventure riders wear anyway. Theres a vast range out there of jackets/trousers/boots so trying to give specific recommendations is hard. If you want to cut the options down, getting a copy of Ride magazine and using their "ride recommended" selection isn't a terrible idea. I'd still say to try gear on and sit on a bike when you're wearing it to make sure it's comfortable. Try to get jacket/trousers as a set so they'll easily zip together. I've got a set of TCX Infinity boots which are adventure style and have served me very well for years now.

Keithy wrote:
Gloves? Do I need summer & winter or am I just better getting a bike with heated grips?

The reason to have seperate winter gloves isn't just the warmth, its also the waterproof. Lightweight summer (but still leather) gloves will have better feel than bulky waterproof/thinsulate type winter ones. There's other options (heated grips/muffs etc.) though if you just want to get just one set.

Keithy wrote:
Anything else I need?

Earplugs, if you don't have any decent ones.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmets are all about fit so going to a shop is the best option, although it might be a slightly different experience in the current climate so best to call ahead.

J&S Northwich is just over an hour from Shrewsbury and is massive. They're not the cheapest but their range is huge; it's like a supermarket. I'd say it's a good place to start as you'll be able to try stuff on and get a feel for things.

Bill Smith in Chester is a pretty sound bike dealer; make a trip of it and call in after J&S.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:58 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the anti-social petrol station thing - try not to sweat that; I've never been asked in all my years. Others have, and it is a thing, but a lot less common than you'd think.

Agree with what Bhud said in terms of textiles over leathers. More versatile / practical in general.

There's a YouTube channel called Fortnine where the guy does lots of practical tests of clothing, helmets, the lot really - and he tends to be pretty good at nailing the key points:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNSMdQtn1SuFzCZjfK2C7dQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket and Trowsers definatly recomend Textiles I use RST I ride in all weathers a 20 mile commute to work
Get kit that is loose over normal were so you can add layers I sue micro fleese two or three thin layers is king OK i cheat and have a heated jacket for the coldest days

Helmet I agree Flip front wins light colour makes you visable I use bright yellow or white

Boots proper bike boots OK me I use Altbrg Hogg lace up but??

Bike wise go look at lots see what suits you but make sure unless you are DIY mindes there a workshop that can will work on it near by !

Me currently Honda NC750Xdct and MSX125 grom !
Workshop is easy I run one and was oridgnly Suzuki trained

Cosider post test training it helps ! driving a car really dosn't !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips are the best fifty quid I ever spent (all year commuter).

Boots, comes down to what you can afford, best I've had are:

TCX Infinity, more or less the industry benchmark for decent sensibly priced boots, and GoreTex lined. Bit on the clumpy side though.

The gold standard are Daytona, and if you can stand parting with a lot of gold they're unbeatable.

Jacket/trousers, anything GoreTex will be genuinely waterproof and good quality, Gore Corp. wont let manufactures use their material to make tat. Ridiculously expensive though. I got my last jacket/trousers second hand off Ebay, hundred quid the lot, would have been nearer eight hundred new. Ebay is your friend.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:29 - 29 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Zen Dog, thanks for your advice. I tried Caberg but they seem to be tight on the chin. Alas I may have fallen for the old ‘you may as well try on a premium helmet while you are here, see if you can tell the difference’ so the Shoei is now a tempting proposition.

@ThunderGuts, thanks for that, I’ll be adding them to my list. Monday I headed out towards Macclesfield for a shopping trip. Half way there had a call from them, come along by all means but no trying on kit and don’t sit on a bike. Turned around and went to Worcester where I had a much better reception!

@arry cheers mate, will check out Youtube. Think I will still go flip as it is easy to get some air Smile

@davebike thanks mate, going white with the helmet. Bike-wise the ER6-F seems to suit my falling over paranoia as I can get feet down flat on both sides Smile but the Aprilia Shiver and Ducati Hypermotard speak to my irrational side.

@Andy_Pagin ended up with trousers that are laminated? We shall see! I keep my eye out for heated grips, didn’t realise it was that cheap to get fitted!

Thank all for replying, realised after that, no surprise, I wasn’t really asking anything new and there were two or three similar threads already, so I appreciate it can be a bit repetitive for you all.

I think I am 90% there (apart from earplugs, and I know I have read a review somewhere of plugs that cut out engine noise but you can still hear speech, does that sound feasible?) so no doubt a ‘What bike?’ thread will be next!*

* I’ll read the other ones first.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

I think I am 90% there (apart from earplugs, and I know I have read a review somewhere of plugs that cut out engine noise but you can still hear speech, does that sound feasible?)

I just use 32dB De Walt ones (or might be 3M - I forget). They work just fine to be honest, even with an intercom in the helmet, are cheap and can be re-used a few times before I need to replace them (they're supposed to be single use but if they're clean and they still expand well from being compressed I see no need to chuck them for no reason). For getting started I wouldn't worry about getting the fancy ones, just having earplugs at all will be a revelation if you haven't ridden with them previously.

On what bike . . . I would suggest at this stage you probably don't know what you want, even if you think you do. My recommendation would be to get something fairly "neutral" as a first bike, so nothing extreme like a full on sports bike / heavyweight tourer / adventure bike etc...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

I think I am 90% there (apart from earplugs, and I know I have read a review somewhere of plugs that cut out engine noise but you can still hear speech, does that sound feasible?

Engine noise isn't the problem - wind noise is; and some wind 'noise' is actually silent as in you can't hear it, but it's damaging your ears anyway.

Best thing to do in the early days is get a 'mixed pack' of foamies off eBay. Try them all out, see what you like / don't like and make decisions from there.

I always used to swear by my custom moulded hard urethane plugs but over the years my ear canals changed shape I reckon, so they lost their effectiveness. I've swapped to Flare Audio plugs now and they're so quiet it's lovely. Difficult to hear people talking with lid on mind, but I'd rather than than more tinnitus.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear plugs for sure. Wind noise is very damaging and the older you are the worse it affects you.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:20 - 30 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the article I was looking for - Auritech are the earplugs I had heard about. Anyone use them?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 01 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
@Zen Dog, thanks for your advice. I tried Caberg but they seem to be tight on the chin. Alas I may have fallen for the old ‘you may as well try on a premium helmet while you are here, see if you can tell the difference’ so the Shoei is now a tempting proposition.

At least you know they aren't suitable now. Thumbs Up Shoei's are good helmets, I've got one as my current lid, but they're way overpriced these days. There are loads of flip fronts from other makes though if you don't want to spank all your cash on that, HJC are pretty solid generally, for example. Oh, one other thing, make sure whatever you get comes with, or is compatible with, a pinlock. Setup right, they're fantastic and well worth having.

Keithy wrote:
Just found the article I was looking for - Auritech are the earplugs I had heard about. Anyone use them?

I haven't tried them I'm afraid. Most earplugs claiming to let you hear everything you want and nothing you don't have been snake oil, in my experience, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. As arry says, I'd recommend getting the tester packs of different earplugs off eBay or Amazon. Like lids, some will fit you and some won't, and the only real way to find out is to try them.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:45 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do don't fanny about with drop liner textiles. Get something laminated. You'll thank me after your first ride in the rain. Drop liner styles absorb water, wet out and become very heavy and very cold. They also take an age to dry out properly. Oxfords range is relatively cheap at the moment (sub £500 for jacket and trousers together).

If you have the money go for heated gloves. Nothing else comes close for stopping the pain (yes pain) of riding with cold hands.

There is nothing better than Altberg with respect of protection, warmth, support and waterproofing.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
If you have the money go for heated gloves. Nothing else comes close for stopping the pain (yes pain) of riding with cold hands.

I'd have to say pain would very much depend on the person and their blood circulation. If you suffer from the cold more, and you know about it, then I'd say as many heated elements as possible; or don't ride in the cold for extended periods where possible.

Personally I don't remember pain, per se, but more numbness and a sense of gambling with if I could or couldn't control the bike after the cold had hit me a few miles into the commute -- when I rode without heated grips, or gloves. Using the exhaust as a hand warmer for short periods where possible always helped.

Heated gloves are grand, but expensive. The RST ones, from memory, only heat the top of the hands mostly -- not sure how other brands compare. I prefer battery powered ones because less wires. I'd use heated gloves in conjunction with heated grips, and between the two I'd go with heated grips and hand-guards (if possbile) as you'd come out cheaper than heated gloves; and you could even get a pair of waterproof gloves and still have change left over.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:17 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

I'd have to say pain would very much depend on the person and their blood circulation. If you suffer from the cold more, and you know about it, then I'd say as many heated elements as possible; or don't ride in the cold for extended periods where possible.

Personally I don't remember pain, per se, but more numbness and a sense of gambling with if I could or couldn't control the bike after the cold had hit me a few miles into the commute -- when I rode without heated grips, or gloves. Using the exhaust as a hand warmer for short periods where possible always helped.

Heated gloves are grand, but expensive. The RST ones, from memory, only heat the top of the hands mostly -- not sure how other brands compare. I prefer battery powered ones because less wires. I'd use heated gloves in conjunction with heated grips, and between the two I'd go with heated grips and hand-guards (if possbile) as you'd come out cheaper than heated gloves; and you could even get a pair of waterproof gloves and still have change left over.

I think it's as much as when I used to come out of the cold and get Chilblains. I've tried Bar Muffs, Thick winter gloves, heated grips etc and none come close to my Gerbing Microwire.

On full blast at national speeds they are almost too warm. Absolute lifesaver. I ride all year round and need something to give me warmth and safety whilst also maintaining dexterity. Once you factor in the cost of good winter/waterproof gloves, heated grips and muffs/guards your're well into heated glove territory. All I use now on the BMW are the heated grips and the Gerbings. I don't have grips on the Honda as with the dashcam and the gloves I'm not sure the electricity supply could take it but the Gerbings make it more than manageable in freezing temperatures.

What I cannot fathom is people who spend well over £200 on so called winter gloves with no heating at all. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, should anyone be interested or looking at this thread to see what others have done...

Boots - RST paragon II
Trousers - Spada laminate
Gloves - RST thermal lined
Jacket - Spada Marrakesh
Lid - went mad and got Shoei

I have very limited experience of kit, but the Jacket is more comfortable than the BMW kit I have used before and the Shoei helmet is a much quieter and more comfortable place than any previously experienced.

Got some Auritech earplugs too.

All I need now is, errr, .....a bike.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Boots - RST paragon II

Should last a year or two before they need replacing. Similarly made to the Trachtech Evo's (slightly more protection / sportier look), but you'll find that most of RST's kit is similar to each other.

Keithy wrote:
Gloves - RST thermal lined

Keep an eye on eBay. Always used pairs of RST's around if the saving is wroth it if you fancy a second pair. Sizing is mostly always the same IME in the brand.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dab radio and ear buds, fuck the ear plugs. I can listen to absolute radio.

Oh, if you have any plans to ride in winter, spada enforcer gloves.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:16 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nobby, averse to music when driving/riding, it’s ‘cos I’m an old git. TBH I’m not totally on board with ear plugs but after 4 days on a thumpy BMW I was surprised how quiet my car had become.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Keithy wrote:
Boots - RST paragon II

Should last a year or two before they need replacing. Similarly made to the Trachtech Evo's (slightly more protection / sportier look), but you'll find that most of RST's kit is similar to each other.

I've got these at the moment and have had them for just over 2 years so far; seem to be wearing well. There's a tiny bit of delamination of the toe box but it seemed to go a little bit within 6 months then nothing happened after that. They're waterproof and comfortable, plus give good feel to the controls. My RST gloves (can't remember the model) fell apart within a year, but they have a 1 or maybe 2 year warranty so were sorted out without issue (J&S).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1