Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front mudguard complete.

The mudguard was too far gone - the chrome completely compromised, with lots of holes, and seized to the steel inner fork brace. I cut it off, and saved what I could of the good part of the metal. Drilled new holes in it to fit the fork brace. Wire wheel took off the rust, then the surface of the metal was stabilised with an HG product. Several coats of Simoniz Black Underguard all over the underneath and top of both parts. Reassembled and fitted to forks with new zinc-plated bolts.

https://i.ibb.co/MPgr9XL/front-mudguard-complete.png

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted it with glasses ready for the spring when my local highway authority starts spreading chippings on the roads I need to ride on and all the cars fly about peppering my expensive headlights.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few bits and pieces put together on the project bike.

Wheels, swingarm, rear brake, shocks, carburettor, speedo and tacho cables, rebuilt forks all back in place. Rear mudguard removed by cutting off the mounting bolts (another rusty horror). Wiring wired up. All fasteners are still loose at this point.

Discovered I need a couple of shock absorber mounting bolts, and that the front brake has seized. Also discovered I'd prefer a different headlight and indicators all around. It will probably be modified, but will not get any irreversible mods.

https://i.ibb.co/vcWhLRy/16oct.png

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold, damp track day at Mallory Park.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:46 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Earlier there was someone complaining on the No Limits facebook group about not getting their money's worth. Any ideas what that was all about? I'm guessing a lot of red flags?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple red flags and both ambulances going to hospital.

The weather was a little pants and with delays and uncertainty of when they'd be back I called it a day at lunch time.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new carburetor float time! A friend of mine found one on alichinaexpress for next to nothing (about $3 USD), compared to the OEM part (cmsnl asks € 29.50), so I'm gonna give it a go. Both floats look identical and both weight exactly 7g. The original float was cracked, fuel leaking inside, making it useless. The previous owner's work.

I couldn't test if this new float works yet, I'm still working on the fuel tap, or rather waiting for spare parts. The previous owner removed all the filters/screens from the tap = dirt from the tank cloging up the carburetor. But, I did asemble the carburetor and put it back where it belongs. BTW, my mate ''drained'' and glued the old float and I'm gonna put it in petrol to see if his glue does the job, just in case the new ''chinese'' float fails and I won't be willing to pay the money for the OEM part. It's not like I've got any means of testing buoyancy of the float, though.

Either way, I've spent some quality time working on my bike today. Thumbs Up

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_20201016_174947.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_20201016_174956.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:09 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parked it beside her Vannexe which annoyed MCW immensely 🤣

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped, cleaned and put back together the front calipers on the Viffer. Fresh red rubber grease etc. Cured the clicking I'd been getting as well.

Adjusted tension on the new chain and oiled it. Slipped and accidentally installed the shouty can now I'm no longer leaving at 05:30 for work.

https://i.imgur.com/cPqDDewl.jpg

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project bike stuff. Can't get air filters in that size any more, so I tore out the paper element from the old one and glued in some automotive foam filter material. This went back in the airbox.

Footpeg hanger fitted with generic new footpegs. They looked nice, but in the end I had to remove them and fit the old footpegs, as the angle is slightly wrong. I'll see what I can do about these, later. Fitted the footpeg hanger to the bike using new 8.8 bolts.

Additionally, the exhaust was fitted. That's all for today.

https://i.ibb.co/cYZZ844/17oct-1.png

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Front tyre on my CBF, too much wear on the disc side and there was evidence of cracking. This will be my second PR5, the first one lasted 2 years. I also had the oil changed, Motul oil and a HiFlow filter,

Next week, replacing the Rear PR4 for a PR5.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something so stupidly simple .... rotated the Givi Tanklock mount 180 degrees which has moved the bag forward almost 2 inches on the tank ( doesn't foul the bars or obstruct the clocks) and now most importantly doesn't foul me either.

Was getting piss sick of being forced to stretch over it like some kind of tortured ape and there's no smaller tank lock bags available.b Funny how a small change in riding position can make so much positive difference.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went round the block on the ol' DT, blow the cobwebs out. Spiders not best pleased Smile

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Not the most dynamic body positon, but the bike at least looks the part.

Laughing

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/downloadz_161020_1846_mallory.jpg

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold it.

As much as I loved the little bandit it was purely through rose tinted glasses.

The ride back from my brothers crippled me for 2 days after. It was fun to restore and it's gone to an old boy who promised not to cafe racer it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rode the tits off it since Thursday Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and I bought it a battery Rolling Eyes
Bit of an incident with a dead battery, but its all solved somewhat expensively now.
Fuck it.

Oh yeah, and ALSO I
* watched whilst the battery was installed, so I got Instruction and at least now I know what a swine it will be to get in and out if needs be.
* I also got told off for not doing my air pressures often enough, so I made a commitment to buy myself a tyre pumping up device, and
* I got a lecture about cleaning it (yes yes <impatient> )

What else Thinking

I know I grumble about 'imself down in Amesbury, but he's alright sometimes. His heart's in the right place, the old duffer. And he's unbelievably knowledgeable, some of it must rub off by osmosis onto me, and his technical knowledge is impressive, and enthusiasm for bikes is in his DNA.

I asked quite a lot of questions, and soaked up quite a lot of what is probably really super-basic stuff to you guys, but I felt like I was paying attention and learning about my bike.

Its just all the tutting I can't cope with. My whole St Trinians act regarding being devil-may-care about bikes is really very naughty of me, I just ... haven't taken it seriously way back when I should.

I know, I know Rolling Eyes
I should have learned this years ago Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I am, now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it to a place to get new tyres, Bridgestone S22.

That new tyre feeling, it's like Christmas as a kid Very Happy ......obviously not 2020 Christmas.

https://i.imgur.com/rn9NPAS.jpg

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain and sprockets and new battery fitted.

Engine mounting, chassis and wheel bolts torqued up.

Filled with oil. Attempted to start engine and... it works. Actually runs nicely.
Doesn't idle properly, but I'll sort that out later.

Tank is currently being treated with Tank Cure. It will get also get a new fuel tap.

To do list: new drum brake springs (as these are too weak, causing binding). Service front brake caliper. Plus minor stuff (indicators, rear mudguard, gear shift lever, etc.)

https://i.ibb.co/QJfbXwr/chain-sprockets-battery-fitted-1-PNG.png

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed an engine bar, and broke my impact gun (somehow) in the process. Yay.

Now I just need to crash so it matches the other side. Very Happy

https://i.postimg.cc/3N79HRGH/ER5CL.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd the Viffer -
One advisory, "exhaust noisy" Twisted Evil Wink . He still had to double check the mileage (117K), gets him every time. They also had an Enfield with an outfit which they look to be doing as a rolling advertisement.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out the Indian standard for stainless is similar to our standard for Cheddar.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50522670013_b3a6f57ab4_h.jpg

Metal was so soft the drill literally went in like a hot knife through butter. The first extractor then just reamed out more metal, I ended up having to go a size up and adding pressure at a bit of an angle to get it to bite properly.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50522669373_7481b03eb9_h.jpg

Was going to then fit the new tyres but came down with a severe dose of can't be arsed, bike can live on axle stands for a bit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank's getting there

https://i.ibb.co/MNp5HQN/tank-depaint-small.png

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, new PR5 front, this week, matching Rear was fitted. I also had my chain and sprockets replaced.

A little note here about the chain and sprocket set.

The sprockets (JT) that came off today had been on for 30000, originally fitted with a SWIFT chain which lasted only 9000, so I did a naughty and just replaced the chain with a DID VX (xring) chain. I only changed the kit because I was having a new tyre plus I was getting some clonking sound from the front sprocket.

Oh and I've just paid £17.50 to amend my annual mileage on bikes, I was down to my last 3000 miles which will last me till renewal. I did this because unlike many bikers I'm honest.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out how the noisy alarm works.
With a bit of helpful instruction Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 391 of 409