Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Quote:
I've had to learn to live with the possibility of severe illness or even death from flu, pneumonia and other bugs since having my spleen removed.

Do you take precautions, or do you live your life like you still have a spleen?

I'm supposed to have a pneumococcal jab every 5 years Shifty I really ought to get flu jabs too Shifty And I'm supposed to take antibiotics every day since turning 50 Shifty

But feck it, I'm isolated anyway.

Look after you and yours and live your life. They might press the pause button, but your clock is still ticking down.
What I don't do is live in fear.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 17:13 - 15 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Quote:
I've had to learn to live with the possibility of severe illness or even death from flu, pneumonia and other bugs since having my spleen removed.

Do you take precautions, or do you live your life like you still have a spleen?

I'm supposed to have a pneumococcal jab every 5 years Shifty I really ought to get flu jabs too Shifty And I'm supposed to take antibiotics every day since turning 50 Shifty

But feck it, I'm isolated anyway.

Look after you and yours and live your life. They might press the pause button, but your clock is still ticking down.

Is the pneumococcal jab different for people with their spleen removed? I'm curious because I had that about 5 years ago and was told it's once for life.

But as for the flu jab, silly man Laughing Go get one - I had mine last week Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Is the pneumococcal jab different for people with their spleen removed? I'm curious because I had that about 5 years ago and was told it's once for life.

Dunno, they told me every 5 years, and I've had it a couple of times since 1991. Can't remember when my last one was, but it was definitely over 5 years ago.

Edited to add: I don't know why you had a pneumococcal jab. As far as I'm aware, it isn't something that everybody has.
Last I heard, the functions of the spleen were not fully understood, but one thing that seems to be accepted is that it plays a vital role in the immune system, and especially where fighting pneumonia is concerned. So yes, if you have your spleen removed, things are different than for those who still have the fully functioning organ.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Even if we get a vaccine, chances are some will still be at risk. But you live your life anyway. What else can you do in that situation? Should I have sat indoors, isolated, since 1991 when they cut bits out of me? A daft proposition.

As well will Covid turn out to be like Flu. So someone has to make a educated guess each year on what to strain give out each year.

Despite the most at risk groups being vaccinated each year, thousands still die.
We just have to live with it.

All you can do is protect yourself as best as possible.

As bikers we are well used to the mantra "Everyone else is out to kill us" We now have to apply that to the rest of the hours off the bike Shocked

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://covid19.innouveau.com/#/timeline/?map=Europe ''enjoy''

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a7W6G0e_460sv.mp4

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but 5hat map is shite. My whole country is barely registering 35 cases in 100,000 but islets showing as red at most recent snapshot.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Sorry but 5hat map is shite. My whole country is barely registering 35 cases in 100,000 but islets showing as red at most recent snapshot.

Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles look wrong but I put that down to the map not being large enough to show proper detail.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:30 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

SARS-COVID-2 has created a lottery win for Anti-Vaxers and conspiracy theorists.
I'm so confident that our governments have their finger on the pulse. (Look like they are using thumbs though.)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
SARS-COVID-2 has created a lottery win for Anti-Vaxers and conspiracy theorists.
I'm so confident that our governments have their finger on the pulse. (Look like they are using thumbs though.)

The threat is real this time (EDIT: or rather well visible), or so it seems. I bet 5 quid, that anti vaxxers are gonna fail their beliefs and get vaccinated against it, if they ''have to'', and they won't even think about it a second. Thinking

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most sinister development so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aeNGTbbMU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty,!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc0Di09w04o

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This popped up on my news feed.....

Coronavirus: Police get access to NHS Test and Trace self-isolation data

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood no personal data was collected and it wasm't possible to identify people from the app. Obviously this isn't so.

That's the death knell for it then. Anyone working is going to delete it immediately in case they have to self isolate and lose their income.

How to shoot yourselves in the foot me thinks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54586897

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
This popped up on my news feed.....

Coronavirus: Police get access to NHS Test and Trace self-isolation data

So, if the voluntary approach does not seem to work, what else is there to do? Thinking

In the begining of all this, all the Czech citizens who were returning back home from holiday in Italy, Spain and some other destinations had mandatory 14 days quarantine, they were supposed to tell their GP and then stay at home. The credit card companies then released anonymised data about the usage of the credit cards of those people. A rather alarming percentage of these people in quarantine made several pruchases in those 14 days with their credit cards all over their home towns, including paying for leasure activites, such as cinema tickes, pools, bars etc. Many people wouldn't even visit their GP after returning from abroad, even though they had all the symptoms. They just went to work.

Once again it's those few irresponsible ones that will define the new standard for the whole society.

Which reminds me, my boss sent everyone at work a memo last week, that he demands (his words) every employee to install the covid app on their phones and use it. I don't know how this app works yet, but as it seems it's the user who puts the data in, so what's the point?

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 11:11 - 18 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I bet 5 quid, that anti vaxxers are gonna fail their beliefs and get vaccinated against it, if they ''have to'', and they won't even think about it a second. Thinking

I saw an amusing conspiracy theory that the vaccination was just an opportunity to implant microchips for covert track and trace. So, if you're rolling up your sleeve and the nurse grabs you by the scruff of the neck instead, you'll know.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Which reminds me, my boss sent everyone at work a memo last week, that he demands (his words) every employee to install the covid app on their phones and use it. I don't know how this app works yet, but as it seems it's the user who puts the data in, so what's the point?

Conversely, I've instructed (about a month ago) that the app is not to be added to the app store where I work - our work phones can only install apps from our store. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood no personal data was collected and it wasm't possible to identify people from the app. Obviously this isn't so.

That's the death knell for it then. Anyone working is going to delete it immediately in case they have to self isolate and lose their income.

It's not about the app, the article explains what it is and isn't about.

"Police will not have access to data from the NHS Covid-19 app. The app is anonymous so the government does not know who has been sent instructions to self-isolate."

It's about people who're contacted by the trace and trace system after their details were given to the track and trace thing by someone who has tested positive

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone working is going to delete it immediately in case they have to self isolate and lose their income.

I don't know anyone self-employed, myself included, who ever got the app - for this very reason...

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like a lot of flu deaths and cases are being mixed in with covid, this is rather damning.
Note the scale is different it's even worse/better than it looks.
2019 was below average too if anything.

https://i.postimg.cc/Kj5rkxF9/flu.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Conversely, I've instructed (about a month ago) that the app is not to be added to the app store where I work - our work phones can only install apps from our store. Laughing

Today, I asked my colleagues if they've installed the app already. They all told me the work phones run Android 5 and that the app needs at least Android 6, so it's new work phones time, I guess. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Islander wrote:

Today, I asked my colleagues if they've installed the app already. They all told me the work phones run Android 5 and that the app needs at least Android 6, so it's new work phones time, I guess. Laughing

My reasoning for forbidding it was mostly based on our security requirements which mean that Bluetooth is disabled by policy coupled with the fact that folk are more likely to come into contact with the virus during social interactions (loads of our staff are WFH) rather than work so it would be better on their personal phones and that, of course, is a matter for the individual to decide. Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

But as for the flu jab, silly man Laughing Go get one - I had mine last week Razz

It's not usually good to take a small sample size and extrapolate it up. But that said.

My parents had this years flu jab and were throwing up the next day, all day.
Their neighbour had it and collapsed 24 hours later, was unresponsive for 5-10 minutes and an ambulance was called (took them to hospital, but all the usual checks came back with nothing suspect and were ok a few days later).
A week later and my cousin had the jab.....24 hours later ambulance called as they collapsed (again given the all clear and fine a few days later).

I've never heard of incidents following the flu jab beyond people feeling a bit unwell / having mild flu like symptoms.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

It's not usually good to take a small sample size and extrapolate it up. But that said.

My parents had this years flu jab and were throwing up the next day, all day.
Their neighbour had it and collapsed 24 hours later, was unresponsive for 5-10 minutes and an ambulance was called (took them to hospital, but all the usual checks came back with nothing suspect and were ok a few days later).
A week later and my cousin had the jab.....24 hours later ambulance called as they collapsed (again given the all clear and fine a few days later).

I've never heard of incidents following the flu jab beyond people feeling a bit unwell / having mild flu like symptoms.

A slightly sore arm is normal. Sometimes a slight fever and/or aches can be an immune reaction but anything more is really unusual. I haven't heard of any severe reactions here (my OH works for the local GP and she'd let me know if there were problems - no breach of confidentiality of course). Did they get an explanation at all?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not anti-vaccine, or scared of it or anything like that. Just CBA Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Did they get an explanation at all?

I didn't get told any more than that except that everyone was fine circa 48-72 hours later.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://order-order.com/2020/10/21/arts-council-gave-215305-in-coronavirus-recovery-to-solo-drag-act/#comments

Never mind the £215k Arts Council Covid recovery grant, this guy (gal?)'s making £107k/ year. I'm in the wrong job.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 96 of 172