Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW R18 - BMW do a ..... Harley?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: BMW R18 - BMW do a ..... Harley? Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/bmw-r18-review-first-ride/

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/AemAN/s1/2021-bmw-r-18---venice.jpg

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/444740/first-ride-review-2021-bmw-r-18/

But it seems they'd done it without actually aiming at Harley. Which is odd, because they've made the engine deliberately short of oomph it would seem Laughing 89bhp?! Laughing

Handling sounds typically Harley - scraping pegs at even moderate speeds and shufting around 350kg with fuel in it; yup, got that one nailed.

Footpeg position, not very Harley like though - I guess the heads get in the way of proper boards.

£19,000 - so by the time you've thrown some options at it you're in for £20k plus. Yowsers.

What got me, is within the MCN review it says ride it like an oversized RNineT and you'll have loads of fun. Can't help but feel you'd just buy the RNineT instead?

Customising base special for weirdy beardies and man-bun equipped hipsters? Most likely....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

350!? Eeeek! Much as I love cruisers it's always the weight that puts me off Sad

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one. I think it looks incredible.

89hp, but with a rev limit of about 5000rpm. Lots of thuddy torque.

Very much aimed at Harley. Harley's latest strategy (unless they've changed again, I haven't looked for a fortnight) is to focus on their core market. Ageing accountants and dentists who will shell out $20-30k on a big twin.

Seeing as a lot of these people already own a large German car, BMW should be knocking on an open door.

It will be interesting to see how Harley respond. With Long Way Up about to air, they could sell all the electric bikes they want if they had something for sale at £15k. They will probably shift a load of their new Chinese (I think) made 388s if they get the styling right.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... if BMW's marketing department were smart they'd have one of these in every high-end car show room.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

350KG? At that point, you may as well just buy a sodding 'wing and be done with it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venice Beach, not Venice, Italy. More fool me

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a review of this:

https://youtu.be/XA4J2IgeaQA

7mins in and scraped the foot pegs a few times - on quite leisurely bends - it's a no from me.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just seen a review of this:

https://youtu.be/XA4J2IgeaQA

7mins in and scraped the foot pegs a few times - on quite leisurely bends - it's a no from me.

Crikey - that's barely off-straight Shocked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
350KG? At that point, you may as well just buy a sodding 'wing and be done with it.

And have a much much much better bike that does actually handle, go round corners and play Vivaldi when posing down whichever Venice. Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's slightly less ugly than their last go

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/bmw/r1200c/1997/

But they didn't exactly fly off the showroom floor, I wonder if someone who is likely to buy a Harley would look at a BMW, or vice versa.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I suppose it's slightly less ugly than their last go

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/bmw/r1200c/1997/

But they didn't exactly fly off the showroom floor, I wonder if someone who is likely to buy a Harley would look at a BMW, or vice versa.

That one was horrible. At least the one in the OP looks more like a BMW of old. Well, they are both black Laughing

https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_slider/public/import/articlesv2/images/_de/8227/BMW_R50_2_01pop.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Re: BMW R18 - BMW do a ..... Harley? Reply with quote

arry wrote:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/bmw-r18-review-first-ride/

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/AemAN/s1/2021-bmw-r-18---venice.jpg

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/444740/first-ride-review-2021-bmw-r-18/

But it seems they'd done it without actually aiming at Harley. Which is odd, because they've made the engine deliberately short of oomph it would seem Laughing 89bhp?! Laughing

Handling sounds typically Harley - scraping pegs at even moderate speeds and shufting around 350kg with fuel in it; yup, got that one nailed.

Footpeg position, not very Harley like though - I guess the heads get in the way of proper boards.

£19,000 - so by the time you've thrown some options at it you're in for £20k plus. Yowsers.

What got me, is within the MCN review it says ride it like an oversized RNineT and you'll have loads of fun. Can't help but feel you'd just buy the RNineT instead?

Customising base special for weirdy beardies and man-bun equipped hipsters? Most likely....

Man-Buns need their very own section @bcf.

Stinkers/Ste any thoughts? (After the bcf app is launched of course.)

Murican market will snap these up.

If a bike brand can make something look like what the market want then they'll get some return on the investment.
BMW don't deal in longevity/reliability now, they want fast $/€/£.
As most profit driven entities do.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:11 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have managed to out-Harley Harley in a few key places:
1. The engine is bigger. Not in all case, and not by much, but Harley are pushing the 1750cc (107ci) on their cheaper big twins, with 1870cc (114ci) being an expensive option. BMW is 1800cc, and I expect they will do a big bore 2 litre soon enough.
2. Invisible softail. It's more invisible than the Harley frame. Seems an odd thing to aim for (for some people, it appeals to me), but they want to emulate a pre-war hardtail. Long and low, with a single frame line going from headstock to rear wheel.
3. They are going a very thick accessory catalogue, and encouraging aftermarket suppliers to make stuff for it. This is significant. Someone is going to want to spend £10k putting girder forks on it, and someone else is going to make them.
4. Conversely to 3, there will be an expectation that this will provide good performance out of the box and not require the "Harley tax". This is something equally loved and loathed by Harley owners, that you need to spend approx 10-20% of the purchase price of the bike on basic tuning (exhausts, air filter, ECU) to get the power back that emissions-compliant stuff removed. It's a uniquely Harley thing, so shouldn't be required here.
5. You can see the front of the engine, the oil cooler stays low down and out of the way. New Harleys have water cooled exhaust valves, which means having a rad between the front frame rails. It isn't popular.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That oil cooler couldn't be in a more stupid place for attracting stones, road grime etc. Plus it looks even more out of place than anything between the down tubes.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 23 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That oil cooler couldn't be in a more stupid place for attracting stones, road grime etc. Plus it looks even more out of place than anything between the down tubes.

If you pay 300-400/per annum for BMW's extended warranty, then you can relax and just ignore the lapse in BMW Designer's common sense

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine was one of the first to get a test ride of a demo yesterday (I was meant to go with but ended up delayed and caught up later).

His thoughts....(taken from his FB message)

Kieran wrote:
Lots of small issues make it seem like less of a well built intuitive BMW we expect now. They add up.
That one had reverse, special headlight, heated grips....Still felt under equipped for 21000 pounds.
No fuel gauge or anything either, 21000!!
Most annoyingly, it's branded a cruiser, but the last thing I did was cruise.
It's more comfortable being thrown around like a bigger nine t than chill cruising, doesn't even have cruise control!
Feels like they didn't quite no where to land on what it should be.
My 14000 pound fat bob was just about the money, this, with ALL the options, is less equipped and honestly doesn't feel like a well built BMW, the dial flops around at 50 plus mph, the side stand gets pushed when shifting down and for some reason, a dedicated traction control button...ON A CRUISER Instead of a cruise control option...Who thought that was the right choice!?!?

He also mentioned about having to 'slot' his foot between the cylinder head and foot peg (sounded a bit sketchy to me in the event of an off).

https://i.imgur.com/Rp9s7RI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZrkhSPR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QrAr3YT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jutUbAY.jpg

Just looking at pictures of it shocks me that its £21k.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Interesting comments and photos. ^^^

Stupid really but I didn't realise how offset the cylinders were. That would really piss me off. It was never as obvious on the Goldwings with their boxer engines. Plus I had footboards and a heel/toe gear change on one of my Wings which you certainly couldn't fit on that.

And again on looks, my view is that engine just doesn't look right aesthetically in that sort of bike.

For that sort of money, if I was going to buy a cruiser, Id rather the new Rocket 3 or even a Mk2 V max (if they still make them).

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/media/3191751/mc199810_valk01_01001H.jpg?width=640&upscale=false

If its got to be a boxer and cruiser then I think this did it Thumbs Up

Wish they'd done an 1100 version with the ST1100 motor, missed opportunity I thought for Honda (a super sabre or magna).

I've got a video file of the R18 running too, I'll see if I can get it up on Youtube, but didn't sound that impressive (like a slower quieter jet turbine).

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:36 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:

Ok, so, assuming you put this thing in a parking space, but with 2 cars parked either side.

How much of a gargantuan task is it going to be, just to get the sodding thing pointed the right way, without a 78 point turn in the main thoroughfare ?

Or do cruiser owners not worry about that sort of thing ?, Is it too much of a toy to worry about the practical applications ?

I'll be honest, pivoting my bike around 180 degrees balanced on its side stand, can be an absolute lifesaver when your living with a bike daily ....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Moxey wrote:

Ok, so, assuming you put this thing in a parking space, but with 2 cars parked either side.

How much of a gargantuan task is it going to be, just to get the sodding thing pointed the right way, without a 78 point turn in the main thoroughfare ?

Or do cruiser owners not worry about that sort of thing ?, Is it too much of a toy to worry about the practical applications ?

I'll be honest, pivoting my bike around 180 degrees balanced on its side stand, can be an absolute lifesaver when your living with a bike daily ....

Awaaaay.....

Cruiser Twats Live for Parking Opportunities.

They adore being Centre of Attention with a crowd watching.

And if no one is paying attention to them then they have the Blip Device built onto the handlebar.

If HD could manage to make their two-stroke Diesels idle better than their machines would be easier for their fans to park.
They even have issues on level ground.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:

It can be specced with reverse gear.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If HD could manage to make their two-stroke Diesels idle better than their machines would be easier for their fans to park.

You know what? If someone built some sort of Detroit Diesel into a bike, I'd actually give serious consideration to buying it. Won't happen though, (emissions) and even less likely to be HD doing it as it would actually be interesting.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory Reid being a bit of a pillock on one.

https://twitter.com/MrRoryReid/status/1314900885135392769?s=20
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1